Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

another i finally lowered my car thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 04:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another i finally lowered my car thread

greetings! don't do much posting as I cant say I would be able to contribute much but I have been lurking for a couple years and can say I can finally fill this site with things other people have already done! except its mine

this past year has been generous to me and now have the capability to put some much needed love back into the z. as much as I wanted to go fast I figured it would be a bad idea to not touch the suspension first. so after spending time and parting pieces together I was able to get it finished.

parts list
moog front upper and lower control arm bushings
moog lower and upper ball joints
moog tie rod ends
A1 cardone rack and pinion (leaking)
A1 cardone power steering pump (might as well)
BMR lowering springs
Koni yellow 4/3
founders LCA
founders LCARB
founders PHB
founders STB
strano sways

took about 2-3 weeks to install everything, my mechanic helped me with a few things I didn't want to do due to time constraints and my basic growing knowledge.

now the pics

this was right after I put my wheels on. no HH mod yet. scope my 4x4
another i finally lowered my car thread-photo-4.jpg
another shot showing my wheels, specifically how bad the gap actually is even with a taller tire.
another i finally lowered my car thread-photo-5.jpg

making this thread I realized I have no pictures of my car. this is the best pic I can find right now showing the gap when I did do the HH mod. definitely looked better than before
another i finally lowered my car thread-photo-1.jpg

and final look. just realized the shade makes it kind of hard to see the gap, but you can tell its better. I haven't had a chance to roll my fenders so I put my isolators back in. right now I can barely snuggle in two fingers for both the front and back gap. may just end up keeping isolators in forever. enjoying the stance as it is now.
another i finally lowered my car thread-photo-3.jpg

what really got me going was the great deal bmr had on their springs and konis. once I bought those I figured I would go all out and a couple grand later I am very happy with the results! car is definitely a whole different beast. the car had 130k miles on stock suspension, and you could tell. a couple months ago I put new rubber all around, continental extreme contact DW. that helped tremendously, I no longer felt scared to keep my foot down on a turn, as my goodyear take offs were so bad. after I put everything on though, WOW. the car hugs the floor and I can gas it with confidence the back end wont come swinging around. essentially no body roll, and stays flat and the body doesn't seem as aged anymore. now I know what everyone is talking about. koni and bmr is rougher, yes. but it is a smoother rougher if that makes sense? my stock decarbons were bad and felt worse. like an eager idiot I forgot to get my initial measurements and I will have to go out and measure tomorrow my final heights. car is sitting on OEM c6 5 spokes, 245/40/18 & 285/35/19. I believe this is almost an inch higher in the rear than my stock 16" snowflakes were. thanks for looking!
Old 04-09-2014, 05:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Swoop Dogg
took about 2-3 weeks to install everything, my mechanic helped me with a few things I didn't want to do due to time constraints and my basic growing knowledge.
to many beer breaks there son.

now I know what everyone is talking about. koni and bmr is rougher, yes. but it is a smoother rougher if that makes sense?
Yes, I like to call it firm yet smooth vs. the harsh ride of the stock parts.

once we get my dads truck fixed and free up their spare car (that he is driving while his truck is broke) I will be putting mine on jack stands and tearing apart the front to install my control arm bushings, ball joints, shocks and springs (did the tie rods and steering rack last year).
Old 04-09-2014, 06:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
to many beer breaks there son.
Lol I wish. Nah just wasn't in a rush and I'm barely learning to work on the Camaro so learning curve is there. Plus 12 hour work nights these past few weeks have been killer
Old 04-10-2014, 10:24 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad to see it turned out to your liking. Have you tried adjusting the Koni's yet to dial in your ride quality? If you are basically just daily driving the car and not doing any serious cornering, you can go a little bit to the looser side to soften it up
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 04-10-2014, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

Lol I wish. Nah just wasn't in a rush and I'm barely learning to work on the Camaro so learning curve is there. Plus 12 hour work nights these past few weeks have been killer
Beer breaks while reading the service manual.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:42 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
Beer breaks while reading the service manual.
I prefer beer breaks while reading How To threads on tech
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 04-10-2014, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
Glad to see it turned out to your liking. Have you tried adjusting the Koni's yet to dial in your ride quality? If you are basically just daily driving the car and not doing any serious cornering, you can go a little bit to the looser side to soften it up
I set the rears at one turn from full soft and fronts are at 4.5 turns from soft. I believe those were the common recommended settings. I'll most likely leave it at that, only took me a couple days to get used to it. My 130k stock decarbons weren't exactly the best either. The handling and feel definitely make up for the *slightly* rougher ride.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd probably back the rears down to 1/2 turn from full soft and the fronts up at least 1 sweep, maybe 2.

Quick Reply: another i finally lowered my car thread