Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New LCA's rear end not centered??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LCA's rear end not centered??

I just installed some new BMR LCA's on my 99 TA. The rearend is now set about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch to the left. Has this happened to anyone else?? If so how did you fix it? Noone else notices, but of course I do. When I installed the LCA's, I did the left side first so could that have had anything to do with it?? The left side was torqued first. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"To the left"?

As viewed from behind? If so, that is a PHB "problem" (an adjustable PHB will solve that one).
Old 02-13-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ Exactly. Get an adjustable panhard rod/bar. I have stock suspension/ride height, but still bought the adjustable PHR because even though I also have stock LCA's (that'll change soon), my rear end is shifted to the driver side by about 1". Now again, like you, I'm apparently the only one that notices it, but it's definitely there. Plus my car pulls to the left so I'm also gonna have alignment done before installing/adjusting the PHR.

But yes, get an adjustable PHR, and that will solve your rear end centering problem. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Launching!

I know this has been asked a thousand times, but no definative answer has ever been discovered. What Adjustable PHR should I get? I don't want to have the nuts backing off like I have heard the BMR's do. I also don't want rod ends (I don't like the noise and this car isn't enough of a track car to warrant it). Are there any ones with the nuts at the ends of the PHR, or are they all in the center??
Old 02-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Launching!

and yes to the drivers side. Again its about 1/2"-3/4" off
Old 02-14-2005, 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

Dang, I just put my BMR LCA's in too, and have no money left for another mod right now.

What will happen if I race "uncentered?" Pls also detail how you measured it, thanks. BTW I just noticed you have a stock rear......right?

12 bolt here, if that matters.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:47 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 5LiterBeater
I know this has been asked a thousand times, but no definative answer has ever been discovered. What Adjustable PHR should I get? I don't want to have the nuts backing off like I have heard the BMR's do. I also don't want rod ends (I don't like the noise and this car isn't enough of a track car to warrant it). Are there any ones with the nuts at the ends of the PHR, or are they all in the center??
I had a Spohn poly/poly adjustable panhard rod that had the adjustment offset to one side. I still have it laying around, but ditched it in favor of a BADZ panhard rod outfitted with QA1 rod ends. I liked the design better, and to me, the noise is negligible coming from it.

I really didn't like the design of the poly/poly, even with the offset adjustment, which is what prompted me to go towards the rod/rod. A good compromise IMO would be a G2 poly/rod panhard rod. That should make very little, if any noise. If it will make noise, it will be in a rough parking lot while you are driving around slow.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1ScrudeDude
Dang, I just put my BMR LCA's in too, and have no money left for another mod right now.

What will happen if I race "uncentered?" Pls also detail how you measured it, thanks. BTW I just noticed you have a stock rear......right?

12 bolt here, if that matters.
First of all, measure your rear end to see if it is even off center. Just stick a tape measure on top of your rear tires, make sure it is flat, and press it against the wheel well. Then find something straight that you can place vertically against the tire. See what the measurement is on each side. They should be about the same. If it isn't, then you'll have to adjust.

There really is nothing bad about driving it uncentered. It certainly isn't ideal, and basically your car will crab down the road, but I would highly doubt you would notice it under normal driving conditions. If you race it, who knows...it might have an impact, and it might not. Depends on how hard you push your car.

Quick Reply: New LCA's rear end not centered??