Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

those with sfc's, did they help stop any squeaks and rattles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry those with sfc's, did they help stop any squeaks and rattles?

Im so sick of these rattle traps! Ive owned 1 3rd gen and two 4th gen. If i could afford something better like a vette or a gto I would. Im stuck with this for a while. The bad thing is I dont race my cars. I just enjoy the feel of a sports car. My current is a 99 t/a Ive had for 4 years. The main strip of road I drive everyday is horrible and badly needs repaving. But the least little bump in the road and the thing soundds like its falling apart.

any suggestions in stopping the rattles?

thanks!
Old 11-18-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, they will stiffen up your chassis and help get rid of the squeaks. SFC's should be one of the first mods you do.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree,followed closely by a Strut tower brace.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Subframe connecter and strut tower brace are a must on these cars.

I got the strut tower brace first then the subframe connecters and each one made a great difference. I recommend both and add one at a time so you can see how much off a difference they make. If not then go ahead and put on both at the same time and you won't belive how better you car handles and the feed back at the steerring wheel. They are a must have.....and yes, they did help on the squeeks and rattles.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:48 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Mine is still doing pretty good @ 136K miles.
I put the SFCs and STB on fairly early, though.
Now if I could keep the exhaust from
rattling down my driveway.....
Old 11-20-2005, 07:23 PM
12 Second Club

My SFC's did wonders for the noises coming from my car. You'd be amazed if you saw the roads around here. I don't have a STB yet though.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got another one after you install those throw some metal (music not actual metal) in the cd player and you cant hear ****.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:44 AM
Teching In

Default I agree

Nothin that crankin up the stereo can't cure, I AGREE!!
Old 11-23-2005, 01:52 AM
On The Tree

I'm with everyone, SFC's & a STB are a must on our cars. You wouldn't believe the rattles they cut down on, and you probably won't really even notice the difference the day you get them installed.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redsscamaroboy
I agree,followed closely by a Strut tower brace.
4th gen Camaros don't have struts. A strut tower brace, especially a 2-pt one, will do little to nothing for rigidity in 4th gens. I am not so sold on SFC getting rid of the rattles either. It believe it is more of a build quality issue than a chassis rigidity issue. Neither of my Camaros, one with 90,000 miles and the other with 110,000 miles, have significant rattle problems, and neither have SFCs.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, SFC's will cut down on noises and make the car feel more solid. Shock tower braces are a waste of money (my own personal experience).
Old 11-23-2005, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Depending on how old your vehicle is and what it has been through, try to check your shocks. If you've replaced your shocks with higher quality ones (bilstein or Koni's), then check all of your mounts and bushings, then replace as needed. Once you've gone over those two, then check your interior items and see if they're bolted down/fastened correctly.

SFC's can only improve chassis stiffness, and the ones that will really benefit from it are the convertibles, not hard tops, and not most T-tops (I know since I have T-top, and it doesn't rattle).

If you're adding a STB for turn-in stability and notice an improvement while still equipped with stock sway bars, then your problem lies with the sway bars. Just an improvement with sway bar diameter is good enough because STB's are only useful with front strut mounted systems, not the 4th gen SLA system.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

sfc are a must no matter what the mileage of the car, yes there are other things that can make noises, but overall they are one of the best investments for a f-body.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With 30,000 miles on our WS.6, we put on some SLP Bolt ons and couldnt believe the difference. It feels soo much better, and even rides better on the sportlines.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry guys, I just don't buy that.

My 99 Z28 is about 120K now, has been thrashed on the track, has 650 front/225 rear spring rates with properly valved shocks, and has approximately 400 rwhp. Not to mention, that I run some sticky shoes. I've had two and three point SFC's, both welded on and cut off at several mileage intervals. No difference in NVH from installing them and removing them.

As far as a 3rd gen, yes, they do need both SFC's and STB's, but the 4th Gen chassis is a lot stronger than the consensus thinks. At least two of the experienced AXer's on this board can agree with what I mention, not because they think so, but from their experience.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Foxxton

My 99 Z28 is about 120K now, has been thrashed on the track, has 650 front/225 rear spring rates with properly valved shocks, and has approximately 400 rwhp. Not to mention, that I run some sticky shoes. I've had two and three point SFC's, both welded on and cut off at several mileage intervals. No difference in NVH from installing them and removing them.

As far as a 3rd gen, yes, they do need both SFC's and STB's, but the 4th Gen chassis is a lot stronger than the consensus thinks. At least two of the experienced AXer's on this board can agree with what I mention, not because they think so, but from their experience.
Listen to this man. Stock decarbons are so terrible that the chassis ends up absorbing alot of the shock. Subframes can help a little with that but why not just get decent shocks and save the weight for some big sway bars or better yet get some hollow ones like strano sells.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:42 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I'm basically with Foxxton and CamdLS1. My SFC's did noticeably stiffen the chassis and cut down on body flex in hard cornering. But they also caused increased transmission of road irregularities into the cabin - a harsher ride. Rattles are about the same - although I haven't noticed the dreaded intermittent A4 console tapping since I installed them. Hmmmm ...
Old 11-25-2005, 01:30 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxxton

Foxxton, I've typed that so many times I'm ready to give up and just let them bolt more dead weight onto their cars. After all, the added business does stimulate the economy!

I'll just add this: 4th gen fbodys were designed from the start to be convertables, so if you don't have a convertable, the chassis is overbuilt to start with.

Search button guys. This has been covered as many times as "what cam should I buy."
Old 11-25-2005, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cal
Foxxton, I've typed that so many times I'm ready to give up and just let them bolt more dead weight onto their cars. After all, the added business does stimulate the economy!

I'll just add this: 4th gen fbodys were designed from the start to be convertables, so if you don't have a convertable, the chassis is overbuilt to start with.

Search button guys. This has been covered as many times as "what cam should I buy."
Yes sir, 'nuff sed from me. Gotta back the steel manufacturers in their hard times, so I think I'll buy some more as well.

I guess I should spend more time at that "other forum board " owned and operated by that "other" expert LS1Tech.com member.

Their members at least have a better meaning of the word "search."
Old 11-25-2005, 02:39 AM
11 Second Club

I know when I put the subrames on my T/A it tightend it up alot. It cut the rattles down a little bit, but I slapped them on with over 70K miles on the clock. When I put the strut tower brace on I noticed a big steering response and could take turns faster with it install. It just felt better. I have over 102,000 miles on it now and I still love the STB and subframes.

Quick Reply: those with sfc's, did they help stop any squeaks and rattles?