Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI STB Fitment Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default UMI STB Fitment Issue

Hey guys,

So I just picked up a NBM '98 Z28 and I ordered up the basic UMI suspension stuff. Went to install the strut tower brace and it would not fit. Its like it was too long from tower-to-tower. The flange bolt holes would clear on one side and on the other side one of the studs would rest on the outer edge of the flange. Has anyone ever had a dud from UMI or could it be that my car's unibody is fucked??
Old 05-19-2011, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was the same case when I purchased one for my 2000 SS. No matter which way I tried, I couldn't get it to fit for some reason. It was weird. Your not alone. I'm curous to hear if anyone else has had this problem but got it to work. Funny part is after giving up on the install I gave it to my buddy with a 97 SS. It fit on his car perfect...
Old 05-19-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This might be a stupid question, but did you try to set the bar into the bolts evenly, each side at the same time? Try that, and don't be afraid to use a rubber hammer to hit each side, a little at a time so that the 2 sides don't become too uneven along their bolts. I had a BMR stb intalled on my '99, then later sold it to a friend who had a '97 and it just took a little bit of that rubber hammer, and everything fit like a glove!
Old 05-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by V68Sweep
This might be a stupid question, but did you try to set the bar into the bolts evenly, each side at the same time? Try that, and don't be afraid to use a rubber hammer to hit each side, a little at a time so that the 2 sides don't become too uneven along their bolts. I had a BMR stb intalled on my '99, then later sold it to a friend who had a '97 and it just took a little bit of that rubber hammer, and everything fit like a glove!
Tried every which way, there is no way it will fit unless i cut it, shorten it and re-weld it, or use like a screw jack between the strut towers to spread them apart. Glad to know that I'm not alone on this issue. However it could very well be my car.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It happens once or twice a year and it is usually the car and not the brace... it is odd.

Try placing a jack under the center of the k-member and jacking up until the front tires are just off the ground. Try installing it then and see if it fits, this allows the shock towers to relax.

Good luck!
Old 05-19-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That actually sounds like a great idea! I am so glad we have sponsors in here who can pick up our (mainly my?) messes! haha
Old 05-19-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

sell it. its not needed anyway
Old 05-19-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Haha maybe if it fits after lifting the car by the k member so that the "towers relax", as suggested, the car DOES need it!!
Old 05-19-2011, 07:54 PM
10 Second Club

i had same issue with my umi stb, i drilled the holes a lil bit and got it in.
UMI also said it must be my car. weird huh!!
Old 05-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
It happens once or twice a year and it is usually the car and not the brace... it is odd.

Try placing a jack under the center of the k-member and jacking up until the front tires are just off the ground. Try installing it then and see if it fits, this allows the shock towers to relax.

Good luck!
Tried that, doesnt make a bit of difference. Its like the only way to get it to fit is to put a screw jack between the strut towers and push them apart. Not about to do that so I guess I have to get rid of it.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HOLY SMOKE!!!

Here we go again....you CANNOT get the shock tower brace in place, unless you A) remove the nuts from the upper shock mount on ONE side of the car, and remove the nuts AND bolts from the other side of the car; B) loosen/remove the sway bar link on ONE side of the car; C) lift the front of the car, and push down on the wheel that you took both the nuts and bolts off. As the studs from the upper shock mount go down into the wheel well, put the STB in place; D) bring the wheel back up, and guide the studs through the STB; E) replace all hardware and lower car to the ground.

THIS IS SIMPLE GEOMERTY! The shock towers of the car are constructed in an angle, which creates an inverted "V" shape. You can't get the tabs of the STB over both sets of studs at the same time. You have to "drop" one of the upper shock mounts, so you clear the studs, in order to do the install......
Old 05-20-2011, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL ... verbalized with a lot more tact than I was going to use.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Last weekend, I was installing strano springs and koni's and I removed my STB. I removed it with the front end jacked up, with stands behind the front wheels and put it back on the same way with no issues. Mind you I have a SLP STB but worth a try with the UMI.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

If it just drops on, all you have is the fastner clamping force to prevent movement.
Simple physics.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's more likely the 10+ year old car, and not the brand new precision made piece. Mine fit like a glove.

I can't believe so many people believe that a strut tower brace doesn't do anything. I've noticed a difference in every one I've ever installed on 93-02 cars. Definitely makes a difference, steering feels more "exact" going around corners. A great, cheap mod IMO.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wait till you change the air in the tires ... some much more grip!
Old 05-21-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
It's more likely the 10+ year old car, and not the brand new precision made piece. Mine fit like a glove.
I'm not sure I understand your point....I have a '96 Z-28, bought it brand new in Oct. of '95. Installed an LG Motorsports 4 point STB on it about 18 months later. I had to "lower" one of the upper shock mounts (per the instructions) in order to install the part then, and in later years, when I've either made suspension mods, or fixed engine oil leaks (it IS an LT1), and I've had to remove the STB, I've ALWAYS had to lower one of the upper shock mounts....there's NO OTHER WAY!!
Old 05-21-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I'm not sure I understand your point....I have a '96 Z-28, bought it brand new in Oct. of '95. Installed an LG Motorsports 4 point STB on it about 18 months later. I had to "lower" one of the upper shock mounts (per the instructions) in order to install the part then, and in later years, when I've either made suspension mods, or fixed engine oil leaks (it IS an LT1), and I've had to remove the STB, I've ALWAYS had to lower one of the upper shock mounts....there's NO OTHER WAY!!
4 point is completely different than a 2 point so I'm not sure I understand your point? If the instructions told you to lower the shock mounts, thats obviously how it was designed to be installed. The 2 point UMI STB are supposed to slip on after you remove the nuts. That's what the instructions say, and that's exactly how it works unless the geometry of the front end is messed up in some way (not hard to come by on a 10+ year old vehicle, especially a flimsy F-body with torque that usually get driven hard)
Old 05-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Teching In

My slp stb fit right right on my 99 z28.don't understand the problem,front end issues?
Old 05-22-2011, 08:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
4 point is completely different than a 2 point so I'm not sure I understand your point? If the instructions told you to lower the shock mounts, thats obviously how it was designed to be installed. The 2 point UMI STB are supposed to slip on after you remove the nuts. That's what the instructions say, and that's exactly how it works unless the geometry of the front end is messed up in some way (not hard to come by on a 10+ year old vehicle, especially a flimsy F-body with torque that usually get driven hard)
NO, it is NOT completely different. The only difference is that the 3 or 4 point STBs also connect to the firewall. This, however, does NOT change the face that the bar has to go over the studs of the upper shock mount....

OK, I'm going to edit this, to avoid what appears to be some confusion. After looking at both BMR and UMI's sites, it appears that they are using "slots" on their STBs, instead of holes. I imagine that they are doing this for ease of installation, however it may allow for some movement or "flexure" at the mounting point of the STB. The LG Motorsports STB that I have has 4 distinct holes in the mounting tabs, and this STB mounts "snugly" over the shock mount studs, therefore it is impossible to install my STB without dropping the shock/spring ***'y.

Apparently, the STB that "mitchntx" either has, or has seen, is constructed the same as mine, therefore his agreement with me, on the mounting procedure....

Last edited by leadfoot4; 05-22-2011 at 08:47 AM.

Quick Reply: UMI STB Fitment Issue