Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

camaro lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 01:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camaro lowering springs

Hey guys im looking to change the springs on my '01 camaro z28, but don't know what spring setup to go with and was hoping I could get some advice. I was looking at the hotchkis 1" or the slp 1.25", but was wondering what you guys are using and have liked. Im looking for the smoothest ride, but understand its a f-body and it will never be smooth! Also, im considering getting longtubes this spring so let me know about clearance issues I might run into as well. Thanks
Old 02-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Launching!

I have BMR springs and I like them. Dropped it about 1.5".
Old 02-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Are you using the stock shocks?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Teching In

I have Stranos with Konis and love the ride. I think they drop it 1.25 in. I also have Pacesetters long tubes with no clearance issues. I have a TSP Y pipe with cats and I do have problems with it scraping one of the cats but its not terrible. A custom y will fix my issues or a better designed one.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Alright, do you have to change the shocks or do you recommend it?
Old 02-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Teching In

post pictures please! I'm tired of my SS looking like a monster truck so give me some ideas! =)
Old 02-19-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

not a camaro lol but this is a 1.5"drop the eibach springs with stock shocks and 17"wheels. I also have pacesetter lt's and ory and scrape on speedbumps even going sideways i believe its the headers that are scraping. i just got the car so when its on the road im taking it to my buddys garage to check it out but heres a pic.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nottinghamer
Strano springs and the best shocks you can afford! If you call Sam Strano he can give you the lo-down.

ramey
Old 02-19-2012, 06:32 PM
BS
Launching!

Originally Posted by nottinghamer
If you're still on the OEM Delphi/DeCarbon shocks go ahead and get you some Bilsteins or Konis. The factory shocks are crap already and if you lower the car they're going to be even worse. It beter to change the front shocks once rather than twice.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:03 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You can use the factory shock with our springs but we always recommend that people get a good quality aftermarket shock. There are a few different options depending on what you are doing with the car, we carry Tokico, Bilstein, and Koni. Our springs are 1.25" drop and give the cars a nice stance with sacrificing too much ride quality. Here is a picture of a 2002 WS6 with our BMR lowering springs and Koni shocks and a Camaro SS with our lowering springs. Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Kyle
Attached Thumbnails camaro lowering springs-ws6_sp001.jpg   camaro lowering springs-ws6_sp001_2.jpg   camaro lowering springs-camaross_sp001.jpg   camaro lowering springs-camaross_sp001_2.jpg  

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 02-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Alright, thank you everyone.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have BMR springs, but i would get the stranos. After my install i wasn't happy with the stance as the rear only dropped about 5/8 in. instead of 1.25. Had to take the isolaters out of the rear to get the stance even close. Customer service was shitty at best, didn't really want to help me out and tried to blame it on everything but their springs. The ride however did improve over my stock springs so i'm happy about that
Old 02-24-2012, 11:59 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by StangTamer
I have BMR springs, but i would get the stranos. After my install i wasn't happy with the stance as the rear only dropped about 5/8 in. instead of 1.25. Had to take the isolaters out of the rear to get the stance even close. Customer service was shitty at best, didn't really want to help me out and tried to blame it on everything but their springs. The ride however did improve over my stock springs so i'm happy about that
Who did you contact? What was the issue you were having with your car?
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-24-2012, 01:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I just got a shipment of springs in stock, I have plenty of Bilstein's here too... which is the minimum recommendation for shocks as far as I'm concerned. I have Tokico too, and KYB, and Monroe (which one misguided gent thinks are great), right up to Koni and KW coil-overs as well.

In short, I've got the most choice on shocks. I've been making my springs for some 6 years now and if you ask most anyone who has them, they love them.

The springs are $249. My HP2 kit which has Bilstien's with the springs is $620.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-24-2012, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I just got a shipment of springs in stock, I have plenty of Bilstein's here too... which is the minimum recommendation for shocks as far as I'm concerned. I have Tokico too, and KYB, and Monroe (which one misguided gent thinks are great), right up to Koni and KW coil-overs as well.

In short, I've got the most choice on shocks. I've been making my springs for some 6 years now and if you ask most anyone who has them, they love them.

The springs are $249. My HP2 kit which has Bilstien's with the springs is $620.
I cant decide on shocks myself, keep going back and forth between the billsetins, KYB and tokico. Everyone has a different opinion. My shocks are stock with 62kmiles on them with lowering springs and are toast. What would you recommend?
Old 02-24-2012, 03:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by mikh338
I cant decide on shocks myself, keep going back and forth between the billsetins, KYB and tokico. Everyone has a different opinion. My shocks are stock with 62kmiles on them with lowering springs and are toast. What would you recommend?

I sell all 3, and all 3 are about the same price. I will recommend Bilstein's over the other two.... they are much, MUCH better built. Tokico and Bilstein have similar levels of control, but the Bilstein's will last longer. AGX's (the KYB's I suspect you are talking about) are the most poorly built of the 3 and frankly the adjustment isn't like that of a Koni... it's not as useful. The soft settings are too soft, the stiff ones are pretty bone rattling.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-24-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I sell all 3, and all 3 are about the same price. I will recommend Bilstein's over the other two.... they are much, MUCH better built. Tokico and Bilstein have similar levels of control, but the Bilstein's will last longer. AGX's (the KYB's I suspect you are talking about) are the most poorly built of the 3 and frankly the adjustment isn't like that of a Koni... it's not as useful. The soft settings are too soft, the stiff ones are pretty bone rattling.
this is what most people say exactly. and yes the AGX's is what i was thinking but like you said everyone that has had them says the adjustment is not worth it. I guess I will just get the Billstein's. Would you PM me a price for them front and rear shipped to 12205 for a 01 ws6. Thanks!!
Old 02-24-2012, 03:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Will do.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Sam the BMR stuff says that a lower control arm relocation bracket and adjustable panhard bar is a good to have on the rear. What do you recommend?
Old 02-27-2012, 09:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

They are not required parts. The Adjustable PHB is recommended because the body will shift a bit from the lowering. The LCA brackets are absolutely not required, and I more often that not don't recommend them as a standard course of action.

Quick Reply: camaro lowering springs