Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bilsteins, Stranos, and OEM bumpstops

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bilsteins, Stranos, and OEM bumpstops

Quick question on this combo - do I need to put the OEM bumpstop on the Bilstein shocks sans the metal hat that came off the original shocks? The OD of the hat is larger than the inside of the top coil of the spring, which seems like it would cause some issues once everything is compressed and assembled (not to mention hitting bumps on the road), but without that hat, I can't see that the top strut mount has anything to sit on.
Attached Thumbnails Bilsteins, Stranos, and OEM bumpstops-imag0150-medium-.jpg  
Old 07-19-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My OEM dustboots (which include the metal hat & bumpstop) went on my Bilsteins just fine with no issues on my RS... Of course I am using OEM springs. I never saw black Strano springs...

I'm not sure how much different the Koni shock dust boots are in size, but Stano's springs may have been designed with the Konis in mind?
Old 07-20-2011, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

The spring in the background is my stock one...tearing everything apart at work since I don't have air tools in the garage yet.

The Koni stops are a good bit different from the OEM ones as I think they're just a push fit onto the shock shaft itself, whereas the GM one is designed to sit in the little hat that sits on the step on the shock shaft. I wound up having to order two new upper shock/spring mounts (the sleeve inside both had torn completely loose and rust-welded to the shocks), but I may have to pull the busted ones out of the trash just to mock things up and see what fits.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

That cap you have on there is the cap for the top of the shock body, which is there on the Bilstein in the photo. You need the bumpstop, the metal washer the dustboot hangs from (and that the bumpstop hits). That cap with the round detents is now extra.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-20-2011, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ Nah, that cap in the photo is the OEM dust boot cap which has the dimples, minus the plastic sleave that goes on it...
Old 07-20-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Right - I've already got the smaller-diameter shock cap that came with the Bilsteins hammered on (after the lower spring perch went on). The ugly metal cap the bump stop is sitting in (with the circular detents to hold the bump stop in) is the same that the stock shock boot sits on (that boot got mangled and had to be cut off) - so it does stay on, correct?
Old 07-20-2011, 03:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Looks a bit different without the boot (and from the others I've seen). Where is the boot anyway?

And there should be room for it inside the spring. Alternatively if you opt not to run the dustboot you could just go get a big OD washer and use that instead.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-20-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, I'm a dumbass...I completely forgot about the lower part of the upper spring mount that the coil sits around, and that hits the bump stop hat once everything's compressed together.

Off to the corner I go.

Quick Reply: Bilsteins, Stranos, and OEM bumpstops