Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

camaro lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by aQuickLS1
Geeze. If BMR and Strano are the best springs, then wouldnt you think they would be similar? After testing and trying to better a product things change. Just because you were the first doesn't mean someone with a similar design copied you. Maybe that's what happend... who knows.
Read what you just wrote....

They weren't similar before, all the while hearing how they had the "best" springs. We all believe we do. The fact of the matter is they changed what they claimed were the best.

After testing and trying a better product things change. EXACTLY MY POINT, but the claim is still the same as before with them. How do you know they won't change again the next time the wind shifts?

We know the company that makes their springs was completely willing to try and copy anything they are given. And we know that by their own admission they had some of my springs to check out a few years back. And low and behold a spring pops out that is different than what they had before. Do the math.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Suspension
For the third time, I am not getting into a pissing match about springs....have fun bloviating!!
It speaks volumes that BMR is professional and not resorting to childish whining and rants.

It's funny that BMR is called the copycat when Sam sells UMI parts who conveniently stole Bob Bishops old C5 brake bracket design.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:09 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
We need to get you guys together for dinner and drinks one night. Work some stuff out so we can go back to making ten threads a day about what spring should I buy for my 4th gen.
Beer and burgers with Sam sounds great to me....but my hunch is that Sam wouldn't show up.

I go to all the major LS and racing events......LSX Shootout, Holley LS Fest, SEMA, PRI. I am willing to get together at any one of these.

Sam and I have lots in common. We are both racers. We both won National Championships last year. We both own Camaros, Corvettes, and Mustangs. Lots to talk about.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 03-01-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vigil
It speaks volumes that BMR is professional and not resorting to childish whining and rants.
You serious?
Lets ignore that BMR copied parts, takes jabs at other vendors on here, and often get threads deleted with any bad rep in them to hide things like broken parts, and simply look at how "professional" a company is that owns:
umiparts.com
umisucks.com
umisucksdick.com
And naturally when called out on it (like now) they scurry to change the where they redirect to.

It's funny that BMR is called the copycat when Sam sells UMI parts who conveniently stole Bob Bishops old C5 brake bracket design.
Sounds like you have a bone to pick and are really trying anything to get it.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:28 AM
On The Tree

I personally enjoy the back and forth. Both seem to be very knowledgeable in their field and willing to fight for what they both believe to be true. They also naturally keep each other in check just in case one of them tries to bullshit us, they get called on it.

Competition is what allows us(the consumer) to be able to decipher what is best for us at a lower price. If only BMR or only Strano provded the"best" springs then we would be charged an arm and a leg for them.

I vote let them continue to go at it and learn what you can from it.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:11 AM
Teching In

+ 1 for strano. I said in another thread earlier "if everyone says koni's are the way to go, they must be godly" (or something like that) when reading threads about springs, "stranos" is all I hear. Picked them up, loved em. When talking about customer service, Sam, is the guy who talks to u, and is more then happy to answer ur questions over the phone. I'm happy to see Sam get pissed. That shows me passion, love for the work done to the product that he puts his name on.

All that said, I have nothing against BMR. Both parties are very knowledgable from what I read, and agree that competition is what drives us consumers to buy. I dont care which one of u guys made it first or who had the idea first, whatever. But if BMR really has the best springs, then I'd should be hearing more good things about it, instead of stranos.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Launching!

This is one of those threads that's going to mysteriously disappear instead of being locked and sinking.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say lets all meet at the starting line and have a little fun..
Old 03-10-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb

I don't know Sam, but this "pig" got a pretty good handling review here, and a couple quotes:

The Boss 302 "Feels and performs like it is a generation behind"

"The Camaro ZL1 is now the benchmark for a new generation of pony cars"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE4AH4DZtEI

On this episode of Head 2 Head, Chevrolet’s new 2012 Camaro ZL1 faces off against the reigning champion of the pony cars, Ford’s 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca Edition Mustang. Pro race driver Randy Pobst hot laps both cars around Inde Motorsports Ranch in Willcox, AZ to find out which modern muscle car reigns supreme.

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I get it, but you have to understand something that's critical to what I do and how I work. I'm a competitor first, and I want to be competitive (I want to win, but I can't always do it, though I do a lot). Hooking myself to an uncompetitive car is not good for my mental well-being or my business. Would I learn something about how to make it better? Probably, but improving a pig and making it a dog doesn't much interest me for competition, and I personally don't want to own one.

That said, it's a car. I've driven them, I know how they work, I have ideas on what I'd do and why to make it better. Even not owning one or racing one, my experience if far greater than many other's, even others that make parts for car. See, as much as folks like to think that guys who sell parts do it for fun, it is a job. It is a business, and it is how many of make a living. I'm not out to make everything for every car. Notice I only make a few things for a few cars, I usually use another vendor's something else. If it works, why make it myself, unless all I care about is profit???????

