Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Helpful hint for the day.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015 | 04:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Default Helpful hint for the day.....

Do not call me, with no history with me, pick my brain for 20 minutes and then catch an attitude when you don't like the answers you get.

I am not a mind reader. I don't know where your shocks are set, or even what specific shocks you have, as you didn't buy them from me. I understand they are on the car when you bought it. But it's your car, in your hands, and you have to figure out how to read a part number to tell me what shocks you have to further help you. You cannot just go to Koni and find out what is magically on your car, because there is more than one thing that could be on your car.

"My customer service is terrible". Ok, that's why I had spent 20 minutes on the phone with you in the first place talking to you about your springs. And telling you that you were premature in condemning the Koni's you have (which I can't sell you since you already own them!) because you don't know where they are set.

If my customer service sucks because I told you to listen carefully (because you weren't listening to what I was telling you at all, which was to get me the part numbers of the shocks you have and we can start there) then so be it. I'll say here what I told you on the phone, after you hung up on me after trying to explain many things to you, including that your springs might just be find and that the Eibach's you have of course will sit too low because there is no isolator. Too low after you put one in? I don't know, TRY IT AND FIND OUT.

That's my vent for the day, but it's a PSA for anyone calling any shop for any reason. Don't catch an attitude and hang up on someone trying to help you, especially for free.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-14-2015 | 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

some people dont appreciate help. they want everything handed to them on a silver platter.
Old 05-14-2015 | 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Face it Sam, you're part of a dying breed that actually wants to help people and give them a honest answer.

"Without idiots in this world how would we ever know when we've had a good day..?"
Old 05-15-2015 | 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

lol so true on so many levels. Not just with this industry either. I've gotten calls at work that go similar and it makes me want to rip my hair out at times!
Old 05-15-2015 | 10:45 AM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

hey sam i sent you a pm.
Old 05-15-2015 | 01:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
lol so true on so many levels. Not just with this industry either. I've gotten calls at work that go similar and it makes me want to rip my hair out at times!
Me too.............I used to sell tires, both to make a few bucks "on the side", as well as help me be able to keep the latest "hot set-up" on my own car. One of my buddies' friends needed tires for his pick-up, that was used for towing a travel trailer, so the "mutual buddy" directs the guy to me. I must have spent a good two hours answering every nit-picking question he had.

After all that, I asked if he wanted the tires I recommended. He said he thought so, so I called my warehouse. They didn't have them on hand but said they'd get them in for me.

A couple of days go by, and I don't hear back from the guy, so I call him. He stammers and fumbles around, and then says he bought them elsewhere....for less. I'm thinking NFW did he get them cheaper, so I ask him what EXACTLY did he buy, and he tells me.

The numb-nutz buys some "off brand specials", where I was quoting him a price on top-line GoodYears!!

Crazy people out there!!
Old 05-15-2015 | 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just more proof this world is headed to hell in a hand basket. No one knows how to communicate anymore, no one knows how to listen, and everyone wants everything and they want it right now. I think I'll just sit here and drink.
Old 05-15-2015 | 02:26 PM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

I believe the movie idiocracy was a documentary about our future
Old 05-15-2015 | 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Disclaimer, I was not the guy he's referring to.

Sam, I've thought about buying shocks and your springs from you before. But your attitude has always rubbed me wrong and I just can't support you. All this "matter of fact" "I'm always right" "check out my trophies" stuff... some (not all) people like Brian at LME, Kip at Cam Motion or Mike at WS6Store like to talk to their customers. I take my business to them. Therefore, all of my money goes to UMI, BMR and MWC with the occasional Founders or Spohn.

While I agree that people should be more informed when calling a vendor to discuss a set-up, based on your responses on here, I would be willing to bet the guy you said "didn't like your answer" actually didn't like your response. Meaning your attitude. This isn't a popularity contest, your results speak loudly. But why do you have to be so standoffish?

Just my $.02
Old 05-15-2015 | 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've called Sam's shop multiple times looking for advice and he's been happy to help me. As such, I buy my parts from Sam and have been very pleased with the results.

My $.02....if you're taking the time to dial up Sam, it's because you recognize that he has something you need (information/knowledge/possibly parts). With that understanding, just shut up and be willing to listen.

