Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What are your caster/camber numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What are your caster/camber numbers?

I decided to finally get an alignment today since the outside of my left tire was wearing pretty bad. The initial numbers were surprising:

Camber: -0.5/-1.0
Caster: 3.6/4.2
Toe: -0.06/-0.06

Is this much positive camber normal from the factory? He said our cars didn't have a camber adjustment so I was just surprised how much positive there was. After numbers were as follows:

Camber: -0.1/-0.3
Caster: 3.0/3.7
Toe: 0.00/0.01

So I'm still stumped as to why the outside of my left front tire is wearing, because by my numbers it looks like the right side should wear more if anything. Who knows.

And on another note, my rear end is shifted a bit towards the right side of my car. How can this be adjusted? Just loosen the LCA bolts and shift it?

Last edited by BADFNZ; 11-25-2004 at 12:38 AM.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:40 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Here is my current alignment:
CAMBER: -0.6* (maxed out)
CASTER: +4.4* one side and +4.6* the other side (closest they could get)
TOE IN: 1/32
(I went with more of a performance alingment)

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
And on another note, my rear end is shifted a bit towards the right side of my car. How can this be adjusted? Just loosen the LCA bolts and shift it?
Is your car lowered?
I think an ajustable PHB should fix it.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I decided to finally get an alignment today since the outside of my left tire was wearing pretty bad. The initial numbers were surprising:

Caster: -0.5/-1.0
Camber: 3.6/4.2
Toe: -0.06/-0.06

Is this much positive camber normal from the factory? He said our cars didn't have a camber adjustment so I was just surprised how much positive there was. After numbers were as follows:

Camber: -0.1/-0.3
Caster: 3.0/3.7
Toe: 0.00/0.01

So I'm still stumped as to why the outside of my left front tire is wearing, because by my numbers it looks like the right side should wear more if anything. Who knows.

Either you got those first set of numbers backwards or you had one screwed up front end. Something had to be bent to get that much positive camber.

But the tech saying this

He said our cars didn't have a camber adjustment
tells me you need to find another shop.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Either you got those first set of numbers backwards or you had one screwed up front end. Something had to be bent to get that much positive camber.

But the tech saying this

tells me you need to find another shop.
Oops, yeah I mixed up those 1st numbers! And he said our cars didn't have caster adjustment, not camber.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:41 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have both camber and castor adjustments; get another shop. And a lowered car will be able to achieve more neg camber. I was able to get -1.7 camber after lowering my car two inches. Now I have -2.5 camber with my own "special" parts . . .
Old 11-25-2004, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another thing, is .7 between the left and right too much of a caster difference? Should they be equal or closer to equal? He told me .75 was optimal but I was confused on why you'd want different values.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

camber: -1.6'
caster: +4.5'
toe: 1/32"
the measurements are with me on the driver seat.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:28 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Another thing, is .7 between the left and right too much of a caster difference? Should they be equal or closer to equal? He told me .75 was optimal but I was confused on why you'd want different values.
I dont know what the optimal numbers are but the left and right sides of the car are often setup slightly different from the factory to compensate for crowned roads (the center of the road is raised so water runs to the sides for drainage).
Old 11-26-2004, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try to set up all my alignments with 0.5 degrees cross-caster. ANY car can have caster/camber/and toe adjustments made to the front, you just have to get creative sometimes. Here is my alignment on my personal car, alignment guys will tell you this is impossible on an older Chevelle/El Camino-

Quick Reply: What are your caster/camber numbers?