Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR K-member broke!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 07:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theblur98ss
That's the first time I've ever heard of that happening. How old is the unit? I'd contact BMR. I'm sure they'll take care of it. How did it snap...what were you doing when it happened?
This will be the second tme, then ....

http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?a...=0&#entry17786

In response to "what were you doing when it happened?" ...

When I snapped the end off my PHB, most everyone was very quick to jump on the "Well, you were on a race track and stuff breaks." wagon. Don't go there ...

Yes, stuff breaks ... anywhere.

How many times have we read on this and other forums about how beefy and strong BMR components are?

As strong as stock? Do a search ... how many STOCK, OEM, FACTORY PHB, LCAs and K-Members do you see that have broken or snapped?

I also received "There are a lot of BMR products out there, so one or 2 is such a low percentage blah, blah, blah" comments. The percentage of STOCK components breaking is MUCH lower because of the number of STOCK components out there. So, using that logic, again, stock is better than BMR. A person can make statistics justify anything.

For those of you pissed off about your parts breaking, why would you even consider putting the same thing on your car? It's already broken once, gonna try for a double play? Why not just go back with OEM rotors? So what if they warped once ... it's the same logic ...

Suspension parts breaking is a serious, serious deal. At hiway speeds it could cause a wreck, involving you and any number of people. And do you think your insurance company is gonna turn a blind eye to a busted aftermarket part as the cause?

Wake up, people ... you get EXACTLY what you pay for.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:55 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
No way ... you know the statistics on the life expectancy of a test pilot?
Yeah, but they go out with a BANG!

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Suspension parts breaking is a serious, serious deal. At hiway speeds it could cause a wreck, involving you and any number of people. And do you think your insurance company is gonna turn a blind eye to a busted aftermarket part as the cause?
He's right
Old 07-08-2004, 08:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sniper,
Sorry to hear of your troubles. It sounds like a real PITA - not only do you have the flatbed to cover and your car OOC, but possibly installing a new K-member too. Good news is that it didn't happen on a freeway offramp or something.

Hopefully, BMR will make it right for you. With that said, though, I have to agree with Mitch, there's only a couple of folks I will trust my suspension and brakes to - they're just too damn important. If it were me, I'd consider going back to the stock unit (at least until the LG is available).

Good luck
Old 07-08-2004, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mitch, you'll be happy to know my BMR STB is doing fine.

(But thats the only thing BMR on the car, surely they can make a peice of pipe correctly) .... *Looks under hood to see STB in a pretzel knot* 'Doh!
Old 07-08-2004, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by glitch77
Mitch, you'll be happy to know my BMR STB is doing fine.

(But thats the only thing BMR on the car, surely they can make a peice of pipe correctly) .... *Looks under hood to see STB in a pretzel knot* 'Doh!
Old 07-08-2004, 10:34 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

uhhh... never mind (stupid post)
Old 07-08-2004, 12:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Now I'm wondering if there is something I should
do to the K-member after install to beef it up. I
can see places some strapping or gusseting might
help unload the weld at a fairly low weight penalty
and the cost of a little grind-n-weld shop time.
I sent BMR tech support an email asking this.
Will see what comes from that. I guess I'd rather
void whatever warranty they might have, and
fix it beefy, than exercise said warranty for broke.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

UPDATE:

Just received a call from the tech, named Frank. BMR usually doesn't warranty parts over a year old, but in my case the company is making an exception. They are going to send a brand new piece out and I have to send them the broken one when I get the new one installed. He explained to me that in all the hundreds of K-members they have sold, he has only heard of 3 breaking (mine being one). He also said that they have changed the design of the piece, specifically the area that broke on mine. for customer service.
I know alot of you responded and I'm glad you guys did. You were a big help and support (because most of my friends are like "well it's just a car"). I'm going to have the piece installed. That's my decision. Most of you guys that responded to this may think I'm an a**hole and stupid for making that decision, and some of you will think that my decision is fine. Regardless, that's my decision. Thanks to everyone for responding!!
Old 07-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

You are not stupid.

I would make the manufacturer replace the part too. If it breaks again a year later, then I might look for something else (or stick it too them again, but more angrily )
Old 07-08-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sniper33
Trackbird, how's the AJE?? Do you know or have you heard anything??
I'm not familiar with it, sorry.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

RE:
http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?a...=0&#entry17786

Here are pics of Tony's broken BMR K-Member ...
Taken with a camera phone, so image quality is a little grainy, but ...

Old 07-08-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sniper33
If that's directed towards me, thanks wise ***. Too bad it's been on the car for almost a year and a half.
Actually it wasn't directed specifically at you at all. It was just a general statement that failures of BMR products in general have been written about over the last 2 years or so. A search will show you what I mean. I was under the impression that most people already knew this. I guess not. I have a BMR STB on my car, but after all the broken part stories that I've read I elected to limit my purchases to LG or other very proven manufacturers. Sorry if it sounded like a slam to you, it wasn't intended that way.

BTW I hope your not using the fact that it's been on the car for a year and a half as an example of it's quality ? A K-member should have enough excess strength built into it that it will never break under any circumstance other than a violent collision. This is of course IMO.

