Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano/Koni hollow sways fbody vs C5

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strano/Koni hollow sways fbody vs C5

Looking to get some opinions before I dump $ or ditch the car.

2002 WS6 that I own currently. Was stuck on c5's FOREVER in between platforms but this feel into my lap and I always wanted one.

Obviously a stock ws6 drives like a bloated weight transfering turd. Tons of body roll and yaw factor blah blah.

To further my dismay I've owned a full Max Grip (Maximum Motorsports) Cobra and currently own a Miata (stock), which have and currently spoil me for having a very direct connection to my car.

I am interested in doing the Strano/koni setup with hollow sways and frame ties. I want that confidence inspiring feeling again, albeit it's never coming close to the go-kart aspect of the miata.

I've driven a handful of c5's including a z06. Depending on the tire (runflats suck), they drive so totally removed from an fbody. Z06 being the obvious screamer that begs to get tossed into a turn at 90.

While I know that feeling of lightness may not be achieved; I know from my Cobra I can get a car to be damn near glued to the road just as well.

Has anyone owned a full dressed f-car and then moved on to a c5? Experience?

I am not interested in how bad your sportlines and garbage shocks sucked. I want to get an opinion on a proper setup.

I've driven my brothers' SS on stranos,but it's on AGX's, with no front swaybar, and stock rear sway...not exactly selling me on anything.

So, who's had both etc? Car might see open track only a handful of times, but I like my street cars to be fun.

Or is it flip for a c5 time?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by RSbeast
Looking to get some opinions before I dump $ or ditch the car.

2002 WS6 that I own currently. Was stuck on c5's FOREVER in between platforms but this feel into my lap and I always wanted one.

Obviously a stock ws6 drives like a bloated weight transfering turd. Tons of body roll and yaw factor blah blah.

To further my dismay I've owned a full Max Grip (Maximum Motorsports) Cobra and currently own a Miata (stock), which have and currently spoil me for having a very direct connection to my car.

I am interested in doing the Strano/koni setup with hollow sways and frame ties. I want that confidence inspiring feeling again, albeit it's never coming close to the go-kart aspect of the miata.

I've driven a handful of c5's including a z06. Depending on the tire (runflats suck), they drive so totally removed from an fbody. Z06 being the obvious screamer that begs to get tossed into a turn at 90.

While I know that feeling of lightness may not be achieved; I know from my Cobra I can get a car to be damn near glued to the road just as well.

Has anyone owned a full dressed f-car and then moved on to a c5? Experience?

I am not interested in how bad your sportlines and garbage shocks sucked. I want to get an opinion on a proper setup.

I've driven my brothers' SS on stranos,but it's on AGX's, with no front swaybar, and stock rear sway...not exactly selling me on anything.

So, who's had both etc? Car might see open track only a handful of times, but I like my street cars to be fun.

Or is it flip for a c5 time?
I work on a lot of C5's and C6's, I own a C6 Grand Sport (and a Z06 before that). My Camaro with the suspension work done can run basically heads up with a stock class prepped C5 Z06 or C6 GS/Z06. That means both have Hoosiers, alignments, Koni's etc. So, does that tell you how capable the car can be?

I get your brother's car is on my springs and isn't selling you on anything. But look at ISN'T there. No front bar, which is a HUGE amount of roll stiffness, and far from the world's best shocks which can never make up for a lack of front bar... and neither can the springs. The spring are meant to work with a front bar, not without one. I wish I still owned my car, anyone who rode in pretty much was convinced. But it's in Texas now so I can't exactly give you a ride in it.

And in comparison to a SN95, this is better chassis that takes far less work to improve. See I do Mustang work too, owned a few S197's even, but have setup many Fox and SN95 cars, so I know the comparison well.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-02-2013, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Sorry I should've used a smiley or something to insinuate a touch of sarcasm towards my brothers setup. I'm very very familiar to the fact springs alone aren't going to change the world. I meant it to be a **** poor example of trying out a setup.