After the conversation is complete, take some time to digest the information and come to your own conclusion. I'd be an idiot to think I have a better understanding of what makes these cars "handle", so I go with the advice that Sam's provided and I've been pleased with the results.
Old 05-15-2015 | 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by themealonwheels

Sam, I've thought about buying shocks and your springs from you before. But your attitude has always rubbed me wrong and I just can't support you. All this "matter of fact" "I'm always right" "check out my trophies" stuff... some (not all) people like Brian at LME, Kip at Cam Motion or Mike at WS6Store like to talk to their customers. I take my business to them. Therefore, all of my money goes to UMI, BMR and MWC with the occasional Founders or Spohn.

While I agree that people should be more informed when calling a vendor to discuss a set-up, based on your responses on here, I would be willing to bet the guy you said "didn't like your answer" actually didn't like your response. Meaning your attitude. This isn't a popularity contest, your results speak loudly. But why do you have to be so standoffish?

Just my $.02
After years and years of answering the same stupid questions I'm sure eventually there a point where you stop "politely" correcting people.

I buy parts based on their performance, not how sweetly some salesperson pitches them to me. I'm a very blunt person myself and I tend to turn off many people so I can see where Sam is coming from. It's not the best business model or the most profitable but in the end you're not calling vendors to make friends, you're calling to buy parts. And Sam sells some of the best parts around
Old 05-16-2015 | 03:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by themealonwheels

Just my $.02
This. I agree 100%. I respect Sam's accomplishments and knowledge, but do not and will not support his attitude. I've seen it in writing all too often on this board and others. I refuse to buy his stuff, even if it is great stuff simply because of his attitude.

Originally Posted by M4N14C
After years and years of answering the same stupid questions I'm sure eventually there a point where you stop "politely" correcting people.

I buy parts based on their performance, not how sweetly some salesperson pitches them to me. I'm a very blunt person myself and I tend to turn off many people so I can see where Sam is coming from. It's not the best business model or the most profitable but in the end you're not calling vendors to make friends, you're calling to buy parts. And Sam sells some of the best parts around
No, you don't. EVER. In a retail sales business you NEVER EVER EVER stop being polite. You ESPECIALLY don't do it in WRITING on a PUBLIC forum!

It's o.k to be blunt and to vent, we are all human. But business is NOT human and that business is represented by whoever is talking to the customer. If the same stupid question is asked a googillian times, it should be answered by that business politely a googillian times. That simple.

You're not just buying parts, you're buying a service. And if the business you are dealing with (at any level) provides excellent courteous service then hopefully they'll get a return customer. If that business has an owner that goes around forums writing things like this (thread) and presenting a tone of "better-than-thou" they'll lose customers before they even knew they were a business (like me).

It's a damn shame too, because I really like his product based on reviews alone.

There's your helpful hint Mr. Strano.

BTW, I'm not the guy he's talking about either. I have no desire to converse with him.

/rant
Old 05-16-2015 | 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
I believe the movie idiocracy was a documentary about our future
So true !
It's a funny movie, but I can see it's similarity with the direction some of today youth are headed.
Old 05-16-2015 | 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I can say the Sam is a great guy. I bought my Bilstein SLP's from him along with a set of his springs. Then I bought a used set of Strano sway bars from a fellow member but the rear bar was missing the bushing mounting brackets. Even though I didn't buy the sway bars from him, when I sent Sam an email wanting to get a set of brackets, he responded promptly not only pointing me in the direction of the company that made the parts for him but that companies actual part number to make it easy. Now he didn't have to do that, could have told me to pound sand since I didn't buy the sway bars from him but he actually went above and beyond to solve my problem.

Thanks Sam for all you do for your customers!
Old 05-16-2015 | 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

Sam IS the most knowledgeable vendor on here when it comes to making 4th gen f bodies turn and stop!

Part of the problem is that many on here expect him to be able to set up their cars so that; they look 'slammed' to the ground, ride like a smooth, cushy old Caddy, cut a 1.2 sixty foot at the strip, and then handle like a road race prepped Vette or Porsche.

This IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DO (ESPECIALLY with a SOLID rear axle!), and there are ALWAYS compromises, so pick ONE, and live with it!
Old 05-16-2015 | 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

theres always someone learning this stuff for the first time. Wether its a new generation, or people who are barely getting into suspension. If youve had a million dumb customers in the past, get ready for a million more because its not gonna stop as much as we rant online.

I wasnt the guy on the phone either, but if im spending hundreds of dollars on something, i dont expect to be treated rudely for asking questions. However, i believe you should treat others the way you want to be treated, so if a customer is also being rude, then he should expect to be treated the same way.

Ive had great experiences with strano before, and i would gladly recommend him to others.

Quick Reply: Helpful hint for the day.....