Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Looking into Wilwood kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Looking into Wilwood kit

I have been looking at aftermarket brake kits for my car (02 WS6) for a while now. I have a few questions. In the install directions for the front Wilwood kit it says you need to measure your wheels to check for clearance. Have any of you had any issues? I am running 18" Fikse Profil 5S wheels. I am pretty sure they will clear if the stock 17" wheels do. Is the Wilwood kit good? What about squeaking and dust? If I go aftermarket I want a front and rear kit. I believe Wilwood is the only one offering that. Is that correct? This would be mainly an appearance mod. I haven't ever taken my car to a road course. Although I may in the near future. Is there a better option? I don't want to run the Corvette calipers. TIA
Old 02-23-2005, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRASH 02
I have been looking at aftermarket brake kits for my car (02 WS6) for a while now. I have a few questions. In the install directions for the front Wilwood kit it says you need to measure your wheels to check for clearance. Have any of you had any issues? I am running 18" Fikse Profil 5S wheels. I am pretty sure they will clear if the stock 17" wheels do. Is the Wilwood kit good? What about squeaking and dust? If I go aftermarket I want a front and rear kit. I believe Wilwood is the only one offering that. Is that correct? This would be mainly an appearance mod. I haven't ever taken my car to a road course. Although I may in the near future. Is there a better option? I don't want to run the Corvette calipers. TIA
i am not talking from experience, but from what i heard, the wilwood is a good economical substitute to baers and other high end kits. ive seen some guys swear by running just rotors, pads and new lines, and ive also seen some guys settle for no less then $3000 brake kits. its all personal preference. i know im not really answering the question very well, just trying to share what little knowledge i have. i hope it helps. hopefully someone knowledgable will jump in and help.

jacob
Old 02-23-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by qwikz28
i am not talking from experience, but from what i heard, the wilwood is a good economical substitute to baers and other high end kits. ive seen some guys swear by running just rotors, pads and new lines, and ive also seen some guys settle for no less then $3000 brake kits. its all personal preference. i know im not really answering the question very well, just trying to share what little knowledge i have. i hope it helps. hopefully someone knowledgable will jump in and help.

jacob
Yeah, I'm one of those guys that has to have the $3000 Baer brake system. Thank god for Ebay.

I had the Wilwood kit for about a year (until I got the Baer system), and I liked it. I couldn't argue with the price, either. Much better than the stock setup, but the Polymatrix pads they include suck ***. They weren't noisey, just dusty as hell. My wheels were black after one drive to work. I switched to Hawk HPS pads and had a lot less dust, and more brake power to boot. I would get the Hawk pads with the kit if you decide to buy it.

If it's mainly going to be for appearance, check out PBC's website.

They have front and rear kits with up to 14" rotors (they'll fit in your 18" wheels), and they do custom stuff, like different rotor options and caliper powdercoating/polishing. Good prices too. I picked up my Wilwood setup from them.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

tooslow- if you dont mind me asking... how much did you get those baers for on ebay?
Old 02-24-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by qwikz28
tooslow- if you dont mind me asking... how much did you get those baers for on ebay?
I think it was 500 plus shipping.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TooSlow02
I think it was 500 plus shipping.
im goin on ebay right now and looking for that kit!
Old 02-24-2005, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

None on EBAY. I looked this morning. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CRASH 02
None on EBAY. I looked this morning. Thanks for the info.
ditto, i found a baer kit for like 1200 but thats still alot for only front brakes. im gonna keep lookng though.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wilwood is GREAT I have there 6 piston billet cross drilled and sloted front kit with SS lines. And Bear rear rotors cross drilled/sloted looks the same.

And the brakes where so good I needed to redone my suspension. Realy low car and Hals so on hard braking the noise(air dam) would eat the ground.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have wilwoods on the front, real good brakes but like tooslow02 says i too have polymatrics pads, they are way to dusty, my 17s need cleaning after every decent run. Those Hawk HPS pads sound ok.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wilwood makes many different pads! I have the D pads in there now I think, It has been along time. At light (ride the brakes, street driving) they make a griding sound. But push the pedal harder and you are stoping hard.

Makes the 3point harness worth it under hard stops.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2FAST4U
Wilwood makes many different pads! I have the D pads in there now I think, It has been along time. At light (ride the brakes, street driving) they make a griding sound. But push the pedal harder and you are stoping hard.