I don't update my sig on here much but I've just sold my blown s197 as it was too boxy for my taste with a hardtop. Fantastic chassis to build from however. Just enjoy more of a sportscar feel. The sn95s are definitely lacking chassis wise. Mine had full frame ties, chassis matrix, 4 point with cross bars, front and rear ties. All the goodies with a 3 link etc. driving like a mustang it did not haha. Even for a vert. Still there was cowl shake etc.

That's fairly wild they can run with a z on a course. The vette actually has a slightly slower rack with a 3" longer wheelbase so perhaps that nods the f car on a short course. Odd since they are so nose heavy in comparison.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I get it... Thanks for clarifying though!

There are video's on my website of me driving the Camaro, Various C5 and C6's, and a couple different prep level S197's. You can watch those, know that in most every video I'm driving, and judge for yourself!. And all track or autox vids except the ones of the FR-S are on R-compound tires too on all cars so that's not a difference in performance (and show's you that the suspension setup is capable of dealing with that level of grip too).
Old 01-02-2013, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Watched some vids.

A: Made me want to drive my miata

B: Most importantly it looks like it really takes the nose dive out of the fbodies. Car's look suprisingly level and composed on turn in. Nice to see them in action.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

I have no problem staying with or out running vettes with my current set up. With that being said a vette is a better platform to start from.

Hahaha....but it is fun after a good run to see the look on a vette owners face
Old 01-03-2013, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

You clearly have experience driving - with that said, the best platform is probably your best bet.

If you were a guy who couldn't drive, I don't think you would see much difference between different cars/platforms.

Considering you already own the car, though, factor that into the budget vs. getting a different one.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Well I'm into this ws6 very right, so flipping it towards a vette wouldn't be awful. I guess basically I can get this car h/c/e with a nice suspension done @ $15k and have a clean 65k car. It's likely going to run me around the same for a stock c5. While I hands down feel the vette is the better choice; I feel its more a replacement for my Miata as well and I really just like it too much. Could flip daily #2 towards the vette (bolt on srt4) but its sure cooler than driving an aveo lol. I guess I'm trying to weigh options without being greedy to need to get the vette. Tho maybe I'm being greedy hanging on to the rest when a platform change can satisfy the needs of many. Blah.

Wish it wasn't winter; I could go drive some stuff and make a better choice.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by RSbeast
Watched some vids.

A: Made me want to drive my miata

B: Most importantly it looks like it really takes the nose dive out of the fbodies. Car's look suprisingly level and composed on turn in. Nice to see them in action.
A: I actually can help with some Miata stuff too.

B: This is why I have tried to get some videos up for folks to see. I can tell you "it's great" all day long, but there is substitute for seeing things in action... other than riding them, which isn't really likely in this particular case.

Adding a C: Remember I'm the 'turning' guy around here, I'm not a drag racer, I'm into making cars handle. I happen to like pony-cars and in general RWD cars... (I've had others like an FR-S, a BMW 325is, the Corvettes, a couple Mustangs).
Old 01-03-2013, 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

From reading your posts, you sound like someone who will get into driving events in the near future. Either autox or track days.

If you are like me, I'm picky about spending money on my car unless I know for sure it will benefit me in racing in some way. If you eventually put the car on the autox course or race track, then you may eventually become more interested in making the car setup well for a particular car classification. Aka putting the right mods on the car to keep it a specific class legal. If you think this might be the road you take by any chance, then I'd say just bring the car to the events as they are. Feel what the car is like. Then add modifications after you get some driving time so you can feel the difference.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

I plan on that with my Miata actually. Was going to run the FM springs/tokicos, with frame ties, harddog bar and some 15" wheels. I believe that puts me in whatever is one up from factory. However I'm more into the fun vs being competitive within the class. Plus I'm 15 min from Nelson Ledges and 40 from beaver run
Old 01-03-2013, 04:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Did you happen to notice the vids of both the Camaro and the FR-S @ BeaveRun (now PittRace)?
Old 01-03-2013, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Sure did!

Quick Reply: Strano/Koni hollow sways fbody vs C5