I didn't own a Corvette before last October, but setup 5 National Championship ones. I've never owned an MR2, but a customer won in one back in '02. I didn't have Mustang before 2007, and until I left FS, I was never beaten in one for a National Championship (and only 3 times over 4 years total at any event). I am pretty good at understanding cars, despite owning them or not. I need only drive them some to identify what I would change.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
I don't know Sam, but this "pig" got a pretty good handling review here, and a couple quotes:

The Boss 302 "Feels and performs like it is a generation behind"

"The Camaro ZL1 is now the benchmark for a new generation of pony cars"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE4AH4DZtEI

On this episode of Head 2 Head, Chevrolet’s new 2012 Camaro ZL1 faces off against the reigning champion of the pony cars, Ford’s 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca Edition Mustang. Pro race driver Randy Pobst hot laps both cars around Inde Motorsports Ranch in Willcox, AZ to find out which modern muscle car reigns supreme.
I think what you are missing isn't that the Camaro couldn't be made to handle, its what it can do within class limitations, and then how competitive it will be.
Something like the Zl1 will likely be in a class with high end cars like the ZR1, its not going to be competitive enough there.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I'll go with Strano.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Wow... I thought the political season was over.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:14 AM
Launching!

Im looking for a Spring/shock package for a 87 buick T-type, Street cruse Performance car, looking for a nice stance but "not" to low and not a rough ride. not to much info on the turbo buick boards, besides members saying one spring (moog) is the right height but too soft and saying another spring is nice and firm but to high, Please help, car is apart and im working , restoring her now while i have some time.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:30 AM
Launching!

Someone recomemded the Eibach G-Body spring kit to me , I couldnt find much out about the eibach set, so i gave eibach a call and found out that there Progressiave spring kit for my 87 buick is a 1" drop "linner" 657 pound per SQ front spring and a .8" drop 114-188 progressive rate spring for the rear , Hotchkiss has a one inch drop 600 pound per sq front spring set, IDK but 600-650 sounds like it would rattle my teeth loose.
On the buick boards 300-350 is soft and 400-450 is nice and firm but still a nice ride,
Old 01-31-2013, 11:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS2Ttype
Someone recomemded the Eibach G-Body spring kit to me , I couldnt find much out about the eibach set, so i gave eibach a call and found out that there Progressiave spring kit for my 87 buick is a 1" drop "linner" 657 pound per SQ front spring and a .8" drop 114-188 progressive rate spring for the rear , Hotchkiss has a one inch drop 600 pound per sq front spring set, IDK but 600-650 sounds like it would rattle my teeth loose.
On the buick boards 300-350 is soft and 400-450 is nice and firm but still a nice ride,
I would use a Hotchkis rear spring, 1" lowering, and a hybrid front coil, 450lb rate.

Like this:
http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=712

ramey
Old 01-31-2013, 01:26 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=UMI Sales;17107920]I would use a Hotchkis rear spring, 1" lowering, and a hybrid front coil, 450lb rate.

Hi Ramy

Thanks for your help, do you know the rate of the hotchkiss rear spring?
i looked at your link but i dont wnat to go with a coil over set up, its a street car, i dont like the ride of coil overs, my friend has a QA-1 coil over set up with BMR rear springs the car rides like ****!

I tryed reaching out to Strano, e-mail and a phone call, left a message last friday, never heard back, i heard something about him taking a Buick GN race 1/4 mile car and taking off the parts for street suspension, the new owner of the GN didnt like the way the car felt with Drag suspension on the street so strano helped him out and from what i heard it rode nice sat nice and there wasnt much of a difference in Performance when the car was taken back to the track, I would be interested in this set up, But i never heard back from him
Old 02-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Sam Strano Your the winner here (IMO)

Will be placing a order soon !
Old 02-04-2013, 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BMR here lol

I guess it just really comes down to the person that buys them, people have different preferences when it comes to ride smoothness or stiffness.

Point is both BMR and Strano springs are great springs, just people have different opinions about them. I have taken rides on different cars from my buddies and driven them with BMR and Strano springs, I liked BMRs better but that doesnt mean Strano springs suck by anymeans at all.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
BMR here lol

I guess it just really comes down to the person that buys them, people have different preferences when it comes to ride smoothness or stiffness.

Point is both BMR and Strano springs are great springs, just people have different opinions about them. I have taken rides on different cars from my buddies and driven them with BMR and Strano springs, I liked BMRs better but that doesnt mean Strano springs suck by anymeans at all.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

[QUOTE=LS2Ttype;17108208]
Originally Posted by UMI Sales
I would use a Hotchkis rear spring, 1" lowering, and a hybrid front coil, 450lb rate.

Hi Ramy

Thanks for your help, do you know the rate of the hotchkiss rear spring?
i looked at your link but i dont wnat to go with a coil over set up, its a street car, i dont like the ride of coil overs, my friend has a QA-1 coil over set up with BMR rear springs the car rides like ****!

I tryed reaching out to Strano, e-mail and a phone call, left a message last friday, never heard back, i heard something about him taking a Buick GN race 1/4 mile car and taking off the parts for street suspension, the new owner of the GN didnt like the way the car felt with Drag suspension on the street so strano helped him out and from what i heard it rode nice sat nice and there wasnt much of a difference in Performance when the car was taken back to the track, I would be interested in this set up, But i never heard back from him

First, I've been out of town. Second, I get a lot of email, and I have a spam filter that sometimes catches certain emails time and time again. I do my best to return all messages but I know that some get snagged and I don't see. And like I said, I've been traveling I'm currently in CA.

I love the internet <insert sarcasm here>. That GN wasn't a drag car, it was a street car that ran high 10's. the owner hated the ride, I took off the lowering springs, I recommended he leave the Koni's but he opted for Bilstein, which on that car suck. The thing rode better, but was all over the place.

It's simple, if you want the very best ride, then lowering springs aren't the thing you want unless you are willing to compromise some for a lowered look, etc. and yes springs do ride differently than others. Like these cars, if you want the best control, you get the best shocks.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: camaro lowering springs