Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Recommended Springs & Shocks for 00 WS6

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended Springs & Shocks for 00 WS6

I am sure I am stirring up the bee hive here but can anyone give recommendations for a shock & spring setup for a 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS-6?

I don't daily drive the car but it probably wont see much track time either. I cruise the strip a lot and want something that inspires confidence in corners yet isnt too harsh. The work I do to the vehicle is mainly for a track look and feel.

I've heard good things about the Hotchkis 1905 Springs (1" lower [I will not consider anything with a larger drop than that]) and Koni double adjustable shocks. The Hotchkis springs list for $350 and the Koni double adjustable shocks for $1780 but I found both brand new on ebay for $269 and $800.

Not looking to spend much over $1000 for whatever setup I go with. Can anyone tell me if this is a good combo or recommend something else?

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2012, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Yeah its a great combo. Almost any springs used with Koni shocks will make a good combo. I have Hotchkis springs and love them... great stance and ride.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport01
^ Yeah its a great combo. Almost any springs used with Koni shocks will make a good combo. I have Hotchkis springs and love them... great stance and ride.
Thanks SS. Would you recommend the double adjustable or would the single adjustable be good enough ($410 instead of $800)?
Old 12-29-2012, 01:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

koni das will be your best choice , strano springs or bmr springs will be your best bet .
Old 12-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Koni SA's would be more than enough for your requirements. Sam Strano won track championships with them on his Camaro, and usually doesn't recommend the DA's.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Koni DAs don't ride any softer then the SAs do, I'd try the Koni SAs first with the stock front lower spring seats on the lower perch and the Hose mod with the rear springs. that should give about 3/4" front, an about 1/2" rear drop. If you still want it lower after that then go ahead an get the Hotchkis springs.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 12-29-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
The Koni DAs don't ride any softer then the SAs do, I'd try the Koni SAs first with the stock front lower spring seats on the lower perch and the Hose mod with the rear springs. that should give about 3/4" front, an about 1/2" rear drop. If you still want it lower after that then go ahead an get the Hotchkis springs.
That's the setup I have on my A4 car. You can go to My Garage and look at pics to get an idea.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

You know I can put you on a set of Koni's and Strano Springs for $1248.99, or less than what you are looking at there.

Not only would I NOT recommend DA's for you, I'll tell you some reasons why: If they are new for $800 they've been sitting around for a LONG time, or someone made a serious pricing error. They are more fragile as the compression adjuster takes up room at the bottom and are more likely to be internally bottomed out and broken. Compression adjustment is not spring rate, it has a job but most have no idea what is is... and if you are one, then don't waste your money. And finally (though there is more just only so much I have time to write here), the compression adjusts high speed not low which means if you don't need the compression damping for it's proper use, adding more only makes the car ride harsher.

I've owned both, I raced on both... I stayed on SA's having run both.

As for the springs.... Mine weigh less, the fronts give more help with roll and pitch control being a bit stiffer. The ride is just as good or better (according to customers who've switched from Hotchkis), and if only for this reason, mine are much easier to install since the spring compressors don't get stuck in the coils like they do on Hotchkis.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-06-2021, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 00 WS6 convertible suspension question

Hello,

Sam, I am in need of help. I have a 2000 TA WS6 convertible. I have B6 Bilsteins for shocks, and stock springs, but the springs are older. I am looking to keep the rear from scraping when I have another person in the car,, along with luggage. The issue is that I also have a sub box in trunk qith amp, and it weighs probably 100 lbs or so.. I want to keep that in the vehicle. What coul springs would you recommend for fun spirited driving, street only, but will keep the rear from scraping? I appreciate any feedback or suggestions. I am new to owning this vehicle, it only has 53k miles and is stock. Thank you for your help.
Chris

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You know I can put you on a set of Koni's and Strano Springs for $1248.99, or less than what you are looking at there.

Not only would I NOT recommend DA's for you, I'll tell you some reasons why: If they are new for $800 they've been sitting around for a LONG time, or someone made a serious pricing error. They are more fragile as the compression adjuster takes up room at the bottom and are more likely to be internally bottomed out and broken. Compression adjustment is not spring rate, it has a job but most have no idea what is is... and if you are one, then don't waste your money. And finally (though there is more just only so much I have time to write here), the compression adjusts high speed not low which means if you don't need the compression damping for it's proper use, adding more only makes the car ride harsher.

I've owned both, I raced on both... I stayed on SA's having run both.

As for the springs.... Mine weigh less, the fronts give more help with roll and pitch control being a bit stiffer. The ride is just as good or better (according to customers who've switched from Hotchkis), and if only for this reason, mine are much easier to install since the spring compressors don't get stuck in the coils like they do on Hotchkis.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:27 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Sterli00
Hello,

Sam, I am in need of help. I have a 2000 TA WS6 convertible. I have B6 Bilsteins for shocks, and stock springs, but the springs are older. I am looking to keep the rear from scraping when I have another person in the car,, along with luggage. The issue is that I also have a sub box in trunk qith amp, and it weighs probably 100 lbs or so.. I want to keep that in the vehicle. What coul springs would you recommend for fun spirited driving, street only, but will keep the rear from scraping? I appreciate any feedback or suggestions. I am new to owning this vehicle, it only has 53k miles and is stock. Thank you for your help.
Chris

So people seem to forget that there is a total amount of weight that the car should carry which is about 500 lb. What does the sub box, 2 passengers, and luggage amount to? And are your bump stops in good shape? People tend to not think about those things and there isn't a magic spring that is just going to do that and not have the ride height look ridiculous otherwise. There are things we can do. I don't even know if you want to lower it or not it sounds like that's probably not high on your list and a great idea. But your tires shouldn't rub anything as it looks like you're on stock wheels and tires and if the bump stops are in place even at max compression nothing should touch.

Nonetheless you could probably use some more load support and generally the best thing to do There would be roughly a $100 set of air Springs that go inside of the main spring to add support when you need it but not there all the time when you don't because you can drop pressure.

I carry those that's not a problem we use them all the time.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Recommended Springs & Shocks for 00 WS6