Makes the 3point harness worth it under hard stops.
I had the D pad also. It worked fine, but I couldn't take the dust. Almost all aggressive pads will create more dust than a more tame street pad, but that amount of crap I would get on my wheels was obscene. EBC says their Greenstuff and Redstuff pads create almost zero dust and have high friction coefficients, so I might try those. I have heard some bad experiences with them, though. I have SBS Touring pads right now and they're pretty dusty also, but I like the way they stop the car.

I got really lucky with my brake kit. I picked it up from someone who upgraded to the Extreme+ six-piston system and had the Pro four-piston system just laying around.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

i loved my hawk pads too! but i never tried anything else other then stock
Old 02-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Launching!

will the Big R wilwood brake kit fit clear Fikse 17" mag wheels?
Old 02-24-2012, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my Wilwoods brand new, paid about 1800 at the time, the Superlight 6-piston calipers with the 2-pc slotted rotors and man, what a difference!

Now I don't know if it's a Wilwood issue but my rotors warped and I had to resurface them, and by doing the resurfacins it just about removed the slots that were on there.

I figure that the warpage was due to me driving my car REAL HARD in the twisties, at one time I spent at least a weekend a month going up to Big Bear or Angeles Crest and driving the **** out of my car, so I cannot complain with my warped rotors AND I didn't even knew that the rotors warped until I had the pads replaced after 18 months of hard driving.

new rotors will run me about 425 including hardware.

The point?
I just wanted to let you know the upkeep on these puppies. I've had them for at least 5 years and I must say that even now, these are pretty damn good brakes for the money, they can stop so hard it's downright scary how quickly they stop/slow down!

I was driving rather spiritedly down the I5 south, merged into the 91E and the lane I was on merged into another lane with no warning arrows or anything, and was going to get sandwiched in between 2 SUV's who had no idea I was there and hit the brakes slowed from 75 to 40 in less than about a second **** that was fast, Wifey screamed

Very good brakes.

Are they the best? probably not but they're pretty ******* good and WAY better than factory brakes IMHO.

It's pretty fun out-braking other care in the turns, the other owners thought I had a heavily modified engine thinking my car was faster than theirs, they didn't realize I was just out-braking them.

Biggest story was about 3 years ago I went on a cruise somewhere in Riverside county where I met up with a few guys and a nice couple who were both driving their own C6's, the guy had a SOM Z06 and his gf had a blue C6, this gal knows how to drive, she actually races her Hayabusa in Willow Springs so she has great skills!

Anyway, we all took off, the guy in the Z06 basically disappeared, his gf was in front of me and about 5 other f-bodies, the C6 and I pulled away from the others and bottomline she couldn't get rid of me, I had no problem following her, was actually able to outbrake her in every corner so whenever there was a straightaway she would pull away and I would always end up catching her by out-braking her in every turn.

Obviously my suspension setup helped as well, she couldn't believe that she could not shake me off of her tail, but I'm tellin you, the Wilwoods kicked ***!

Other than my Koni's, the Wilwoods made a HUGE difference in my cars performance in the twisties.

Initially I had the Porterfield pads, R4S's I think, heavy brake dust but great stoppage.

I'm currently running the Hawk pads, got them from Sam, again, great stoppage and I don't care about the dust, that's what you get with great pads with great stopping properties.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS2Ttype
will the Big R wilwood brake kit fit clear Fikse 17" mag wheels?

If you call Wilwood directly they have a template which has a side profile of their rotors, you cut it out and paste it on a piece of cardboard and you have to take off one of your front wheels and you put the template perpendicular to your wheel and you can see for yourself if your wheels will work with them or not.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:35 PM
Launching!

i have willwoods on my 99 ss. the brakes are amazing. very low dust and fit fine in my 17 inch zr1 rims. o and the look sick
Old 02-27-2012, 07:05 AM
FormerVendor

If You would like a good deal on Wilwood brakes, We are a dealer and would like Your business.

Carl
Old 02-27-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

Do they fit on stock 17" ws6 rims?
Old 03-02-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Carl at CRP
If You would like a good deal on Wilwood brakes, We are a dealer and would like Your business.

Carl
how much for the rear kit with the ebrake?

Quick Reply: Looking into Wilwood kit