Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Those of you without speed vibrations come inside please

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Those of you without speed vibrations come inside please

my buddy and I both are having speed vibes at around 55+mph and we for the life of us cant figure it out. Anyone not have any vibes? Anyones sun visors not shake? Can you guys see out of your sideview and rearview mirrors? If so please share your suspension and drivetrain setup. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2011, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Tires with uneven treadwear, out of balance wheel/tires, worn bushings/ball joints/tie rod ends, bent rims, bad alignment, improper tire inflation can all cause vibes at speed. Things that you can check yourself are tirewear, inflation, and tie rods. Get the front up on jackstands with the tires straight forward. Grab one of the front tires at 3 and 9 o'clock. Push with one hand, pull with the other hand. If you get any play, you may have worn tie rods. Remove/replace and get an alignment immediately.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^^^^Good Info^^^^^

If all that checks out, check driveshaft balance.. I have had multiple f-bodies with out of balance driveshafts. Quite inexpensive fix if it is out though.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see you have an aftermarket torque arm. Is your pinion angle set correctly? Mine wasn't and was causing a dreadful vibration. I have since had it set correctly, and I am now vibration free.

Actually, that was a lie. That only helped it. New ball joints, tie rods, and an alignment fixed the small vibrations I had at 80+ and now the car is completely solid.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tremiles
Tires with uneven treadwear, out of balance wheel/tires, worn bushings/ball joints/tie rod ends, bent rims, bad alignment, improper tire inflation can all cause vibes at speed. Things that you can check yourself are tirewear, inflation, and tie rods. Get the front up on jackstands with the tires straight forward. Grab one of the front tires at 3 and 9 o'clock. Push with one hand, pull with the other hand. If you get any play, you may have worn tie rods. Remove/replace and get an alignment immediately.
That is defintely good info...I am going to try to rule some of those out now though.

My tires are basically new ~5000 miles
My wheels were just re mounted and roadforced balanced
I have not checked my ball joints and tie rod ends, but i definitely will, however its more of a driveline vibration (i feel it through my seats on my butt lol)
Again my wheels were just balanced and I witnessed it first hand on the balancer they are not bent.
The car hasnt been aligned since ive owned it and who knows if the previous owner aligned it...gotta check that out.
And my tire pressures are all good
I am definitely going to check for tie rod play though thanks for your post! If you have anymore input I am all ears!

Originally Posted by SVThuh
^^^^^Good Info^^^^^

If all that checks out, check driveshaft balance.. I have had multiple f-bodies with out of balance driveshafts. Quite inexpensive fix if it is out though.
The thing is, I had the vibration with my stock ds, i borrowed my buddies ds, and now I have a brand new strange moly ds...so I dont think its the ds balance?

Originally Posted by qwikz28
I see you have an aftermarket torque arm. Is your pinion angle set correctly? Mine wasn't and was causing a dreadful vibration. I have since had it set correctly, and I am now vibration free.

Actually, that was a lie. That only helped it. New ball joints, tie rods, and an alignment fixed the small vibrations I had at 80+ and now the car is completely solid.
I have been toying around with my pinion angle for a long time now, and I have gotten it pretty close, but never 100% gone. I understand that it is an f-body and not a cadillac, but I just want to be able to go fast and not feel like the thing is going to vibrate itself apart. And as luck would have it driveline vibrations are like the one thing i cant stand. Bring on loud exhausts, rattles, anything but the driveline vibes...

And again its definitely a driveline vibration, would changing my ball joints and tie rods help that? Its more behind me...if that makes any sense.

Thanks for the input fellas, keep it coming!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alignments don't cause vibes, but if you never had one I would rec one. They should check your front end for you before they perform the alignment
Old 05-16-2011, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't know if you replaced the u-joints when the driveshaft was replaced, but i'd check those, too
Old 05-16-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll second the pinion angle and/or the u-joints.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

are your shocks ok?
Old 05-16-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
don't know if you replaced the u-joints when the driveshaft was replaced, but i'd check those, too
We both have brand new driveshafts with new u joints

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I'll second the pinion angle and/or the u-joints.
I just re-checked my pinion angle, I used the maddog method (put the angle finder on the torque arm and bring it to -2 and call it a day)

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
are your shocks ok?
My shocks are stock decarbons with about 45k on them, but my buddy has bilsteins with around 10 k on them
Old 05-16-2011, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by silversrtman

I just re-checked my pinion angle, I used the maddog method (put the angle finder on the torque arm and bring it to -2 and call it a day)
I know I am going to get flamed here, but to check your pinion angle you need to set the pinion relative to the engine crank. Do a search and you will find that method. Yes, people swear you can set the pinion relative to the driveshaft and it doesn't vibrate, but that is a crock of sh*t.

I spent 2 years chasing a damn driveline vibration with my dana 60, and the way that mounts in the car didn't line up like the 10 bolt did. I called a speed shop that was local to me in MN and they asked me all the mods, and they said bingo it is your pinion angle. I told them how I set it and that I read it on the interweb and they laughed at me. I guess they hear that all the time, and it is the wrong way to do it. I set my pinion -1 degree from the engine crank, and BOOM driveline vibration GONE! two years it took me to figure this out. UGH. but I finally fixed it. Trust me, set it this way and if it was your pinion angle, that vibration will be gone.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1BAD02WS6
Alignments don't cause vibes, but if you never had one I would rec one. They should check your front end for you before they perform the alignment
This would be my first move. I was shocked at how solid it made my car. New ball joints, tie rods, and an alignment did wonders to make my car smoother. I don't know how, but it did.

I'm not crazy either.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Poly motor mounts will be transferring more vibrations...
Old 05-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Staging Lane

i've been having a strange sound from my driveline also. i suspect the driveshaft, and as you said, might as well replace u-joints while at it.
its almost a thumping sound at various points of the rpm range at WOT.

otherwise no vibrations at all!
however my sunvisor does swing back when i romp the throttle though! and swings forward again on the brakes hahaha need velcro or something...
Old 05-17-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did not see anywhere but I assume your torque arm is not still attached to the transmission. If it is still attached that seems to cause a lot of vibration.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TurbopigB4C
I did not see anywhere but I assume your torque arm is not still attached to the transmission. If it is still attached that seems to cause a lot of vibration.
You are saying having the TA still attached to the tailshaft is causing vibrations? I have a UMI xmember for the TA that i have been putting off installing because I figured it would just transmit all the vibrations right under my *** instead of disappating them throughout the tranny.....Maybe I will install it and see....at this point I will try anything. Thanks for the input
Old 05-18-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

In for some tech. My junk shakes at 40mph like a ****. I can see the steering wheel shake.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by silversrtman
You are saying having the TA still attached to the tailshaft is causing vibrations? I have a UMI xmember for the TA that i have been putting off installing because I figured it would just transmit all the vibrations right under my *** instead of disappating them throughout the tranny.....Maybe I will install it and see....at this point I will try anything. Thanks for the input
Once I installed my relocation cross member and a new energy trans mount my vibrations went away.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BAD02WS6
Bad alignments cause uneven tire wear and THAT causes vibrations. So yes, alignments do cause vibrations. They cost you a pair of tires too.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
In for some tech. My junk shakes at 40mph like a ****. I can see the steering wheel shake.
^^Out of round,cupped,seperated or out of balance front tires

silversrtman you could run the car at speeds with it on jack stands (have the rear up by the axle) and look for anything bent or out of round.

Quick Reply: Those of you without speed vibrations come inside please