Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How about some hard core brake tech ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How about some hard core brake tech ?? Why not to run crossdrilled and/or slotted....

Wadda ya say......are you ready for some hard core brake tech?? You might want to do a little reading on the subject of 'why not to run drilled and/or slotted rotors'. Its about time to bring some of you up to speed.

First, start off with this one

This has the link to the imfamous Altimas.net thread (Page three is where it gets good)

And then move on to this one

How about some discussion about size? Does it really matter??

Enjoy.........

Last edited by chicane; 09-02-2004 at 01:14 AM.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck in this. Mitchntx and I have been fighting this battle for a long time. Welcome aboard. There is a page on my website (in my sig) under the technical pages about them as well.

Kevin
Old 09-02-2004, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

The battle is and has been, long and over. There is more data and experience to prove what they are not worth. If those that choose to do so....I hope you come out of it alive, or atleast you dont harm anyone wasting your hard earned money.

All of this really comes down to fact of, weather or not the one whom purchases and installs such a product, can actually drive a vehicle well enough to merit an accolade worthy of saying that the modified rotors are worth it, in a true performance and/or saftey sense. If that can not be proven in the real world, what is said will not merit any consideration nor will it justify the time spent reading useless and unsupportive information.

I encourage anyone to prove other wise. But you better bring some emperical data with it.....

Last edited by chicane; 09-03-2004 at 12:34 AM. Reason: grammer, relative support information
Old 09-02-2004, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

chicane, I gladly pass the torch on to you.

The jerks and dips have worn me down to a bloody knub.

I've all but given up giving advice and opinion, all based upon spending countless hours with a wrench in one hand and scratching my head with the other ... not to mention my Visa bill at the end of the month.

I say let'em spend their hard earned money, waste their precious time and fix/re-fix stuff over and over again ... just like I did. I found out the hard way and it is co-dependent of me to try and make them understand.

Vendors and Suppliers should love it ...

Slots and holes rock ...

Last edited by mitchntx; 09-03-2004 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Slots and holes rock ...

Lol. And I thought they just lightened your wallet.....

Old 09-03-2004, 03:37 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

I for one am glad I learned how worthless this crap is before dropping any of my hard earned dollars on them. Thanks to all of those who go out of their way to help others for no personal gain other than to risk being flamed by people talking with a 400 hp mouth operated by a 1/2 hp brain.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trackbird
Lol. And I thought they just lightened your wallet.....

Thanks for the recommendation on the Brembo OEM rotors......just got all 4 rotors installed, Hawk HPS pads and ATE Super Blue and all I can say is...
Car stops great Stops HARD and SMOOTH.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JamRWS6

Thanks for the recommendation on the Brembo OEM rotors......just got all 4 rotors installed, Hawk HPS pads and ATE Super Blue and all I can say is...

Glad to hear that those parts fixed you up. The difference is signifigant.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JamRWS6

Do the Hawk's make much or any noise?

Mitch and Trackbird are invaluable resources that speak not only from knowledge but more importantly, experience.

Did you get the Brembo OEM rotors from tirerack.com?
PS, where did you get the brake fluid?

Last edited by CANNIBAL; 09-06-2004 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate the kind words.

But I'm just a slow schmoe who, I guess, is a glutten for punishment
Old 09-06-2004, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I appreciate the kind words.

But I'm just a slow schmoe who, I guess, is a glutten for punishment

The first step is admitting that you have a problem.....lol

Levi,

The HPS pads can make noise, sometimes. It seems to depend. Some cars they are quiet, some are squeaky (the anti squeak "goo" may correct that). Or, more than likley, they will squeak on the rare occasion (that's "normal" for most cars, just an occasional squeak). PM glitch77 and see how his are working (he has them on his Z). That may be a better way to find out.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trackbird
The first step is admitting that you have a problem.....lol

Levi,

The HPS pads can make noise, sometimes. It seems to depend. Some cars they are quiet, some are squeaky (the anti squeak "goo" may correct that). Or, more than likley, they will squeak on the rare occasion (that's "normal" for most cars, just an occasional squeak). PM glitch77 and see how his are working (he has them on his Z). That may be a better way to find out.
I had HPS then went to HP+ when it worn out. The HPS dusted slightly more than stock but did offer just lil improvement in braking. It was quiet as the stock, However the HP+ was the major difference, very hard to fade on the street with ATE superblue brake fluid and real aggressive driving and racing from mostly 130mph slam to 60mph. But under normal town driving, they squeak loud under light braking loads and I have people asking me what is wrong with my brakes or my brakes are squeaking.
The outcome of that? melted dust boots
And don't wash your wheels within a week to two, the heavy brake dust spots will stick to your wheels and make it impossible to remove.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm running the HP+ pads now and I really don't like them. The HPS have a decent feel with good bite and are easy to modulate. The HP+ say "street/track" pad. They seem to lack the bite and ability to modulate that you get with the HPS and they don't take the heat like my Carbotech Panther Plus pads did (granted, a "race" pad, but it worked great in the snow and on 10 degree days, still better than stock. However, my wheels are "black" for good at this point.)
Old 09-07-2004, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
Do the Hawk's make much or any noise?

Mitch and Trackbird are invaluable resources that speak not only from knowledge but more importantly, experience.

Did you get the Brembo OEM rotors from tirerack.com?
PS, where did you get the brake fluid?
I haven't noticed any noise over the stockers......the pads just flat out grab really well. I think they are dusting more than the stockers but I can live with that for the much better braking.

Yeah I got the rotors from tirerack.com and they had great service...the rotors were on my doorstep 2 days after I ordered them.

I got the super blue from OGracing....I'd post a link but don't think they are a sponsor here.

I couldn't be happier with the setup.....especially for the price. And this is coming from someone who usually buys the most expensive best quality stuff available.

Quick Reply: How about some hard core brake tech ??