Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI Performance Suspension Over Haul - 1999 SS - Lots of pics!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 07:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveC
For the price of all that crap your installing, you could probably purchase a brand new supercharged corvette.
Maybe a 2015 Z28, as decontented as they will allow you to order one, but not a current Z06.

The 'hot ticket' in new cars for open tracking is going to be the new, much lighter, 6th gen Z28 if and when it is ever released.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Ouch. How many miles are on the motor?
The motor had 74k miles on it. Impressive for what it has been through. We ordered a balanced rotating assembly from Texas Speed and also have a set of AFR 215 Mongoose heads in the mail. Conklin Racing Engines will do all the fitment and file the rings, we will do the final assembly at UMI.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:28 AM
Teching In

Seems like a lot of time and money spent on a 16 year old vehicle.

I have a 2001 Z28 (Sara), and upgraded the suspension 14 years ago (not to the extent of what you did), other than maintenance, I am not spending any more money on her.

For the price of all that crap your installing, you could probably purchase a brand new supercharged corvette.

The vehicle also looks ridiculous with the graphics.

JMHO
It looks almost like they're advertising, doesn't it?? Weird that the direct manufacturer of the suspension parts installed all the parts they manufacture onto a car with their logo plastered all over it to take to races and attract business!
Old 06-08-2015, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Seems like a lot of time and money spent on a 16 year old vehicle.

I have a 2001 Z28 (Sara), and upgraded the suspension 14 years ago (not to the extent of what you did), other than maintenance, I am not spending any more money on her.

The vehicle also looks ridiculous with the graphics.

JMHO
Well isn't that the point of Hot Rodding and modding cars as a personal hobby? Add the fact that UMI is a company we are thankful for making products for these "16 yr old" vehicles" so we can enjoy to keep them running and racing them. PLUS they go to events to promote/advertise their product and SHOW that it works.

No one would dump money into a car for mods if they just kept saving and just bought "a supercharged corvette". It's called technology. You will lose you *** on money spent on new cars with depreciation if you just buy the next best thing.

Plus, beating corvette's in a 16 year old car makes me smile knowing I spent a fraction of the money Doing more with less.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Steve,
You are sorely mistaken if you think the amount of money spent on the UMI car is equivalent to a new supercharged vette. That makes you a uninformed idiot IMHO....there really isn't a better bang for the buck out there for road course/autocross fun than a 4th gen f-body. If you haven't figured that out yet, then where have you been, son ? I've owned a new Z06 and my 4th gen is waaay less expensive, with all my mods similar to UMI car. But, what do I know ....just my .02 cents
Old 06-08-2015, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Just another intelligent, insightful, and useful post full of great technical information from Steve c. He is truly an asset to this community. Without him, I would have never known that a supercharged corvette was equal in cost to my 15 year old Camaro.

Thanks Steve! Can't wait to hear the interesting insight you have for us next.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dailydriver
IF you are worried about street legality in Pennsyltuckey, know that I have passed for the last 3 years with NO driver's side air bag (Sparco 383 wheel/Momo 2401 hub), and just the dash light black electrical taped over in the cluster.
That cage will bring MUCH more 'attention' from LEOs on the street (and might be illegal for street use in our state, I have NEVER gotten a straight yes or no answer on this yet from ANYBODY), than having an aftermarket steering wheel in the car.
not having airbags fails state inspection and i dont think there is anything in the book about a roll cage. ill check and if there is ill edit this post with it
Old 06-08-2015, 01:04 PM
FormerVendor

First engine part has arrived, a set of AFR 215 LSX Mongoose heads. This is our 2nd set of AFR heads and we have a 3rd set on the way, awesome heads and awesome people to deal with.

Also here is a great example of why bearing mounted shocks should be used over poly on racing applications. For street the poly is nice, for any type of racing you can see how the t-bar is moved and the poly bushings are bulging. We will be upgrading to our new front coilover kit with bearing mounted upper and lower shocks. Stay tuned, we have some cool new stuff coming.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey guys, make sure to call up Improved racing and get their pan baffle so the new engine lives a happy life. While your at it they have an excellent crank scraper and of course a big oil cooler is a good idea with the abuse this car sees. I'd be willing to bet the engine failure was related to oil starvation.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FirstGen F-Body
not having airbags fails state inspection and i dont think there is anything in the book about a roll cage. ill check and if there is ill edit this post with it
Maybe so, but even when I was in Joyzee, when they actually had nitpicking, draconian, 'big brother' type inspections, I went right through for 13 years without a driver's side air bag, and like I said, for the past 3 years in Pa.

