Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Heim Joint Boot ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Heim Joint Boot ?

I did a quick search on here and didn't find my answer, so here goes:

This weekend I installed a whole bunch of suspension upgrades for a 2000 B4C and 2002 Z28. The list includes the heater hose mod for each, Poly/Poly LCAs on the Z, Founders' double adjustable (heim/heim) PHB and corrected Torque Arm pinion angles. I'm reflecting, and though I know people prefer the Polyurethane ends on LCAs for road noise, I'm concerned they won't last if I do any kind of cornering due to binding. I don't intend on road racing, but the car with the Poly/Poly LCAs is a daily driver.

So now I understand why a Heim Joint may be favorable for LCAs and perhaps a PHB, what with the articulation in the rear end. But road grime will ruin these Heim Joints eventually. I've heard and read about Heim Joint boots to protect these ends. It sounds like the best for a daily driver would be Heim Joints with boots, but I don't see any information about boots on Founders' website.

Here are the questions: do Heim Joint boots help in our daily driving applications? Assuming LCA and PHB ends are the same size, what size Heim Boots should I be looking for? Any kind of feedback will be appreciated!

Old 08-22-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Seals-It makes boots for them. For a car that sees street duties you can check out their sealflex elastomer ends also. I recommended them to someone else on here, and they loved them. Yes, boots keep the grime out of the joint.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
Seals-It makes boots for them. For a car that sees street duties you can check out their sealflex elastomer ends also. I recommended them to someone else on here, and they loved them. Yes, boots keep the grime out of the joint.
Interesting, the sealflex ends looks like exactly what I needed from the start! I may have to upgrade to these when the original ends wear out In the mean time, I'm looking at the Seals-it RERS part numbers... and I've come back to a question: are the standard rod ends for adjustable LCAs and PHBs 3/4" or 1"? I seem to recall using a 1" wrench for the jam nuts, but there were a lot of wrenches under there... an RERS4 should be used on 7/8"-1" ends, while an RERS 3 fits 1/2" to 3/4".

Which one are our LCAs and PHB typically? I have Founders' pieces, but I recall my UMI pieces being similarly sized. Thanks for the response!
Old 08-22-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Found the answer on the Founders' website... 3/4", so for now, I'm doing a 6pk of Seals-it RERS3 boots. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-06-2011, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Installed 5 boots this weekend, they fit REALLY tight! Founders' expressed concern that water could get in and ruin the joint, but these things fit so tight since a 3/4" is on the bigger side for a RERS-3, I have no clue how any appreciable water could accumulate in these things...
Old 09-27-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you get these seals? Did they help with the noise at all? I have some noise coming from the rear and I believe its these noisy heim suspension ends?
Old 09-27-2011, 03:11 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be curious to see how these hold up over time - I've used Seals-it boots in the past, and over time, the rubber started cracking (probably over the span of a year or so). These are a much different design, though, so maybe it wouldn't be an issue.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never used the boots, but I did use the regular seals-it seals and they worked great for about 35k miles, which is when I replaced the Rod-Ends; and while they were bad, they weren't completely shot.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by T/A KID
Where did you get these seals? Did they help with the noise at all? I have some noise coming from the rear and I believe its these noisy heim suspension ends?
I'm understanding the noise develops over time, and that it comes from the liner being worn away by road grime. The boots wouldn't fix that, but prevent the dirt from getting there to begin with.

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I'd be curious to see how these hold up over time - I've used Seals-it boots in the past, and over time, the rubber started cracking (probably over the span of a year or so). These are a much different design, though, so maybe it wouldn't be an issue.
Originally Posted by 97FormulaWS-6
I never used the boots, but I did use the regular seals-it seals and they worked great for about 35k miles, which is when I replaced the Rod-Ends; and while they were bad, they weren't completely shot.
I just got under the car and took a look. The boots haven't been on long, maybe 5-6 months now. I was pleased to see the boots were still tight on the spacers. I just poked around a bit, but it was pretty nice seeing clean surfaces under the boots! Not very scientific, but just what I've seen

I was wondering, are the heim joints used on UMI and BMR torque arms the same size as the ones used on their PHBs and LCAs?

Edit: Nevermind, they are 3/4" for PHBs, LCAs and TAs

Last edited by themealonwheels; 02-22-2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Found UMI info
Old 02-22-2012, 09:50 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
I
I was wondering, are the heim joints used on UMI and BMR torque arms the same size as the ones used on their PHBs and LCAs?
Our torque arms don't use rod ends or heim joints, they use a solid rod eye. There is no bearing or moving items, just a solid hole.

I hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 02-22-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Our torque arms don't use rod ends or heim joints, they use a solid rod eye. There is no bearing or moving items, just a solid hole.

I hope that helps,
Ryan

I was talking about on your adjustable torque arms near the rear, and not the holes to bolt the torque arm to the rear end housing... is this what you are referring to? Because your site indicates you use rod ends.

From PN 2205:
"This set-up features on-car adjustability for easy pinion angle adjustments using a 4140 Heat treated adjuster and ¾" QA1 Rod ends, truly the ultimate arm on the market at the most affordable price!"
Old 02-22-2012, 02:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The description is incorrect, it should say rod eye not a rod end.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=456
Old 02-23-2012, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
The description is incorrect, it should say rod eye not a rod end.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=456
Ah, I suppose that makes sense... thanks for the response!

Quick Reply: Heim Joint Boot ?