Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Updating my brakes (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Updating my brakes (Pics)

So today I picked up Hawk HPS pads, Goodridge G-Stop clear coated stainless steel brake lines, and AP Ultra brake fluid (typical dry boiling point of 516 deg., and wet boiling point of 369 deg.). I haven't gotten the rotors yet, which will be zinc plated J-hook rotors, with directional vanes. I'm really excited for the SS lines-I've been driving around with OEM rubber lines ever since I purchased the car about 10 years ago

UPDATED: Here are my J-Slot rotors...

Since my picture won't load, here is a description of the J-Slot/Hook functions straight from an AP Racing catalog: "Traditional groove designes achieve this (face cleaning, increase abrasive friction, cover whole braking face and avoid creating stress raisers) with straight or curved groove running from the braking face inside diameter to its outside diameter. This is very efffective, however when the disc face heats up the groove acts like a cold spot. This creates a thermal distortion on the braking face, which reduces braking efficiency. The 'J-hook' design provides for a constant path of evenly distorted material on the braking face, the pad never loses contact with the braking face, improving the friction characteristics and brake performance"

Now since these rotors are from Stillen Sportsparts (they are the only distributor of AP brakes in North America), they are called J-Slots, not J-hooks, but the function is the same. The guy that designed my rotors said that this design has never been done on these GM vehicles, and he gave me a unique cut, which will cut down on braking noise and gives me the only design of these rotors in the world.

Oh, and these rotor veins are unidirectional.
Attached Thumbnails Updating my brakes (Pics)-brakepad.jpg   Updating my brakes (Pics)-brakegroup.jpg   Updating my brakes (Pics)-brakelines1.jpg   Updating my brakes (Pics)-brakelines2.jpg   Updating my brakes (Pics)-apfluid.jpg  

Updating my brakes (Pics)-jslot1.jpg   Updating my brakes (Pics)-jslot2.jpg   Updating my brakes (Pics)-jslot4.jpg   Updating my brakes (Pics)-jslot5.jpg  

Last edited by V68Sweep; 03-12-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a good little upgrade. I think when I get my new rotors soon Ill do some braided brake lines as well. Post pictures when your done.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do the brake lines help it stop better? Nice i run hawk hps and quite slot rotors.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MRMonster
Looks like a good little upgrade. I think when I get my new rotors soon Ill do some braided brake lines as well. Post pictures when your done.
Thanks, and I definitely will!

Originally Posted by JUSTINSWS6
Do the brake lines help it stop better? Nice i run hawk hps and quite slot rotors.
Yes they do; they "increase braking efficiency" and "elimitates sponginess under heavy braking" so says the back of the box. They give a very firm and consistant brake pedal feel because they don't flex at all unlike stock rubber lines.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump for update.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Launching!

In for an update as well.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EdgarB
In for an update as well.
I just picked up the rotors and the read pads today. I just wanted to post the pictures up of the brakes before they get installed
Old 03-12-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

cost of the rotors?
Old 03-12-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
cost of the rotors?
Well I used to work for Stillen so I got them at employee price. But they're not much more expensive than most drilled/slotted rotors. I had to pay a little more because they had to do custom cutting since they had never done them on any GM vehicles.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Now you need a good caliper to go with that J rotor. For the longest while I wanted to use AP Racing calipers, but I couldn't find a way to mount them, and in addition most don't have the street-friendly features. Since you have an inside connection, see if you can them to make a mounting bracket to use these calipers with the 4th Gen F-body?

If they balk, how about this instead?

http://www.essexparts.com/shop/compe...0-caliper.html
Old 03-13-2012, 02:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JimMueller
Now you need a good caliper to go with that J rotor. For the longest while I wanted to use AP Racing calipers, but I couldn't find a way to mount them, and in addition most don't have the street-friendly features. Since you have an inside connection, see if you can them to make a mounting bracket to use these calipers with the 4th Gen F-body?

If they balk, how about this instead?

http://www.essexparts.com/shop/compe...0-caliper.html
Unfortunately it's not that simple, to just make a mounting bracket. They have to have a 4th Gen F-body in the shop, it takes R&D and man hours so it's all very expensive. What Tech could do is gurantee a group buy. That way they know they have the funding and the market to sell to. I tried to get them to become a sponsor and make stuff for the 4th Gens, but it seems like our market is a bit difficult to get into because everything that could have been made has (except for urethane parts and big brake kits).

If you're seriously interested then send me a PM.

PS-I'd LOVE to see AP kits on our cars. AP is crazy!

Quick Reply: Updating my brakes (Pics)