Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brakes feel soft

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question brakes feel soft

My brakes are feeling really mushy. I have to push them to the floor to get the car to stop. If I pump them it does not seem to help, so I do not think it is a problem that would be fixed by bleeding, and it seems to have plenty of fluid. I also hear a swishing sound as well when I push the pedal.. Any ideas?
Old 04-21-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried bleeding them? Mine are kinda the same right now. Imma bleed them sumtime this weekend. After that then you would have to make sure there is no leaks anywhere. Then make sure your pads are good.
Still got trouble.....take it in for a close inspection.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

I have not tired to bleed them, since pumping the pedal did not work.. After closer inspection I saw cracks in my front rotors, so I may go ahead and change those out and throw some news pads on as well and bleed them and see how that works.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

that sound you are hearing maybe air in your brake system. Bleed the complete system. Start with the right rear then the left rear then the right front and finally the left front. If that does not fix the problem then the sound maybe blowby of the piston seals in your master cylinder. Replacing the master is the only way to fix that and of course the bleeding will have to be done again. Good luck
Old 04-24-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mbraun
that sound you are hearing maybe air in your brake system. Bleed the complete system. Start with the right rear then the left rear then the right front and finally the left front. If that does not fix the problem then the sound maybe blowby of the piston seals in your master cylinder. Replacing the master is the only way to fix that and of course the bleeding will have to be done again. Good luck
Thanks, Any ideas on the cost of a new mater cylinder?
Old 05-11-2006, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

Okay I just replaced the front rotors pads and a new Master cylinder. I bench bled the new master cylinder, and then bled the whole system once the new MC was on. The car seems to stop okay now, but I still hear that swishing noise when I push the pedal in.. It is a constant swishing noise. like pressurized air is escaping from somewhere. Any ideas where that noise is coming from? Could it be the brake booster doing it?
Old 05-13-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone?
Old 05-13-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, I would check the vaccuum lines around the brake booster.

-Mike

Quick Reply: brakes feel soft