Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rust-free rotor

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015 | 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Rust-free rotor

Are there any good rotors out there that are more rust preventative than others? Mine seem to give that water spot rust look pretty good and when it's wet and humid out my brakes seem to "slip" the first time I apply the brakes then they catch up after I push harder on the brake pedal, but it doesn't engage the ABS. After the first stop they're fine after that. I've been looking at Centric's carbon rotors or their cyro-treated ones, not sure if any of those would be better treated for a non-rusting coating on the rotors themselves. The next 10 days are rain and more rain so this is sparking my interest.

Currently run unknown drilled/slotted rotors, and ceramic pads. Would like plain rotors or slotted at the most with long lasting street pads if anyone has suggestions
Old 05-05-2015 | 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have cryo rotors on my other car and have the same issue. First stop sucks and all good the rest of the day.
Old 05-06-2015 | 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

how often do you drive? usually takes a few days for it to be noticeable on the pad area.

i've seen some people tape off and paint the "hat" on the new rotor before installing them (some brands come with that painted already) to prevent the exposed area that the brake pad doesn't clean off from rusting.
Old 05-06-2015 | 07:14 AM
Staging Lane

If you drive it every couple of days it shouldn't rust anyways
Old 05-06-2015 | 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

My brakemotive stuff stays fairly rust free. The car only gets driven on the weekends. Not sure if its related to the fact that I store it up on the mesa though.
Old 05-06-2015 | 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You've made good points that answered my question in a round about way. I drive the car daily and I park it over grass at night. It would only seem normal if water and dew get all over, underneath, and around my car, hence why my car is a rusty mess. I think I need some of those already painted rotors that the paint comes off after the first time your pads contact the rotors, that's my ticket I believe.

Only other question is what's a good pad for daily use?
Old 05-06-2015 | 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Search for zinc plated rotors if you want to keep them rust free. The zinc is a sacraficial metal and prevents corrosion. There are a few brands out there that have them. Ws6store.com sells some. There not anymore expensive then regular no name rotors.
Old 05-07-2015 | 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
Search for zinc plated rotors if you want to keep them rust free. The zinc is a sacraficial metal and prevents corrosion. There are a few brands out there that have them. Ws6store.com sells some. There not anymore expensive then regular no name rotors.
I still remember when I lived in Pittsburgh and was getting ready to attach zinc blocks to my sheet metal to stop rust...I was getting desperate.
Old 05-17-2015 | 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ATE rotors. You will get surface rust, but after you hit the brakes a couple times they look brand new again. I got mine from Strano.
Old 05-18-2015 | 12:31 PM
TECH Addict
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
This right here, zinc plated rotors are the way to go
Old 05-18-2015 | 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just know that zinc plated will only slow it down. Obviously if they never get wet they won't really rust, but if they routinely do get wet they'll rust eventually.

Do your car a favor and stop parking on grass. At least park on some gravel!
Old 05-18-2015 | 10:38 PM
Launching!

Zinc plated for sure. I run them and I'm rust free.
Old 05-19-2015 | 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Now that the April showers have come and gone, I haven't had any first stop issues in a little while. When winter rolls around I'll definitely be getting some zinc coated ones to prepare for that time of the year once again. Right now I think I'll try parking on gravel, see if that changes anything
Old 05-19-2015 | 06:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pseudonym
ATE rotors. You will get surface rust, but after you hit the brakes a couple times they look brand new again. I got mine from Strano.
Are you SURE they still make these for our cars?

I have them on all four corners as well, currently, but last I checked they were ALL gone, with NO plans by Conti/Ate to make any more for our app.

BTW; the Centric rotors are NOT 'carbon' rotors (they would be about 500x the price if they were!!), but they are 'high carbon steel' composition rotors.

Quick Reply: Rust-free rotor