Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Are the SS shocks as bad as the stock z28 shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Are the SS shocks as bad as the stock z28 shocks?

I'm picking up today a 2002 SS vert with low miles that has been lowered with Eibach sportlines. Based upon some research here, I'm almost certain that I'll need to put the stock SS springs back in to deal with speed bumps and pot holes that are fact of life for a daily driver. I've seen plenty of posts here suggesting that the stock Z28 shocks suck, but I wasn't sure if that applied to an SS too.

So the question is, When I swap springs, do I leave the shocks alone or put new ones in? The car will have maybe 5k miles on it with the Sportlines and 15k total miles.

For 6 years I had a 1999 z28 vert with a stock springs/struts and while I didn't it was the greatest handling car, it rode fine. I tend to push the car harder in a straightline than I do in turns, but some of that is a function of my Z28's middling handling and some was a function of a drag racing focus for my mods on that car. I've driven regular SS cars and I don't want a ride that will transmitt much more bumps and road imperfections then a normal SS. This vert will be used as a daily driver and will have some performance (i.e. HP) mods and SFC and a Strut bar.

Suggestions are welcome.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Does the SS come with the Decarbon shocks? I know that if you get lowering springs, you have to have the correct shocks to compensate for the rate. Any SS owners care to chime in?
Old 01-06-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The normal* SS shocks are the same as the z28 shocks... however... there were a good number of them that were optioned with bilsteins and even koni's... You can usually tell just by what color they are... If they're orange, they're probably stockers.. If they're yellow, or red, you're a lucky one.

Even with stock springs, you can still benefit both in ride and handling from better shocks.. Bilsteins are good for stock springs. Koni's are great for stock springs and are up to the task of stiffer springs as well..
Old 01-06-2006, 04:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine came with orange DeCarbons. They were fine when I took
them off for SLP Bilsteins & Hotchkiss springs. That was a bit
too harsh for me, as well as the rear looked a bit low so I
went to Gabriel air shocks and most recently took out the
Hotchkiss rears for stockers w/ heater hose. Kept the SLP
Bilstein fronts + Hotchkiss, it's the rear end getting kicked up
that made the ride suffer most. I have left the air shocks
without air since going back to the stock springs, but it's
nice for if I was to put a couple hundred pounds of luggage
or something.

Depending on your bump tolerance there may be such a
thing as too stiff a shock. I'm happier without the Bilstein
rears. I liked the ride feel with the DeCarbons. But I didn't
drive on them long enough to wear them out.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

DeCarbons new here too. Went with Revalved Bilsteins when I installed Hotchkis springs. I'm very impressed with the ride quality, not much different from the stock ride, Sam had them set up for mostly street use.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

I have SLP Bilsteins and SLP Eibachs, and I'm happy with the car's handling, but I have that harshness in the back with the rear "getting kicked up" as Jimmy said. Even though everyone trashes DeCarbons, it was a much more comfortable ride than I have now. I'm willing to put up with the harshness, but if you want a comfortable daily driver, my Bilstein/ Eibach combo is definitely not the ticket, FWIW.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:36 AM
roy
TECH Resident

The Decarbons That came on certain model SS that had 360lb springs in the front are valved entirely different than standard z28 or v6 shocks. This is the 1LE DeCarbon it is a pretty good shock for the 360 lb 1LEspring . but it could be better. It is better than a heavy duty Bilstein. A off the shelf heavy duty Bilstein does not handle 1LE spring well.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

I ask because the SS package says it includes "...stiffer springs, unique shock valving..." which implies it is not stock. The sticker does not list the extra cost bilstein package.

I appreciate the input, but most of the answers missed the mark. I'm not planning to run springs other than what came with the SS. If I put the stock SS springs back in, do I keep the SS shocks or is their a low cost upgrade that makes a difference w/o ruining the ride.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:19 AM
roy
TECH Resident

So the question is, When I swap springs, do I leave the shocks alone or put new ones in? The car will have maybe 5k miles on it with the Sportlines and 15k total miles.
Leave the stock shocks unless you suspect a problem with them. If you do order some revalved Bilsteins for the SS spring rate or get some SA Konis.

Did that peel back the onion enough for you?
Old 01-08-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks Roy. you and old school were the only one that even got close the first time. I just wasn't sure if the 1LE spring was the same as the standard SS spring.

The stock shocks are low mileage. The only reason there might be a problem is if they suffer damage from being compressed for a couple months by the Eibach Sportlines. The ride is certainly floaty like a 70s cadillac with the current set-up.

Quick Reply: Are the SS shocks as bad as the stock z28 shocks?