Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front height after stock spring reinstall?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 04:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Front height after stock spring reinstall?

So I'm working on getting my front suspension back together. For a couple of years I had a pair of cheap fleabay lowering springs, and I was tired of the harsh ride so I figured I'd throw the stock springs back on.

I refreshed the entire front suspension. Ball joints, bushings, tie rods, etc.

Got the front springs on (after much cursing. God I hate compressing springs) and to get a rough alignment in, lowered the car onto a set of wheel stands.

The car is sitting waaaay high. I mean like gap from the top of the tire to the wheel well is 5-6".

Is this normal? Is this just a "suspension needs to settle" thing or did I screw up somewhere? I can't imagine I mixed up the front and rear springs.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a pic for reference

the lower bushing bolts were tightened to prevent any sudden slipping, but not torqued.

only thing not on the car at this point is the front bumper. so it's not a lack of weight issue.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Have you driven the car around any since putting the springs on? If not do that and it should settle some, i just went through this changing springs and everytime i changed them the car would sit abnormally high til i drove around some.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have not had a chance to drive it. still waiting on a tune at the moment.

I figured the suspension would settle some, but if memory serves there was something like a 2" gap between tire and fender before. does it really settle that much?
Old 12-05-2017, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Are these actual real stock springs that came on the car or something like moog replacements?
Moog sit extra high from what Ive seen on here, but stock can sit really high as well.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Are these actual real stock springs that came on the car or something like moog replacements?
Moog sit extra high from what Ive seen on here, but stock can sit really high as well.
X2. I just went through with this using "stock" AC Delco springs from Rock Auto:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...29-75-wtf.html

...and so did this guy with other, "stock" springs: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ar-higher.html

What springs are you using, and did you torque things down with the suspension loaded?

Oh and go to Autozone and rent this thing; it is AWESOME! https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...l-tool-az.html
Old 12-05-2017, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

These are the stock springs. Same springs that were on the car when I bought it. The car sat, much, much lower when I bought it.

As I stated in my first post, nothing was fully "torqued". I had tightened the nuts on the lower control arm to prevent sudden slipping, but nothing near full torque. I'll go back and loosen them and see if that makes a difference.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by HappySalesman
I have not had a chance to drive it. still waiting on a tune at the moment.

I figured the suspension would settle some, but if memory serves there was something like a 2" gap between tire and fender before. does it really settle that much?
the car will settle some after driving it...i think mine dropped about 1" or so just driving it around for like 10 minutes. However i wouldn't expect it to drop much more then that. It is odd that your car would be sitting higher since your using the original springs.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yours looks really high.Did you make sure to position the coil springs in the spring pockets? They have to orientated correctly and you should be good to go. When I changed shocks/coils the car sat at the correct height, it MIGHT have settled 1/2 in or so.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
Yours looks really high.Did you make sure to position the coil springs in the spring pockets? They have to orientated correctly and you should be good to go. When I changed shocks/coils the car sat at the correct height, it MIGHT have settled 1/2 in or so.
Yup, springs are positioned correctly. even went in with a sharpie to make sure that when I took the clamps off everything was dead centered.

played with the passenger side a bit. loosened and gently tightened the nuts, same with the ball joints. looks like it might be a little lower. I'll throw the wheel on when I get home and see

one question comes up though. how important is it that the lower strut mount be perfectly aligned with the lca? I figure some movement is allowed since the angle of the lca will change with an alignment, but I wonder if it's off it can cause some kind of binding issue.

Quick Reply: Front height after stock spring reinstall?