Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Paging UMI, Motor Mount Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 10:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Paging UMI, Motor Mount Question

Hey UMI, I was wondering if your solid motor mounts raise the engine at all like my Spohn's. I know they allow no sag so it may raise a touch but the Spohn's raise it kind of a bit. I am trying to fit a M122 blower on top here and need all the clearance I can get.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good morning ShortChevy. The mount is intended to be stock height. I grabbed one from the shelf and it measured 1-1/8 from base to center of hole.

Can you measure your Spohns?

ramey
Old 11-02-2011, 11:54 AM
12 Second Club

The spohns are a different setup. Basically a plate, tube and another plate that bolts to the engine. Do you have any installed pics? Problem with the spohns are they are built square to the K member. I beleive the angle of the side of the engine is different so when using the straight 90* pipe off the k member the engine raises to up a bit. Problem is I am dealing with a blower that was never intended for an fbody and Maggie never even bother to make a kit because of clearance issues.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:59 AM
FormerVendor

I just checked out their mount. Do you still have the factory clam shell around? We could add our numbers then compare that to the Spohn's.

ramey
Old 11-02-2011, 12:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
I just checked out their mount. Do you still have the factory clam shell around? We could add our numbers then compare that to the Spohn's.

ramey
I might still have the stand and mounts at home. I will check tonight. Thanks for your help. I am thinking your RR K and MM's should be a pretty sweet setup for this deal. Any sales coming up? Christmas or anything? I need a trans X member with TA relo too.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:26 PM
FormerVendor

Cool. If we can measure the base of your mount to center line and add it to mine we should be able to tell the factory height. I looked in the shop and don't have any spares. Also looked on our shop cars but can't get in to get an accurate measurement. If we're talking an eighth of an inch I'd rather be accurate.

Thanks for considering the K and TA parts from UMI. And yes, it makes for a pretty nice setup. Lots of room w the fabricated K member. TA relo works awesome and is bulletproof.

Oh, and almost forgot, we are having a Thanksgiving sale from that Thursday through Monday. Watch website for details!

have a good day

ramey

Last edited by UMI Sales; 11-02-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: added sentence
Old 11-02-2011, 07:17 PM
12 Second Club

I am 90% sure the solid aluminum UMI mounts are stock height. I eyeballed them when i swapped them out and it was very close to stock clamshell dimensions.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Do you notice any difference between the stock and solid mounts?
Old 11-02-2011, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

response seems to be "tighter" i have the spohns, however, really you notice mostly some vibrations, for me they only come in during certain rpms, so i just stay away from those, like at 63-64 mph it sucks so i go 65 or 60. that's about all i have noticed. . . .
Old 11-03-2011, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cobra20
Do you notice any difference between the stock and solid mounts?
I love my solids. I wouldn't even raise this issue if I wasn't going to be trying something only a few have tried. There is some slight vibes at very low RPM, like right off idle. They go after a couple hundred RPM. I have zero at idle and zero throughout the RPM range. These LS motors are so smooth and balanced they just don't put out the vibes. BTW, I have a decent sized cam, didn't change the vibes much going from stock to H/C/I. There are more pluses though. Better traction, more power to the ground, **** load of room, no more broken trans mounts, my exhuast is tucked within a 1/8" of the floor. I have custom 3" true duals so that was a major plus. Better traction comes from taking the shock load out of the drivetrain flopping over and shocking the chassis, you really feel the car dig and launch better.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I was wondering because I'm looking at possibly getting an 02 SS that needs the engine rebuilt and I was thinking while I have the engine out why not replace the mounts.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:30 AM
FormerVendor

Hey guys. Just got confirmation the UMI solids are indeed stock height.

Quick Reply: Paging UMI, Motor Mount Question