Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What exactly does a PHR do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question What exactly does a PHR do?

I plan on getting BMR SFC and was wondering if I should get the PHR also. What is it's function? Is it necessary if I don't plan on lowering the car (I scrape enough as it is).
Old 09-20-2004, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The PHR (Panhard rod), is what keeps the rear end centered under the car. When lowering, an ADJUSTABLE PHR is REQUIRED. Some people have gotten away without one, but don't count on it.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ My rear-end is shifted to the driver's side by about an inch or less. Do you think I should go with the adj. PHR and you're saying that would fix it? I don't plan on lowering the car, but I do want my rear to be centered. I also think that's why my car pulls to the left (driver side) rather briskly.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TransAm52804
^ My rear-end is shifted to the driver's side by about an inch or less. Do you think I should go with the adj. PHR and you're saying that would fix it? I don't plan on lowering the car, but I do want my rear to be centered. I also think that's why my car pulls to the left (driver side) rather briskly.

It would allow you to adjust where the rear axle is located and center your axle. So, I would suggest an adjustable PHB for your car.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get one. They're relativley cheap and they work. Thier main purpose is to center the axle, like everyone else said.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What about a non-adjustable PHR? If my rearend is centered do I need one? I like canyon-carving and need to know if this is a waste of $ for someone in my situation. I know they are cheap, but if I don't need to spend $100, I would rather invest that elsewhere, i.e, torque arm, shocks, etc. TIA.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2ndGenWs6Owner
What about a non-adjustable PHR? If my rearend is centered do I need one? I like canyon-carving and need to know if this is a waste of $ for someone in my situation. I know they are cheap, but if I don't need to spend $100, I would rather invest that elsewhere, i.e, torque arm, shocks, etc. TIA.
As I said, for a lowered car, an adjustable PHR is needed. A non-adjustable would be completely pointless, because you need the adjustablilty to center the rear after lowering.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

UMI Sponsor----------------------------------------->

Adjustable PHB with a QA1 rod end XMR for $99
Old 09-22-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

what else do i need to lower my car??? besides springs and adj PHR anything else???
i just want to LOWER MY CAR thatz it
Old 09-22-2004, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Since this suspension does not utilize angled upper control arms (like the the live axle Mustangs for instance) or leaf springs there needs to be a structural member locating the axle during side loading. By side loading I mean any force that applied to the rear tire contact patch with direction perpendicular to the sidewall. In our case, this job falls to the PHR. Essentially, if you eliminated the PHR it would mean that your axle is (for all intents and purposes) free to slide out from under the car to one side or the other (think of an axle with the C-clip removed).

Since the PHR swings in an arc (like a pendulum) there is some side to side movement as the suspension goes up and down. The longer the PHR the less the side-side movement. When you lower the car its the same as pushing down on the suspension from the PHR's point of view and will result in its "pulling" the axle toward the pass. side a bit. Exactly how much is a factor of your particular car's tolerances, the amount of drop, etc. So, yes, an adjustable PHR is a very good idea when lowering. You'll most likely be able to get away without one initially unless maybe you're using wider rear tires or wheels with less positive offset than stock or both.

IMO, I'd look elsewhere than BMR for an adjustable PHR. Their center adjustable design is
Old 09-22-2004, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

a buddy of mine just got an adj. panhard rod from BMR and the adjuster is not in the middle it's about 6 or 8 inches from one end.Maybe they just recently changed it Seems to be a nice piece IMO
Old 09-22-2004, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

I would definitely get an adjustable to fix the centering problem you have, but it won't have any effect on your car pulling to the left. That problem has to be from another cause.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TX_SS
what else do i need to lower my car??? besides springs and adj PHR anything else???
i just want to LOWER MY CAR thatz it

You'll want LCA's too. Relocation brackets are optional but reccommended.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:17 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sikws6
a buddy of mine just got an adj. panhard rod from BMR and the adjuster is not in the middle it's about 6 or 8 inches from one end.Maybe they just recently changed it Seems to be a nice piece IMO
I just got one from Spohn that is the same design, and it looks like a very sturdy piece. It takes the adjuster out of the middle (which is where the greatest bending moment is), and I like it. Yeah, it might not handle the abuse of road racing, but then again, I never do that kinda racing.

Quick Reply: What exactly does a PHR do?