Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

No rear swaybar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005 | 08:33 AM
7 Second Club

Question No rear swaybar?

will driving a car with out a rear sway bar hurt any thing.... just daily driving... no track use..

tyler
Old 01-31-2005 | 07:21 PM
7 Second Club

ttt ttt
Old 01-31-2005 | 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tyler,
You won't hurt anything. Depending on what springs you have the car might actually even handle better. But generally the car will have a little more sway around the turns. Not life threatening or anything along those lines, just more body roll than lets say an equal car with a rear bar.

-Kevin-
Old 02-01-2005 | 08:55 PM
9 Second Club

WRONG!!! or at least in my case. i took off my BMR anti-roll bar to replace it with a stock before i put the car up for sale. unfortunately, i didn't have time to put the stock unit back on and figured i'd just go home and do it later. i got in 2 quick races on my way home and nearly crossed into oncoming traffic! first was from a light and i could feel the roll, especially when i started getting over 35, but there were train tracks and we backed out. made a turn at the next light, left on about a 25mph roll, and roll the car did, sway to be exact. the rear of the car never stopped swaying, even though the tires weren't spinning or sliding. but by the time we got to about 60 i had to get way out of it as the *** started sliding toward the pass. side enough to break the tires loose and pointed me towards the oncoming lanes. thankfully, the lane was empty because i got almost half way into it before i got the car under control. honestly, i've never been so frightened of my car and had to turn down a rematch. if i had gone to the right, i would have gone right in front of him and he probably couldn't have done a thing about it. so you're forwarned. i'm 30 and have been driving for a while. wrecking you car can happen very quickly. i don't see a reason for taking it off, so i'm not sure why you would consider it. but my recommendation is to either leave it on or get an aftermarket piece.

later,
Dave
Old 02-01-2005 | 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dave,
You must have drag springs or soft shocks in your car or something. The last time I had a car do that on me was my 1969 RA 4 GTO with skinnies and race tires. The roll on that thing would take almost half a lane at speeds. The tires would stay in between the lines and the body was rolling half way into the other lane. Scared the hell out of the passengers. But with that car I knew what to expect so it wasn't a surprise.

As for my Firehawk that I was talking about above I have Koni SA's all around with lowered 550 springs in the front, 225 springs in the rear. Front sway bar at 32 MM and soft compound 315's front and back. And this thing handles like a mother with no rear sway bar. Dead solid at speed.

-Kevin-
Old 02-02-2005 | 08:08 AM
7 Second Club

the only reason it is not on there is because BMR forgot to ship the bushings with it...so they should be in, in a few days... i just had my new 12bolt installed and the factory stuff wont fit... so i just have to wait for the bushings... i just wanted to make sure it wouldnt break nothing...

Thanks guys!

Tyler
Old 02-02-2005 | 04:54 PM
9 Second Club

well, no. it will not break anything so if you refrain from racing the car, you'll be fine. as far as my car goes, i had QA1-F's all around with whatever springs they first offered, and stock springs on the rear. the car wasn't real loose around town, but not nearly as stiff as a set of stock shocks and lowering springs. just becareful man, hate to see anything bad happen. to many f-bodies getting hit lately, or so it seems.

later,
Dave
Old 02-02-2005 | 06:10 PM
Teching In

When your hp is transferred to your rear wheels, it wants to rotate the rear. The sway bar helps prevent torque thus transferring more rotational energy into the wheels rather then loosing more of it to the natural twist it wants to do.

This is pronounced on higher traction/hp vehicles especially when the fronts lift. The car wants to lift, twist and steer to to the left dramatically, not a good thing. Normal driving, your not going to have a problem, just take it easy.

Many guys use air bags as an inexpensive band aid in addition to a stiffer sway bar. The best option is to choose a drag type sway bar that allows only parellel movement in the rear. Obviously, when your using such an extreme setup, there are negatives to this in oversteer for street applications.
Old 02-04-2005 | 02:15 PM
11 Second Club

Granny drive it and you should be fine.