Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI Performance Suspension Over Haul - 1999 SS - Lots of pics!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm running the Forza during the summer and DD in it. If I had dual Forza's it would make getting bigger objects in the back seat a little harder, BUT you can also pop the hatch and put stuff in.

I went more function over comfort. Also went with the dual locking slider.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed. Like the build.

I'd be interested in seeing what you guys think of the height of the seats with those brackets after they are installed.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:23 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

We will keep everyone posted. We plan to install them in the next few weeks along with a Wolf cage. Pictures will be included as well.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty2919
I'm running the Forza during the summer and DD in it. If I had dual Forza's it would make getting bigger objects in the back seat a little harder, BUT you can also pop the hatch and put stuff in.

I went more function over comfort. Also went with the dual locking slider.
when the seat is all the way forward, is there enough room for a person to squeez through to the back seat? that is my main concern with the fixed back seat and whether i get two forzas or keep my stock pass seat. was definitly going with the dual locking sliders
Old 01-22-2015, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
We will keep everyone posted. We plan to install them in the next few weeks along with a Wolf cage. Pictures will be included as well.
If you are going to further develop this car into a road course/autocross machine, do yourself a huge favor and skip right over that cage. It won't be legal for a damn thing. Call up Alan Blaine @blainefab he can set you up with a beautiful bar for an f-body.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hokeplaya05
when the seat is all the way forward, is there enough room for a person to squeez through to the back seat? that is my main concern with the fixed back seat and whether i get two forzas or keep my stock pass seat. was definitly going with the dual locking sliders
Is there enough room to fit a normal size person through? Yes. Would I make my 60yr old parents squeeze through? No.

For the money I don't think you can beat them. they have a Forza Sport as well that is FIA certified I believe. I only do local stuff and no RR so I don't need anything certified. My harness is out of date, my harness bar is illegal...yeaaa.

I left the stock passenger seat because I don't want to put people through having to lower/raise themselves in and out of the seat. It has high side bolsters that will wear out if you ride you *** down the side to plop in. I ran mine for a season and you can barely tell that it is used. Start with a single Forza then see how you like it. IMO a seat and harness is THE best thing you can do to a car built to handle. Next would be shocks and springs.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

alright, thanks. i will go with the single forza for now and may get a second one later on if i feel the need.

sorry for derailing the thread a bit
Old 01-23-2015, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
If you are going to further develop this car into a road course/autocross machine, do yourself a huge favor and skip right over that cage. It won't be legal for a damn thing. Call up Alan Blaine @blainefab he can set you up with a beautiful bar for an f-body.
I fully agree the Wolfe cages are worthless in RR. Also you should have gotten fixed back seats as well. 100% give Alan a call http://blainefab.com/.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:29 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by camarokid91
I fully agree the Wolfe cages are worthless in RR. Also you should have gotten fixed back seats as well. 100% give Alan a call http://blainefab.com/.
I agree on the seats. However I made the decision based on the amount of drivers we have on this car. 4-5 different people drive it and all shapes and sizes. Also wanted to maintain street-ability since the car does see a lot of street miles and cruises. I just felt this was best for us now. We have also been using the LG1's in our G-Body RR car and so far so good. We will keep everyone updated on how they work for us.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Alan makes a weld in 6 point that will ship to your door. Its not a matter of product its a matter of safety. I can 100% tell you the wolfe will not pass SCCA/NASA compliancey.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Any updates?
Old 03-04-2015, 08:30 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Ar52Kortlang
Any updates?
Not a lot yet, too many projects at once right now. I will update as soon as we do though!
Old 03-18-2015, 07:56 AM
FormerVendor

Getting back on our 4th gen and getting it ready for the autocross at the Super Summit Show held at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Towards the end of the season last year we battled with a loss of power in this car and the occasional backfire. So we called in our good friend Scott to look at the tune and smoke test it. We made a few small changes to the tune but we also found two intake leaks and one injector was missing a gasket. We are fixing this today.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:32 AM
FormerVendor

Seats and cage are almost complete. We still need to finish the back of the cage in the hatch area. The LG1 seats are very comfortable however they do sit high. Eventually we will swap them out for a fixed back lower profile seat.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:08 PM
FormerVendor

Finishing up the rear of the cage. The cage we had in stock had the rear tubes that ran into the speakers. We decided to change it over and run in the center of the hatch. We had to remove the exhaust, panhard bar and fuel tank to get the under plates in place.

The missing issue was only a bad plug wire. Sometimes it is a simple fix!

Old 04-21-2015, 04:29 PM
FormerVendor

We ran our first event of the year, the Summit Racing Atlanta Motorama. The auto-x was set up by the American Street Car Series where they launched their new program called Share the Ride. As part of Share the Ride we gave rides in participating cars to whoever would like to try it out. We gave over 50 rides in the rain in our 4th gen and we were able to get the 6th fastest time out of 75 cars. Not too shabby. We had tons of positive comments on the car and a few screams. It was a great event!

Old 06-03-2015, 08:38 AM
FormerVendor

This past weekend our '99 participated in the Midwest Muscle Car Challenge held at Putnam Park Road Course. The car ran mid pack through out the day. Jerry was driving the car and it was first time ever on a road course so he took it easy to get a good feel. I think same course he could cut 1-2 seconds off easily with his next outing.

On the 3rd session the car got hot, locked up and spun out in the grass. We trailered the car home and immediately pulled the motor. We found both #5 and #6 bearings were spun while all other bearings showed a lot of wear. The car was still on the factory bottom end.

The block appears to be 100% okay, it is at our local machine shop for inspection. The plans are a 383 stroker with AFR 215 heads. we have less than 3 weeks to get the car back together for autocross ride alongs at the Carlisle GM Nationals.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Ouch. How many miles are on the motor?
Old 06-05-2015, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Seems like a lot of time and money spent on a 16 year old vehicle.

I have a 2001 Z28 (Sara), and upgraded the suspension 14 years ago (not to the extent of what you did), other than maintenance, I am not spending any more money on her.

For the price of all that crap your installing, you could probably purchase a brand new supercharged corvette.

The vehicle also looks ridiculous with the graphics.

JMHO
Old 06-05-2015, 07:17 PM
12 Second Club

I'm guessing that you already know this, and maybe even have future plans to change it out, but DUMP that factory wheel!!

Get yourselves a proper racing steering wheel (Sparco/OMP/Momo/Personal/etc.) in suede/alcantara and then be shocked at how much more control you have over the car (as well as better turn in, etc.).

IF you are worried about street legality in Pennsyltuckey, know that I have passed for the last 3 years with NO driver's side air bag (Sparco 383 wheel/Momo 2401 hub), and just the dash light black electrical taped over in the cluster.
That cage will bring MUCH more 'attention' from LEOs on the street (and might be illegal for street use in our state, I have NEVER gotten a straight yes or no answer on this yet from ANYBODY), than having an aftermarket steering wheel in the car.

Quick Reply: UMI Performance Suspension Over Haul - 1999 SS - Lots of pics!