Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI Performance Suspension Over Haul - 1999 SS - Lots of pics!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Improved racing makes a cooler kit using top quality BMRS lines and a mocal cooler. I can't comment on that product because I have a Ron Davis radiator with an integrated oil cooler.

I vote for anything but konis. There needs to be an option for more serious guys, like Penske/JRI/Ridetch. There are wayyyyyy better choices out there than Koni, unless you are talking about their racing products, and not the stock replacement style parts.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Well I suggested the Strano/Koni (or something similar) setup because as an advertisement car, it will appeal to the majority of guys autocrossing/RRing a Fbody. And there are not a lot of "serious" fbody racing guys on here that will pony up the money for Penske/JRI. Yes there are a few that I see are on FRRAX. I would see those guys (like yourself) a little more serious than the average joe (like myself getting into racing).

I guess it depends on the goals of the car from a UMI business case as well as the car's personal owner to figure it out.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
Improved racing makes a cooler kit using top quality BMRS lines and a mocal cooler. I can't comment on that product because I have a Ron Davis radiator with an integrated oil cooler.

I vote for anything but konis. There needs to be an option for more serious guys, like Penske/JRI/Ridetch. There are wayyyyyy better choices out there than Koni, unless you are talking about their racing products, and not the stock replacement style parts.
hmmm I'd love to see a serious car with a Ridetech setup!
Old 06-09-2015, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blackandgold
Exactly, there needs to be more options. The Koni/strano setup doesn't work for everyone. Also, if you compared buying a set of konis, and all the associated hardware to turn them into coil-overs, you are potentially getting into the territory of a much better quality shock.

Just to give an example of why there needs to be more options. My car is Koni DA with 650/275 springs. A friends car has Penske shocks with 1000/450 springs. Even with springs that stiff, his car is more compliant over bumps, and because of that ultimately handles better because of the proper dampers.

If UMI were to properly implement something like a 30series shock from Koni, there would be great benefits for those whom push the cars a little harder.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't want to stir the pot (ok, maybe I do). Our current shock offerings are not always going to be our only shock offerings. Something special may be in the works. We are doing a lot of auto-x and road racing and learning a ton...
Old 06-09-2015, 12:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There are a few guys out there with the setup. We just need to get more on the track to show what they're really capable of. The 4th gens that are running our coilover setup can really stick to the track and put down some good times!

Exactly, there needs to be more options. The Koni/strano setup doesn't work for everyone. Also, if you compared buying a set of konis, and all the associated hardware to turn them into coil-overs, you are potentially getting into the territory of a much better quality shock.
+1, there are different setups for different situations. Different spring rates, valve codes, multiple adjustments, etc. will make a world of difference for different driving styles. Suspension can get very expensive, even if you're trying to go a little cheaper of a route, and working your way up. It's one thing that you only want to do once, no doubt .
Old 06-09-2015, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by UMI Tech
I don't want to stir the pot (ok, maybe I do). Our current shock offerings are not always going to be our only shock offerings. Something special may be in the works. We are doing a lot of auto-x and road racing and learning a ton...
If you need another test subject, let me know as I am looking to move away from Koni, and my car is only used for HPDE and autocross.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm up for a guinea pig for ridetech shocks. My options - koni+strano+all new mounts = $725. For the front anyways. Ridetech single adjustable - $800 and cones with a custom spring rate spring and gets rid of buying new mounts. Hmmmmmm my scenario is interesting and I plan on doing my front shocks in a couple months...
Old 06-09-2015, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RidetechJosh
There are a few guys out there with the setup. We just need to get more on the track to show what they're really capable of. The 4th gens that are running our coilover setup can really stick to the track and put down some good times!

+1, there are different setups for different situations. Different spring rates, valve codes, multiple adjustments, etc. will make a world of difference for different driving styles. Suspension can get very expensive, even if you're trying to go a little cheaper of a route, and working your way up. It's one thing that you only want to do once, no doubt .
Jeez, ok fine, I'll let you put a set of ridetech coilovers on my car for free. But only because you twisted my arm.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:07 PM
FormerVendor

Jeez, ok fine, I'll let you put a set of ridetech coilovers on my car for free. But only because you twisted my arm.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 349 Likes on 262 Posts

i'll be switching to Ridetechs setup later this month
Old 06-10-2015, 05:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by smitty2919
And there are not a lot of "serious" fbody racing guys on here that will pony up the money for Penske/JRI.
There are not even too many on frrax.com with those, unless they are running an AI/AIX class car, which tend to run up to and above $100K to build properly, so the Penskes/JRIs/Motons/etc. don't seem too out of this world price wise to them.

But my guess is that most of the f bodies on this site (and anywhere for that matter) are only worth (Blue Book) TOTAL about half of the cost of one of those (above mentioned) set ups at best, even the low mileage ones in PERFECT condition.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay I have some engine updates. We are pushing to have this car running by the end of this week.

We got with Beau at Texas Speed to source a 383 stroker kit. We ended up with a forged TSP crank, Compstar rods and Wiseco pistons. Conklin Racing Engines is clearancing the block for the stroker kit and test fitting all the components. We'll finish assembly here at UMI and install the AFR215's and Comp XER281HR cam. For improved oil control we'll be using a TSP ported high pressure pump and Improved Racing's road race pan baffle.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:55 AM
FormerVendor

Engine is coming together nicely. Last night we checked valve clearance and working on push rod length this morning.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Out of curiosity, what do you see for coolant temps when autocrossing on a 80*+ day?
Old 06-17-2015, 12:42 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Out of curiosity, what do you see for coolant temps when autocrossing on a 80*+ day?
This car ran 190-200 all the time, autocross and big courses in crazy heat. We run a 160 thermostat.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Great. Thank You, I was seeing 220+ in my 95 LT1...come to find out the whole radiator was plugged up with god knows what.

Aluminum radiator and EWP on their way. Looking forward to beating on it and not worry about water temps.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:00 PM
12 Second Club

My car is Koni DA with 650/275 springs. A friends car has Penske shocks with 1000/450 springs. Even with springs that stiff, his car is more compliant over bumps, and because of that ultimately handles better because of the proper dampers.

When I spoke to Lee Grimes (at Koni), AND a tech at TrueChoice (Koni race and street shock rebuilders/revalvers), they claimed that the front double adjustable yellow sports for the 4th gens are only good for a MAX of about a 650# spring, and they said that was maybe marginal depending on the rest of the set up/weight/etc.

They also said it was more the sport's rebound max setting that could not handle the higher spring rates than the compression max setting.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:17 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Engine is coming together nicely. Last night we checked valve clearance and working on push rod length this morning.

Looking good, Ramey!
Old 06-18-2015, 08:19 AM
FormerVendor

Engine is coming together nicely, we hope to fire it later today or tomorrow. The Improved Racing baffle that 79 T/A recommended is in and looks good... this will help a lot with oil starvation. A cooler will be in the near future before we hit any more big tracks. We will also be running Brad Penn 20w50 to prevent the oil from breaking down as it gets hot. This may sacrifice a few horsepower but will be worth it.

Quick Reply: UMI Performance Suspension Over Haul - 1999 SS - Lots of pics!