Edit: After thinking it over I thought I should also add this. Because I'm so involved in ORR my views are much harsher about suspension components breaking than most peoples would be. In ORR a broken k-member or other suspension piece etc. would very likely result in my death. There is no room here for failure so when I comment on suspension components it is from that perspective.

Last edited by Racehead; 07-08-2004 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya know... you put a piece that most people will tell you is for track use only, and when it breaks after being beaten on daily for 1.5 years, you shouldn't be all that surprised.

A bunch of you jump all over these vendors for parts breaking or not being as strong as OEM....... it's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, if you expect OEM quality, buy OEM, otherwise, stay out of the aftermarket! Seriously, if you want OEM quality, use OEM parts and DON'T MOD YOU CAR!

Do you realize the amount of time and money that goes into designing OEM parts? There is no way ANY aftermarket company could design something with OEM strength and sell it for a price anyone would pay for. The OEM's have the advantage of volume production to spread the R&D costs over. The little guys do the best they can with their budget (sounds a lot like you get what you pay for). But they also don't claim it's OEM quality.

And a note to BMR, I'm glad they are replacing the K-member, it's great customer service, and very nice of them to do on a product that is sold with NO warranty

WARRANTY/DISCLAIMER THE PURCHASER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR DETERMINING THE SUITABILITY AND ACCEPTABILITY OF ANY AND ALL PRODUCTS PURCHASED FROM BMR.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Purchaser understands and recognizes that racing parts, equipment and services by or manufactured and/or sold by BMR, are subject to varied conditions due to the manner in which they are to be installed and used. The acceptibility and suitability of any part sold or manufactured by BMR for a particular application is solely the purchaser's decision. BMR makes no warranties whatsoever, expressed or implied, oral or written, THERE IS NO WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY.
The right to make changes in design or add to or improve on their product without incurring any obligation to install the same on products previously manufactured is expressly reserved.

Buyer agrees to indemnify and hold Seller harmless from any claim, action or demand arising out of or incident to Buyer's installation or use of products purchased from BMR.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

ORR?

Another note: Those waiting on LG's K-Member have been waiting for over a year now.. NOTHING, and you know it's going to be priced with all other LG parts.... VERY HIGH!
Old 07-08-2004, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most of you guys that responded to this may think I'm an a**hole and stupid for making that decision, and some of you will think that my decision is fine. Regardless, that's my decision. Thanks to everyone for responding!!
Good for you man. Hopefully you wont have any more problems!

It IS nice to see BMR step up to the plate on this one. They could have gone another route, but they chose the high-ground. At least they didnt blatantly deny the problem and say 'screw you'. Better than nothing!

Just keep an eye on it.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your opinion couldn't be further from my own. When I bolt an aftermarket part on my car I'm not looking for OEM quality and strength, but rather something much better and much stronger. OEM doesn't mean quality to me, it means cheap. OEM quality is the base from which I intend to move upward from, not downward from. OEM parts are designed to be #1 cheap and #2 strong enough to not break so they don't get sued. It is not difficult at all to surpass OEM quality. Most OEM parts actually leave much to be desired in the quality department. IMO there's no reason in the world why an aftermarket part shouldn't be at least as good/durable as an OEM part, in fact it should be much better. I guess we'll have to just agree to dis-agree on this one.

ORR= open road racing .... and yes the price of many LG components is very high. Kind of like the value I place on my life.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

angst I hope you post the same rant when someone comments on how "strong and beefy" ANY aftermarket part is when discussed.

Based upon your assessment of OEM vs aftermarket, it would only be fair.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with Racehead, I don't thinnk that a lot of engineering went into making some stamped steel parts for our cars. When I replaced my suspension parts, I could not believe how generic some of the parts are. If you have ever looked at a stock K member, they are pretty generic also. They are strong just because of the amount of material used, there is no doubt that the aftermarket parts are far better than the OEM parts.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Most to all companys send a disclaimer such as the BMR one, this is to protect them from liability issues. Would it actually work in court? i dont know. But any compnay that is proud of there work should gaurantee it free of defects for life. If they know its quality it should not be a problem. I know my stuff is and I feel comfortable knowing that.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:36 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I'm with everybody else who's commented on angst911. I think see what you're getting at man, that we shouldn't be too hard on the aftermarket, although since you've got a bunch of mods in your signature I wonder what you're expecting from your car. You've put that money into a 12 bolt, brakes, suspension, and yet you don't expect those parts to outperform the OEM bits?? Didn't you buy the Strange 12 bolt (to name one example) because it could handle MORE torque than the OEM 10 bolt, not less?

I think it's totally reasonable to expect a GOOD aftermarket manufacturer to design and build something like a K-member which outperforms the OEM part in one or more performance measurements, although likely at a higher cost than an OEM part. It should be either
1) stronger
2) lighter
3) make you go faster
4) resist fading better
5) corner flatter
or have some other measurable benefit, like crisper throttle response / increased flow capacity. It should be expected to cost more, because it's made by more labor intensive methods (hand welded tubing vs. stamped) or with more expensive materials (machined from billet instead of a casting).

I mean for cripes' sake, the K-member broke while he was parking!! I think we should demand a higher standard from the aftermarket. I'm glad to hear BMR's customer service has been good, and that they've changed their design to address those shortcomings. It says alot for them that they're taking steps to correct the situation.

Quick Reply: BMR K-member broke!!