Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Question on 1LE Suspension Package

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 07:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on 1LE Suspension Package

Anyone know for sure what size of 1LE bars this includes? I thought there was some variation in the diameter of the bars between years.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...r=PK1LESTABKIT

Also, does anyone know for sure what size bars I have on my car now? I'm thinking their 28/19 but I'm not sure. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

www.1le.net

then select part #'s over at the LHS frame.

It should be pretty accurate.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

What I posted is just a full package of both 1LE sway bars, but it doesn't list any of the individual part numbers so I can't compare it to what numbers are on that site. Also the site lists that there were different size bars in 01-02, but no part numbers. I might try calling GMpartsdirect, but I doubt they'll have any idea what size they are.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

In detail:

94-2000: 32mm hollow front, 19mm solid rear. Your vehicle should have this combination, which regular Z28's of the same period should have a 30mm hollow front, 19mm solid rear. Just in case, you can use a measuring caliper in order to determine the diameter of both front and rear swaybars.

2001-2002 (1LE only): 35mm hollow front, 21mm solid rear. As noted, only 1LE's of those two years were opted from the factory with this stabiliser bar combo.

FWIW, since you should already have the 32mm hollow front and the 19mm solid rear, a feasible option would be to opt for the Stranoparts/Addco 35mm front/22mm rear, both hollow.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

Crap, the front on my car is hollow? That thing weighs a ton for being hollow. I'll probably check what size I have before purchasing anything.

What is going to be the primary difference between the 01+ 1LE setup vs. the Strano? I'm assuming the listed package on the GM site is for the 01+ setup, and it includes new endlinks/bushings for $150 less than the Strano. I realize there will be a bit of weight savings in the rear with the hollow of the Strano but other than that will there be a noticeable difference?

I've had the 1LE recommended to me as the most cost effective option, and the same person thought of the Strano setup as a bit more autocross specific as compared to the 1LE. I primarily autocross now, but will be doing some open tracking in the future so I want something that will work for both.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

well,

Even though the 1LE fronts (32 and 35 possibly) are hollow, they're still quite heavy AFA I experienced. It is advised to check the size before ordering.

AFA the price is concerned, I personally feel you can't go wrong with either the "SLP" 1LE 2001-2002 swaybars (35 front hollow/21 rear solid) or the Stranoparts/Addco either (35 front/22 hollow both hollow). They're pretty darn close AFA what they can do to improve the sway, it's just that Sam Strano's rear bar is hollow, saving weight while offering the same stiffness as the solid 21 (or pretty darn close).

AFA what's on the gmpartsdirect website, you definitely should call and gather much more info before you accidentally order parts that you already have. I believe that it's already parts that you have since they list them for a broad range of years and also since they're listed as GM parts. Even though the 2001-2002 1LE was offered as an RPO as well, the parts are actually SLP parts that are included, as opposed to GM parts.

FWIW, I would concentrate more on acutal swaybar diameters, rather than the brand and make. When I did use a the standard 30/19 combo, it did okay for a while, even when I was on Koni's, and the 32/19 made a slight improvement, however I have taken quite a liking to a 35/22 combo I have now. Combined with stock spring rates and Koni's (I had DA's once, but left the compression on it's softest setting), I was able to maintain enough lateral grip while not swaying so much in turns. I do AX and open track with these bars.

Lastly, I don't blame the person who recommended the 1LE bars, since that factory package is quite hard to improve on. Once again, if I had to change somethings about the earlier packages, I would include the 35/21 swaybars and equip the vehicle with Koni SA's instead of DA's.

BTW, AFA what the Strano bars are concerned, I believe that he does open track quite often with the same bars, but I'll let him speak for himself on that.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is almost certain that the parts you are looking at are the 32mm hollow front and 19mm hollow rear. As said above GM did not make a 01+ 1LE, SLP did the conversion with their own parts( 35mm f, 22mm r) Alost the 98 and 99 SS camaros got the 32mmf and 19mm r bar, as did some 2000's. Mid year they switched and the SS got the base Z28 suspension unless a SLP option was chosen. The SLP 01+ parts were not avail thru GM performance parts.
Go with the Strano stuff, I have been thru a ton of combo's and are happy with the 35mm hollow from sam.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:11 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

"Upgrade your 93-02 Camaro to 1LE specifications and handling. This kit includes the following 1LE GM parts"

To begin with there are THREE "1LE specifications", not just one. And they don't tell you which it is. And FWIW, your cars is an SS so has the '94-99 "1LE specification" bars on it from the factory.

