Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My comparison between my GM 1LE LCAs and factory rear LCAs (pics inside) & questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My comparison of my GM rear 1LE LCAs & my factory rear LCAs (pics inside) & questions

I just had my factory rear control arms replaced with GM's factory 1LE control arms. The 1LE LCAs were purchased new from Dal Slabaugh@ vandevere.com and were part number 10164151. They were priced at $67.32 each and freight was $10.28 for NJ. I had thought of maybe just buying the Moog 1LE-type bushings and using them to replace my factory LCA bushings, but that would probably add more labor time and, in the end, would still cost the same as buying brand-new factory 1LE LCAs. I had wanted to stay with rubber bushings to avoid any binding issues, coldflow, and occasional greasing that are associated with polyurethane bushings; and the possible increase in NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness), graphite greasing, and short lifespan associated with rod-ends. Installation was $65 (including the 1LE panhard rod installation) at TT Performance in Clifton, NJ.

On the 1LE rear control arms bushings, were the following:

HARRIS
B68
FG

1LE LCAs

I inspected the factory rear control arms once they were removed and noticed that the factory bushings had "spacers" unlike the 1LE control arm bushings that were solid. On the factory rear control arm bushings, were the following:

BLACK
PINK

factory LCAs

Why would the bushing designs be different? Would one design have an advantage over the other? Thanks in advance for the info.

Just for the hell of it and since the part and installation were inexpensive, I had also purchased an SLP 1LE panhard rod from lmperformance.com. The SLP 1LE panhard rod (SLP part number 70401) was $26.96 and $20 shipping (direct from SLP). The installation was included in the $65 installation. The SLP 1LE panhard rod bushing design was identical to the factory panhard rod bushing design. On the 1LE panhard rod bushing, were the following:

CLEVITE SILENTBLOC
FG

1LE panhard rod

There was also an orange marker-slash on the top of the 1LE panhard rod (not pictured).

On one bushing end of the factory panhard rod, were the following:

CLEVITE SILENTBLOC
FG

On the other bushing end was the same as above except that 96 and 62296 was, instead, 98 and 62292.

factory panhard rod

Both panhard rods were so identical that I'm not even sure if I got the 1LE panhard rod. All I can do is go by the vendor(s)' product description.

After the installation of the 1LE suspension components, I noticed that there was no increase in NVH. I drive like an old lady so I couldn't tell if my handling improved. Hopefully, the rear 1LE LCAs will improve my 60 foot times this February when Atco Raceway reopens. If not, then I can always use Nitto 555Rs for the rear.

Last edited by damon_Z; 12-18-2005 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts

Which is why I just sell the Moog rear LCA bushings. The are made by Harris and have all the same numbers. They are 1LE bushings, and all four are $52 vs. the $134+ you paid for the same bushings in the very same control arm the car comes with. And it's doens't take more than about 10 minutes to press the new bushings into the old arms.

As for the PHB... I've never, ever sold a "1LE" PHB. my 2001 Z28 had the very same bar and from what I can tell with a durometer the same hardness bushings as my '91 1LE had. It's not really different, yet folks continually buy them. I understand you might not know this, but once you see it I'd return the parts instead of installing them and move on to something better if you see fit.

The non solid bushings are that way for flexibility and ride comfort. They also allow bushing windup, which is why better bushings can help with axle hop. But because they are stiffer and less flexible, the ride will change a bit and the rear roll stiffness will also increase a touch too.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-18-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hi Sam, not to hijack, but since I will order some upper a-arm moog bushings from you, I'd like to know if there is any special tools needed to press the upper a-arm bushings in.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Which is why I just sell the Moog rear LCA bushings. The are made by Harris and have all the same numbers. They are 1LE bushings, and all four are $52 vs. the $134+ you paid for the same bushings in the very same control arm the car comes with. And it's doens't take more than about 10 minutes to press the new bushings into the old arms.

As for the PHB... I've never, ever sold a "1LE" PHB. my 2001 Z28 had the very same bar and from what I can tell with a durometer the same hardness bushings as my '91 1LE had. It's not really different, yet folks continually buy them. I understand you might not know this, but once you see it I'd return the parts instead of installing them and move on to something better if you see fit.

The non solid bushings are that way for flexibility and ride comfort. They also allow bushing windup, which is why better bushings can help with axle hop. But because they are stiffer and less flexible, the ride will change a bit and the rear roll stiffness will also increase a touch too.
Thanks for the info, Sam. I kept my original factory LCAs and, once my current 1LE bushings deteriorate in several years, I'll probably buy a set of Moog LCA bushings from you and just get a NAPA auto parts store to press them in my original factory LCAs. Yeah, and no more 1LE panhard rods for me. I'll probably end up just buying a complete Moog bushing set from you.

Oh, and I'm looking forward to giving you some business by buying your recommended Bilstein HDs for my factory springs in a few months.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As near as I can tell the 1LE stampings are the same and
only the rubber differs. I took the 1LE bushings out of a
set I bought used, and swapped them into a set of boxed
non-1LE arms (ditto) and got some stout like unbreakable
(no stressed welds) arms.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 1896 IROC panhard bushings appear to be the same as the 1LE listed above.
It has this on the bushings:
26 CLEVITE SILENTBLOC 62292 FG

I'd venture the 26 is the part cavity number. 62292 is the Clevite part No.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol half a decade old thread! good first post
Old 04-24-2015, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I'm reading this old *** thread too, I'll chime in too. I just bought some new bushings and I'm about to put them in. Some interesting info in this thread

Quick Reply: My comparison between my GM 1LE LCAs and factory rear LCAs (pics inside) & questions