Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Building a street/road coarse car..... NEED INPUT!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a street/road coarse car..... NEED INPUT!!

sup guys i got a 98 trans am ls2 swap. im building this car to take to the mountains/road course and have some fun and need some input on mods to do. i already have 6-point subframe connectors, spohn adjustable torque arm, monster stage 2 clutch, driveshaft loop and willwood brakes. Now im looking at sway bars shocks and springs. theres so much to choose from but most are for drag and i dont want that. Anyone know what brand and models to go with for excellent cornering? id prefer not to lower the car that much. My G-load brace is only like 4in off the ground lol.

Any input is great thanks!!!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Call Sam Strano, he is a nice guy and a wealth of knowledge he has helped me out a lot.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

call bmr or sam strono
Old 09-21-2012, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Don't settle for less than Koni shocks and Strano Springs, buy them from Sam and he will give you the insider info on the best settings for them. UMI Sway Bars and Sam's Sway Bars are both great, Sam's are lighter because they are hollow, performance is the same.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strano, Koni, UMI for the win!
Old 09-21-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Consider a 3 link similar to the mustang 3-links available. They'll keep the wheel hop down under hard braking and keep it smooth through the turns. It'll require some fab work.

Stiffer sways can also be overrated. They can make a car too loose.

Run the car first after some light mods, then upgrade where you think it's lacking.

Last edited by BudRacing; 09-21-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Banned

Strano Swaybars (35,22)
Blaine Fabrication Swaybar bracket
UMI heavy duty swaybar mounts
Strano springs,
Koni 4,3 or 4,4 shocks
UMI/BMR panhard bar
UMI/BMR LCA and relocation brackets
Old 09-22-2012, 01:08 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys! im looking into those strano sway bars as we speak. and as soon as i got the money springs and shocks! ive taken it to the mountains recently and surprisingly enough my friends built WRX couldn't even come close to keeping up with me. my downfall then was brakes, almost wrecked because of brake fade..... but thats fixed now hahaha.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Consider a 3 link similar to the mustang 3-links available. They'll keep the wheel hop down under hard braking and keep it smooth through the turns. It'll require some fab work.
These cars come with a 3 link setup from the factory...

Stiffer sways can also be overrated. They can make a car too loose.
Unbalanced swaybars, yes. Generally something larger than 22mm in the rear will make these cars too tail happy.
35mm front / 22mm rear is a proven balanced setup and used to win multiple national SCCA championships.

OP, shocks will make the biggest noticeable difference by far, Koni SA's will be a game changer. Strano springs/Strano sways, and a fays 2 watts link if you want more out of the setup. Don't forget tires.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:23 AM
Teching In

wow that Fays2 watts link looks awesome i didnt even know that was available. i WILL be getting that soon. i hope i can get a dual exhaust made for it tho.. the 6.0 wont like fake duals lol. Another thing i was contimplating was help cool the brakes by utilizing the cars ducking and vents that are already there (under the parking lights and vents in front of the doors) by drilling holes in my wheel wells. Good idea or bad? its just a thought right now.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Tires shocks, springs and sway bars. Love how the car handles (night and day difference) and should have come from the factory this way. I have followed Sam's advice (as well as JD's) and the car kills in the turns.

As far as bakes cooling, it you are not using your air pump, there is a thread here to convert it to a brake cooling device and you can wire it up to a switch. I plan on doing that when I get a chance.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Teching In

I hear ya man. im so excited to keep going with this build. as far as the A.I.R pump i removed it to shed weight as well as relocated my battery to where the spare tire was. so both of those areas are empty. perfect to make cooling ducts.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:04 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey there, we have a pretty popular setup that works quite well using our lifetime warranty springs, sway bars, and assorted other parts. If you would like, I can spec out a custom package for you around your goals that will save some cash and change your car night and day. We set up the STiKiller with our parts and Justin has been having a blast with the balance setup for him. Some of his parts are too racy for everyone's taste on the street, but we can determine that and figure out what will work best for you.

Basically, bars, shocks, springs, an panhard is a good start.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 09-25-2012, 12:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

You will get a lot of advice. It's the internet. I'd ask you to consider the background of the folks you are looking to for advice and the companies you by from.

I bought a Z28 in 2000. I had a '91 before that, and an '82, and raced others (like a '99 WS6 1LE Formula). I have won multiple National Championships in various F-bodies since 2002, nobody else here can say that. I've personally developed parts and setups for the car. And all the while I've done it while maintaining good driveability here on nice and twisty Western PA roads, but also where winter takes it's toll, frost heaves, etc.

You can see video of my running a track day in my (now former) Z28 and see how it works. There are also video's up from the current owner autocrossing it, so you can see how it works. And remember this is a fully functional driver. In fact before I sold it to Dave I was daily driving it.... And way back in 2007 I worked with GM High Tech Performance Magazine on a car that was very much the same idea.

My suspension lopped of a lot of time @ 3.4 sec/lap, and is so capable that when he upgraded the tires another 3.5 seconds disappeared which makes sense since I ran even stickier tires on my car in competition autocross or track days. Anyway, you can read part II of the article at the link below but I highlighted some details.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...o/viewall.html (sorry I have find part 1). Anyway, some of the highlights:

"I am, quite simply, blown away by the Z28's new suspension. If I could distill everything I feel in one sentence, it would go like this: Everything dull and soft is now sharp and firm. Strano has balanced his spring rates and bar sizes to provide sick handling on the track, and verylivable manners on the road. The single-adjustable Konis are so spectacular I don't know where to start. Though Strano's shock settings, the larger 17-inch rims, and thinner sidewall made my NYC commute a touch rough with the terrible roads, this combo was perfect during a road trip on Pennsylvania's interstates."

And

"Last time around I equipped 1SC-YA, my hardtop stripper LS1 Z28, with a host of intelligent handling and braking mods ("Street Car, Track Car: Part I," Nov. '07). They were chosen to make a huge difference in the way the Camaro performed on a road course, but to also keep the ride comfortable for daily driving. Track testing took place on Raceway Park's new 1.35-mile road course, and against a baseline time of 1:33.4, I was able to turn several 1:30.0 laps, for a solid 3.4-second gain."

"Regarding the street tire test from the last issue, 3.4 seconds is a huge improvement on any road course, especially a shorter, technical track like Raceway Park's...... With the NT01s on, everything came together. These tires gave me the confidence to really work the corners hard, and to carry way more speed into fast turns than I ever could with street tires. They were stable and predictable; I was able to find the sweet spot, and correct when I lost grip, much easier with the NT01s than with the 555s. Taking hot laps on sticky tires is an intense experience, and my neck was killing me for the next several days!....But when you're 100-plus mph on a road course, with a hard left-hand turn and a concrete wall coming up, you'd better pray like hell that you've chosen the right parts for the job. I believe I have, and I have a 6.9-second road course improvement to show for it."

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Wow thanks for the input!

Sam im definitely sold on your parts! As i get the money i will definitely be buying most from you.

Quick Reply: Building a street/road coarse car..... NEED INPUT!!