Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Are ATS 4 piston Brembros as strong as the GEN CTS-V/GEN5 Camaro Brembros

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Are ATS 4 piston Brembros as strong as the GEN CTS-V/GEN5 Camaro Brembros

I'm looking at the different caliper options to swap on the front of a Fbody and I'm really liking the ATS calipers if their as good as the other 4 piston Brembos. They're priced a little less than the other 4 piston Brembos and I think they're a better looking caliper. Do they work with a 14" rotor or do the base ATS cars use smaller rotors? If they use a 13" rotor then it might be a good option if you want to stay with 17's.

Here's a link to them on Summit but Amazon has the for less than $100 a caliper. I haven't been able to find anything about Fbody guys using them. Just WRX guys swapping to them.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/ado...SuwaAvaz8P8HAQ
Old 03-29-2017, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The base ATS Brembo and base non Z51 C7 front Brembos are the same and use a 12.6" rotor.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:34 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Lots of info here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...st-brakes.html
Old 03-29-2017, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay thanks. That link does have some good info on them. I might go with a different caliper as I run C6Z wheels and would like to take advantage of being able to run larger diameter rotors.

Will larger and newer brakes help with the crappy ABS in these cars or do I just need to delete the ABS to get rid of the momentary lose of power braking when slowing from a highway speed roll?
Old 03-29-2017, 08:55 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

That's a different issue. Sounds like you may have air trapped in the ABS module (which you can't really bleed out - have to open the ABS solenoids with a Tech 2 or do some low speed rolls with wheels in the air to engage ABS while bleeding).

However, if you delete the ABS, you can go with a proportioning valve which might be a good call with oversized front brakes. You can then dial in the bias a bit better.

The ABS units on these cars are not great though. With essentially the same brakes, a little less weight, and less tire up front, a C5 Corvette stops much shorter than an F-Body. And it's because the ABS system works better...
Old 03-30-2017, 05:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Don't know if this will help you but there is a seller on Ebay with new Camaro SS Brembo calipers with pads really cheap ($75.99 each), The problem is that they are only selling LH calipers, The only issue you'll have by running a left hand caliper on the right side is where the line connects to the caliper, You can run them as is or tap and thread the boss that's already there to make it a true right hand caliper. I bought two and when they arrived I ordered two more for a future build. Can't beat the price when used calipers without pads are selling for more. If the one linked are sold out look at the sellers other items he has more than one auction with the same calipers.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232110019005...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edit: Just talked to someone who knows more about brake calipers than I do and he said although the calipers look the same and should work just fine there is a difference in the size of the pistons so in effect the calipers are directional, From Brembo's site "Brembo's calipers are directional, due to the use of sequential piston sizes. The leading pistons are smaller in diameter in order to combat uneven wear of the brake pads. Upon close examination of the caliper, you will find a small arrow cast in place which denotes the direction of disc rotation.

Last edited by LLLosingit; 03-30-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Don't know if this will help you but there is a seller on Ebay with new Camaro SS Brembo calipers with pads really cheap ($75.99 each), The problem is that they are only selling LH calipers, The only issue you'll have by running a left hand caliper on the right side is where the line connects to the caliper, You can run them as is or tap and thread the boss that's already there to make it a true right hand caliper. I bought two and when they arrived I ordered two more for a future build. Can't beat the price when used calipers without pads are selling for more. If the one linked are sold out look at the sellers other items he has more than one auction with the same calipers.

Edit: Just talked to someone who knows more about brake calipers than I do and he said although the calipers look the same and should work just fine there is a difference in the size of the pistons so in effect the calipers are directional, From Brembo's site "Brembo's calipers are directional, due to the use of sequential piston sizes. The leading pistons are smaller in diameter in order to combat uneven wear of the brake pads. Upon close examination of the caliper, you will find a small arrow cast in place which denotes the direction of disc rotation.

are the 5th gen rotors a direct bolt up?
Old 04-12-2017, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 300 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Spectre86
The center hubs have to be bored out to 70.6mm If I rememeber right
Old 04-12-2017, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Spectre86
Make sure the rotoe diameter and calipers match. Are the Brembo Camaro rotors 14" rotors? Is the ATS calipers fit a 12.6" rotor then I don't think they'll easy bolt up and work on the factory mounts.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:01 PM
TECH Junkie

It has been posted a few times that the CTS-V and Camaro SS Brembo's are the same caliper with the only difference being the bolt that attaches the caliper to the mount is a different size. I used mine on a 2000 S10 and used Z06 14" rotors.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

It has been posted a few times that the CTS-V and Camaro SS Brembo's are the same caliper with the only difference being the bolt that attaches the caliper to the mount is a different size. I used mine on a 2000 S10 and used Z06 14" rotors.
But we're talking about base model ATS Brembo's and not the CTS-V Brembo's.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

the ones for $76 are rear calipers.... the ones for $99 are front calipers
Old 04-14-2017, 09:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
the ones for $76 are rear calipers.... the ones for $99 are front calipers
I paid $89.99 for mine and then a few days later the price went down to $75.99 Looks like the price went up.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did not buy/install this setup as of yet.

Probably going to do this ATS setup over the 1st gen CTS-V setup...

Reason being:
-C7 325mm rotors will just bolt right up (5th gen Camaro 355mm rotors need hub bore increased)
-4th gen Camaro brake lines bolt right up (no adapters needed)
-Unsprung weight: 20 lb C7 325mm rotors v. 25 lb 5th gen Camaro 355mm rotors

Other comparison can be the C5/C6 brake swap with the bracket and cutting of spindles...
-Same rotor size at 325mm
-Similar cost (if not more for the C5/C6 kit)
-2 piston v. 4 piston caliper
-heat dissipation
-aesthetics ("look")

Any other feedback from users?
Old 08-01-2017, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm following along on this as I like the idea behind it and the cheaper price is always a plus. Can you post up what all you've bought, and original application in one post for those of us following along at home?
Old 01-17-2019, 09:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone know if the ATS brakes fit with 17” SS wheels?
Old 01-17-2019, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1
Does anyone know if the ATS brakes fit with 17” SS wheels?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-brakes-3.html This thread should have all the info and fitmit questions answered.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

My video, not SS wheels but TA wheels, toward the end is fitment:
Old 01-19-2019, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the quick responses!! The video above pretty much answers my questions..
Old 01-19-2019, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1
Thanks for the quick responses!! The video above pretty much answers my questions..
Good deal!

Quick Reply: Are ATS 4 piston Brembros as strong as the GEN CTS-V/GEN5 Camaro Brembros