So maybe the private inspections in this state are much more intent on trying to find other, more expensive things wrong inspection wise, which will bring them in much more coin for them hoping the owner will get it fixed there?
Old 06-08-2015, 05:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
First engine part has arrived, a set of AFR 215 LSX Mongoose heads. This is our 2nd set of AFR heads and we have a 3rd set on the way, awesome heads and awesome people to deal with.

Also here is a great example of why bearing mounted shocks should be used over poly on racing applications. For street the poly is nice, for any type of racing you can see how the t-bar is moved and the poly bushings are bulging. We will be upgrading to our new front coilover kit with bearing mounted upper and lower shocks. Stay tuned, we have some cool new stuff coming.

Will you ever go to either Koni yellows (with a coil over kit), or the 'real' road race (but stupidly priced) Penskes or such??

No matter how great a spherical bearing you use for the shock mounts, they WILL eventually knock like the proverbial jackhammers on the street, especially on THIS state's roads, or at least what they call roads here.

I know, as I had the LG Bilstein alloy bodied coil overs with Hyperco springs ALL AROUND for a couple of years, and I must have replaced those bearings every 6 months, and even the new ones rattled and knocked on the just as poor Joyzee roads.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:56 PM

Don't know about Steve but I'm digging the progress. To each their own
Old 06-08-2015, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd like to see a set of KWs on the car, hoping they don't go the viking or qa1 route. Or, Or if they found a way to make a better top mount for Konis that would be dope too.

EDIT: forgot the car already had vikings until I looked closer at the picture.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Amused and extremely impressed by how the car looks and performs with the Vikings for autocross. Nothing bad against them personally, yet true autoXers seem to give those shocks the death ticket when it comes to handling because they aren't a gas charged shock and/or twin tube, not sure which one it is. Apparently Vikings don't work for handling because 'more adjustments does not equal a stiffer and more competent shock.' I have to say though that UMI proved that Vikings can be manipulated very well for them to be able to place in the standings that they placed in with those shocks in the events they used their car in. I honestly with probably many others here would like to see you slide the classic Koni/Strano setup under there and see the time difference back to back to really see, if any, the difference a gas charged shock does vs a drag shock does on a course.

Love the decals and stance by the way, adds the renowned sponsorship to the car that makes it look official and stuffed with badass performance!
Old 06-08-2015, 07:39 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blackandgold
I'd like to see a set of KWs on the car, hoping they don't go the viking or qa1 route. Or, Or if they found a way to make a better top mount for Konis that would be dope too.

EDIT: forgot the car already had vikings until I looked closer at the picture.
You just never know what's gonna happen with shocks.

Also, we go pretty fast on Vikings.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
Amused and extremely impressed by how the car looks and performs with the Vikings for autocross. Nothing bad against them personally, yet true autoXers seem to give those shocks the death ticket when it comes to handling because they aren't a gas charged shock and/or twin tube, not sure which one it is. Apparently Vikings don't work for handling because 'more adjustments does not equal a stiffer and more competent shock.' I have to say though that UMI proved that Vikings can be manipulated very well for them to be able to place in the standings that they placed in with those shocks in the events they used their car in. I honestly with probably many others here would like to see you slide the classic Koni/Strano setup under there and see the time difference back to back to really see, if any, the difference a gas charged shock does vs a drag shock does on a course.

Love the decals and stance by the way, adds the renowned sponsorship to the car that makes it look official and stuffed with badass performance!
Originally Posted by UMI Tech
You just never know what's gonna happen with shocks.

Also, we go pretty fast on Vikings.
I'm not going to say you can't go fast on vikings. I will say that I think you're leaving something on the table, especially with your caliber of drivers and the other mods on the car. Ok back on topic now.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

With the money spent on the motor and the rest of the car, might as well bump up the caliber of shocks. Or like others have said, run a more common autocross combo like the koni/strano.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Yes another vote for Koni/Strano set up....single adjustable Koni that is.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Noticed you switched to the boxed lower arms. A good idea.

Here is another vote for the Koni's.

As for the wheel bearings, I am trying this set up out. SKF X Trackers.

The following users liked this post:
Chris Stavropoulos (06-26-2021)
Old 06-09-2015, 07:23 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
Hey guys, make sure to call up Improved racing and get their pan baffle so the new engine lives a happy life. While your at it they have an excellent crank scraper and of course a big oil cooler is a good idea with the abuse this car sees. I'd be willing to bet the engine failure was related to oil starvation.
Thanks for the info on Improved Racing. We have been looking at road race pans so this might be a great option. And yes I agree, we would be sure this is the reason of engine failure as well. Also oil temp seems to be a huge issue on the LS engines so looking at coolers as well. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: UMI Performance Suspension Over Haul - 1999 SS - Lots of pics!