Maybe you don't want to spend $150 more on my bars than those. But my bars are not only different and build for handling balance above all, but are lighter and have much better endlinks too. And they way I see it you aren't spending $150 more on my bars, but rather you aren't spending $200+ on the very same bars you already have.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-01-2006, 12:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
"Upgrade your 93-02 Camaro to 1LE specifications and handling. This kit includes the following 1LE GM parts"

To begin with there are THREE "1LE specifications", not just one. And they don't tell you which it is. And FWIW, your cars is an SS so has the '94-99 "1LE specification" bars on it from the factory.

Maybe you don't want to spend $150 more on my bars than those. But my bars are not only different and build for handling balance above all, but are lighter and have much better endlinks too. And they way I see it you aren't spending $150 more on my bars, but rather you aren't spending $200+ on the very same bars you already have.
Ok, so actually upgrading my sways the GM way would only mean getting the newer 01-02 sways, which I can only probably buy from SLP. Sam, I didn't know your package came with endlinks, does it include new bushings as well? I thought yours was just the bars which was why I was considering the GM package. Also, do you have an email I can contact you with some more specific questions?

Nevermind, I found your email on the site.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ru2n00n3er
Ok, so actually upgrading my sways the GM way would only mean getting the newer 01-02 sways, which I can only probably buy from SLP. Sam, I didn't know your package came with endlinks, does it include new bushings as well? I thought yours was just the bars which was why I was considering the GM package. Also, do you have an email I can contact you with some more specific questions?

Nevermind, I found your email on the site.
CALL ME!!!!!!!! PLEASE. Relying on e-mail and internet information is what got you to all these mis-understandings in the first place.

How could you know my bars came with endlinks, etc. without asking? I could spend all my time working on my site, which would leave me NO time to actually interact with customers.

I'm an SLP dealer so if you want their hollow 35/solid 21 combo, I'll sell it to you. But you'll spend as much money on that as you will for my bars which are BOTH hollow and have much better endlinks as well.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Not to hijack the thread, but if I have an 01 WS6 without the 1LE door code... am I sitting on the 32/19 sways, or what?
Old 05-01-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

The Strano combo (35mm/22mm front/rear hollow) is awesome. My set came with poly bushings, and I believe the material used to make the endlinks/U-brackets are grade 8 material (correct me if I'm wrong).
Old 05-01-2006, 01:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by jhanson999
Not to hijack the thread, but if I have an 01 WS6 without the 1LE door code... am I sitting on the 32/19 sways, or what?
32/19.... ALL SS's and WS6's are 32/19 unless they have alternate packages that upgrade the bars. All Z28's and Formula's have 19 rears (same as '94-99 1LE's).
Old 05-02-2006, 03:23 PM
12 Second Club

Ok so I measured mine today. I've got a 35 front and 21 rear, so I'm not quite sure what that means? I have the SLP optioned Bilstein suspension package on my car, but I thought that only upgraded the shocks. Would that package have upgraded the sways as well?
Old 05-02-2006, 04:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You have the Ultra suspsension, not the Level 1. This is why one should never assume. you have good bars, and buying others (mine included) would have been a waste of money. And it would have been a DOWNGRADE for you to have bought those bars from GMpartsdirect.

Now that you know you have good bars, you need to quantify what you want to improve. I'm not a huge fan of the pretty soft SLP Bilstein's, or even the springs. But if you were to change just one, the shocks would DEFINITELY be the thing to do. You'd generate roll and pitch more slowly, make the car feel a lot more solid/tied down/planted, and be able to tune the car into what just what you like by adjusting the rebound of the shocks. Something you can't do now, and rebound control is not exactly abundant in the SLP shocks.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:40 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, I have the SLP paper from my car and it lists it as having the "Bilstein Ultra Performance Suspension Package". I didn't realize the package upgraded the bars, it's a good thing I checked.

Quick Reply: Question on 1LE Suspension Package