Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Install front Koni's or pay shop?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Install front Koni's or pay shop?

I have installed the Konis on the rear. Debating whether to do fronts. Can get spring compressor tool from Advance. Is it too diffulcult for beginner mech? Don't really want to pay just to have shocks put on, and then pay again when Strano springs come in, but then again, I would like to get them on. Also, I don't want to kill myself. Always seem to be alot of questions and problems threads about them. Thoughts?
Old 08-03-2006, 12:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do them myself, but I also have an electric impact gun for running down the compressors. I imagine doing them by hand can't by all the fun. Even with the impact gun it takes me a couple hours to do; by hand may take a heck of a lot longer.

It's the age old time vs. money. Which is more important to you?

For a beginner, be very careful with the compressors. Never put your face over the top of the springs when compressing, have respect. If the compressors let loose and the spring hits you in the face, you could die. Seriously.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:51 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If I were you, I'd wait till you have the springs and then install the springs and shocks at once rather than doing it twice.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've done the swap on my car three times, and each time I remove the shock/spring assembly and take it to the shop to let the pros do it. One time it cost me $20, another it was about $60, and most recently it was $80. But the swap only took them about 30 minutes to do and it might have taken me multiple hours.
Safety first!
Old 08-03-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

I think I will just wait and do the springs and shocks together. Thanks guys.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm in the same spot. Got my rear konis on no prob. Went to attack the fronts w my crappy autozone rent a tool spring campressors and lost my nerve. Probly some trick to it I don't know, but it seemed like a real bear so I put it back together. I figure I gotta have it realigned anyway so I'm paying to have the fronts put on. I do have a friend who is a GM service tech and does side work cheap, though.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got my fronts put on for 60 bucks. Sears wanted 200
Old 08-05-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

I am considering have my new ones mounted for me. I have the stock assembly out of the car but the thought of that compressor giving way worries the hell out of me. My friend is also a GM tech so I think I will leave it up to him.

Quick Reply: Install front Koni's or pay shop?