Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Subframe Connectors (SFC questions)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Subframe Connectors (SFC questions)

I was looking at getting some SFC's and was wondering what everyone would recommend. I have read here that you have to remove your interior when you weld in SFC's, is that true? If so that throws weld in's out of the question. So here are the options I am considering:

1. J&M 3pt. weld in http://www.CamaroPartsOutlet.com/83435/1.html

2. Boxed 2pt. bolt in

3. Tubular 2pt. bolt in

For the 2pt's I would go with whichever brand is the cheapest, and could always weld them in later if needed.

So what are the advantages of 3pt. vs. 2pt. and boxed vs. tubular? I don't want to get into the "do they even make a difference" argument, but wondering if 3pt. are overkill for a street car that may never see a drag strip. My main reason for getting them is as insurance against the rippled quarter panels, and doors that don't close right.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I currently have UMI 3-points. The third point bolts to your tunnel brace mounts. This makes the car VERY rigid, even more so if you have a tunnel mounted torque arm.

I've never removed any interior when welding in both sets of SFCs...I started with 2-point SFCs, then replaced them with 3-points when I got a tunnel mounted torque arm.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS.666
I currently have UMI 3-points. The third point bolts to your tunnel brace mounts. This makes the car VERY rigid, even more so if you have a tunnel mounted torque arm.

I've never removed any interior when welding in both sets of SFCs...I started with 2-point SFCs, then replaced them with 3-points when I got a tunnel mounted torque arm.
When saying 3pt's "make the car VERY rigid" do you mean almost too much for street driving? Overall would you recommend SFC's for street driving, how do they effect the ride quality? And from your experiences with both sets, which would you recommend for the type of driving I have tried to describe?

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-06-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by z-camaro
So what are the advantages of 3pt. vs. 2pt. and boxed vs. tubular? I don't want to get into the "do they even make a difference" argument, but wondering if 3pt. are overkill for a street car that may never see a drag strip. My main reason for getting them is as insurance against the rippled quarter panels, and doors that don't close right.

Thanks
Im not going to get into the "do they make a difference" argument, but I can tell you personally they don't do anything for 1/4 panel dimples or doors not lining up. 1/4 panel dimples are often from cars getting wheel hop, which shakes the rear quarter panels, which the SFCs do NOT brace at all (they only brace up to the front of the rear control arms). Many have installed them and still get quarter panel dimples.
Doors not lining up are from the doors being overly heavy on weak hinges. The chassis stays strait, the doors actually sag.
If you want to buy them then by all means go for it, they won't hurt you (other than adding weight).

When saying 3pt's "make the car VERY rigid" do you mean almost too much for street driving? Overall would you recommend SFC's for street driving, how do they effect the ride quality? And from your experiences with both sets, which would you recommend for the type of driving I have tried to describe?

Thanks for the help!
I have bolt-ins that I had welded, they didn't make any difference at all with anything.
If you are looking to make the car feel all around more solid, stable, and ride better you need good shocks, nothing will make more of a difference.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Im not going to get into the "do they make a difference" argument, but I can tell you personally they don't do anything for 1/4 panel dimples or doors not lining up. 1/4 panel dimples are often from cars getting wheel hop, which shakes the rear quarter panels, which the SFCs do NOT brace at all (they only brace up to the front of the rear control arms). Many have installed them and still get quarter panel dimples.
Doors not lining up are from the doors being overly heavy on weak hinges. The chassis stays strait, the doors actually sag.
If you want to buy them then by all means go for it, they won't hurt you (other than adding weight).

I have bolt-ins that I had welded, they didn't make any difference at all with anything.
If you are looking to make the car feel all around more solid, stable, and ride better you need good shocks, nothing will make more of a difference.
I can't get over the mixed reviews on these, half say its a night and day difference, and the rest say they are useless. I will have to see if I can get a ride in one that has them to get my own opinion on them. As for shocks, I plan on leaving them how they are. I have the Bilstein stage 2 suspension package that came on the 'Hawk, which I think are half way decent.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I can't get over the mixed reviews on these, half say its a night and day difference, and the rest say they are useless. I will have to see if I can get a ride in one that has them to get my own opinion on them. As for shocks, I plan on leaving them how they are. I have the Bilstein stage 2 suspension package that came on the 'Hawk, which I think are half way decent.
Im with you on that one dude. Most guys will say its so worth it then a guy like Sam Strano will chime in and say something totally different. WTF?!
Old 09-06-2011, 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

SFCs.......are like the ugly drunk fat chick at the bar..........if it makes ya feel good..........do it
Old 09-07-2011, 11:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dont you kinda need SFCs on cars with a **** ton of hp that you intend to drag race?

I prefer to to warp my chassi
Old 09-07-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I noticed a difference in both of my cars after installing subframe connectors. Cuts down on squeaks and rattles, and makes the car feel more solid. I've done alot more suspension work to my M6 car than my A4 car, and as others have stated, good shocks and springs make a big difference. Both of my cars have UMI boxed SFC that are 2 pt weld ins. I didn't pull any interior. When I had the last set welded in, I was under the car with a spray water bottle, and when the welder would finish a section, I would cool it immediately.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the help!
Ride quality comes from your movable suspension. Though my favorite party trick is to jack my car up from the front jack point and have the entire side of the car lift. Absolutely no body flex...6-point roll cage adds to that as well. I'd recommend 3-points, so in the future you're not cutting the old ones off and rewelding again.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

In my own experience, UMI 2 point weld-ins on my A4 car stiffened the response to bumps and increased impact harshness. I still get dimples, but the crease I got in my RR quarter from dead hooking has not come back since the SFC's.

I recently did UMI bolt-ins on my M6. They've stiffened the car, but also made about a 75% reduction in the t-top creaking I had, which about had me ready to sell it.

I don't really like them for ride, but in both cases they've helped with problem that motivated me to install them.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I like the square tube version if for nothing else unlimited jacking potential on either side of the car.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I like the square tube version if for nothing else unlimited jacking potential on either side of the car.
+1, Square tubing is a lot more rigid than the round. I actually designed my own based of of UMI's and they ended up fitting perfect! It's nice to have access at work to 3D Modeling (I'm in an Engineering Dept.), a CNC Lazer, full machine shop, and powder coating lol

Subframe connectors DO stiffen the chassis. For Example, before I welded in my SFC's I had the car jacked up from just behind the front tire. The front left wheel was just off the ground and the rear was firmly planted, the rear suspension hardly flexing. After I was done installing the SFC's I did the exact same thing. Now when I put a jack behind the front tire, when the front tire is just off the ground the rear tire is about ready to come off the ground as well.

Last edited by Camaro Z; 09-11-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Teching In

I have SFCs and I like the way my car felt without them. With 180k on the car and living in an area with horrible streets and highways, SFCs only created new squeaks and rattles.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

i have them an love it.. made the car more firm.

but, maybe aftermarket companies sell stuff for no reason. since some people want to say they dont do anything..
Old 09-11-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's not that they don't do anything, they do. However they are not the cure all that everyone thinks. A lot of what SFC's do is hide symptoms of poorly set up suspensions. I personally feel you should get the car right first and then add the SFC's. They won't be a night and day difference at this point but they will add some strength to the car. All that said, I still havn't installed them on my car.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
i have them an love it.. made the car more firm.

but, maybe aftermarket companies sell stuff for no reason. since some people want to say they dont do anything..
Just like a STB too right? What about the ebay tornado intake?
Just because someone makes something doesn't mean it does anything useful. That being said I do believe SFC's stiffen the chassis some, but nothing noticeable to the driver. If you want something to make the car feel solid, its shocks, period.

Originally Posted by Camaro Z
Subframe connectors DO stiffen the chassis. For Example, before I welded in my SFC's I had the car jacked up from just behind the front tire. The front left wheel was just off the ground and the rear was firmly planted, the rear suspension hardly flexing. After I was done installing the SFC's I did the exact same thing. Now when I put a jack behind the front tire, when the front tire is just off the ground the rear tire is about ready to come off the ground as well.
Did you jack the car up on the exact same point, or did you jack it up on the SFCs?
Also using suspension droop is a horrible comparison, the rear droops WAY more than the front, and has much much softer springs, plus its a solid axle, its going to stay closer to the floor than the front suspension, its not chassis flex its suspension geometry.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Did you jack the car up on the exact same point, or did you jack it up on the SFCs?
Also using suspension droop is a horrible comparison, the rear droops WAY more than the front, and has much much softer springs, plus its a solid axle, its going to stay closer to the floor than the front suspension, its not chassis flex its suspension geometry.
I understand that the rear has more travel, that's not what I was implying and I didn't explain that very well. I was simply using it as an example that when you jack it up there is less chassis flex when you jack the car up from behind the front tire. Try this on a car with no SFC's and the rear of the car will barely begin to lift:

I'm by no means saying that SFC's make a huge improvement in handling/straight line performance, but they do stiffen the chassis.

Last edited by Camaro Z; 09-11-2011 at 08:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Subframe Connectors (SFC questions)