Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

No more torque arm. G-force suspension setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 12:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heres a vid of a car with pete-z bars.... basically identical setup but uses a tad longer upper bar. I think we all know Ed Wright or at least heard of him. this is his first 9,95 pass with the new fast system. had a "bad" (compared to usual) 1.36 sixty on this run. He swears by them and I think this shows the lift theory might not be correct.

This is at our local TRP track.

http://www.fastchip.com/Ed-995.wmv
Old 12-15-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Resident

ohh yeah thats all motor, 383 lt1, stock head and intake castings(ported lt4's) Ed Wright tunning and a 4l60e leaving off the foot brake. This car is NASTY.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for posting that vid. That is one pissed off looking ta! And thanks to the other guys chiming in here. I wish I could be more help in the technical aspect of things. I've been a lifted truck guy most of my life, and just never cared about drag times before. I've only been doing car performance stuff a few years and have much catching up to do with some of the guys here.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice looking setup.......
Old 12-16-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

You could probably get by without a sway bar too. I looked in the link but where do you see them for sale sperate i can only find them with a coilover kit. after seeing 2 local lt1's with the z bars these are deffentily worth a shot.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:53 PM
10 Second Club

bump...

im about to order the ladder bar setup...... BUT....

concerns:

1. will it be able to handle around 850rwtq?
2. this is my street car. i take it to the track for fun (however i DO want to get the car to stick, and i do want the rear end planted). i do NOT want to take away from the drivability of the car on the street. how are the ladder bars cornering. im not talking road racing, just talking being playful on the turns, going through the twisties here and there.
3. how will the pinion angle be affected when one wheel is loaded and the other one is not?
4. does this interfere with over the axle catbacks?

im a little nervous just because i would think this idea would have taken off by now. i really want to simplify my suspension, and make it rock solid. appreciate any input
Old 12-17-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I recently checked out a well known chassis shop that builds Outlaw cars. The owner showed me his 8 second 95 Camaro to give me some ideas about a suspension setup. I asked about the Z bars and he immediately said it was a bad
idea for the street. He said the links are easy to break on the street due to the extreme stresses on them.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dave88z
I recently checked out a well known chassis shop that builds Outlaw cars. The owner showed me his 8 second 95 Camaro to give me some ideas about a suspension setup. I asked about the Z bars and he immediately said it was a bad
idea for the street. He said the links are easy to break on the street due to the extreme stresses on them.
Yeah because street driving is so more stressful than launching your car on slicks at the track.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by PowerShift408
Yeah because street driving is so more stressful than launching your car on slicks at the track.

hes probably talking about cornering, which puts different loads on either rear wheel, therefore, creating wierd pinion angles and stresses on either control arms, since they are independent to side, unlike a single TA which controls both sides.

that was basically my question.... ladder bars seem to designed more for track (drag) use. i LOVE the idea, but since there is no clear answer yet. i dont really want to risk it.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Turbo LS1 SS
hes probably talking about cornering, which puts different loads on either rear wheel, therefore, creating wierd pinion angles and stresses on either control arms, since they are independent to side, unlike a single TA which controls both sides.

that was basically my question.... ladder bars seem to designed more for track (drag) use. i LOVE the idea, but since there is no clear answer yet. i dont really want to risk it.
They ARE geared more for drag use. I wouldn't use this setup for the street personally, for the reasons you just stated.

Jon
Old 12-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by PowerShift408
Actually, the impact loading from potholes and bumps, as well as cornering, probably is more stressful than launching your car on slicks at the track.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

so, where did you get the parts? Im interested in doing just the ladder bar conversion but leaving the springs and struts out ($$$$ ). their dealer page is empty, and they list no email. also, can u do the ladder bar with the stock suspension?
Old 12-18-2006, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Ive seen a few of these kits on the street with 0 problems. Im building one now for my 9" on my street car. not going to run a torque arm. Im using 1' swaged tubes with 3/4 ends. I have about 100 in my setup with all parts and brackets. I dont think the tubes will break under street driving presures. Ive seen alot of people using swaged bars for control arms etc.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Actually, the impact loading from potholes and bumps, as well as cornering, probably is more stressful than launching your car on slicks at the track.
but 10 bolts dont usually break on potholes or corners
Old 12-18-2006, 07:59 PM
Teching In

there is nothing about this method that will break on street driving. it might have a more solid ride but thats it. I dont see the tabs breaking off(as long as they are welded good.) and the tubes used are used on dirt track cars for years. I would say they put them through the test with the corners. I will have mine on a little after christmas and will report what I see first hand. I personaly havent heard of a singe instance that this system has failed.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:06 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by SpecterGT260
but 10 bolts dont usually break on potholes or corners
Yes, but they will break from wheel hop that can easily be induced by acceleration on bumpy roads.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SpecterGT260
so, where did you get the parts? Im interested in doing just the ladder bar conversion but leaving the springs and struts out ($$$$ ). their dealer page is empty, and they list no email. also, can u do the ladder bar with the stock suspension?
If you can weld or know someone who can then its about a $130 project. If you already have lower control arms. if not you can buy boxed lower control arms off ebay for $100

Parts you will need.

2 8" swaged bars with 3/4" ends $30
2 Left hand thead 3/4" end links $20
2 right hand thread 3/4" end links $20
2 left hadn thread 3/4" jam nuts $5
2 right hand thread 3/4" jam nuts $5
4 of these http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
$10
$10

4 3/4 grade 8 bolts, 8 washers, 4 locking nuts $20

And you are ready to go. All of these parts are availible through summitracing.com or your local speed shop. I picked all of mine up at my speedshop in town. Its always alot cheaper (for some reason) if you go to a dirt track speed shop. They also have alot more of it in inventory.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Yes, but they will break from wheel hop that can easily be induced by acceleration on bumpy roads.
come on man, were bein just a bit nitpicky here. the fact is that cars driven normally on rough roads last A. longer or B. with less maintainance than cars that are drag raced. ***** out is the hardest thing u can do to ur car as a whole. except for wrestling with a semi.... thats bad for it
Old 12-19-2006, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blown90lx
If you can weld or know someone who can then its about a $130 project. If you already have lower control arms. if not you can buy boxed lower control arms off ebay for $100

Parts you will need.

2 8" swaged bars with 3/4" ends $30
2 Left hand thead 3/4" end links $20
2 right hand thread 3/4" end links $20
2 left hadn thread 3/4" jam nuts $5
2 right hand thread 3/4" jam nuts $5
$10
$10

4 3/4 grade 8 bolts, 8 washers, 4 locking nuts $20

And you are ready to go. All of these parts are availible through summitracing.com or your local speed shop. I picked all of mine up at my speedshop in town. Its always alot cheaper (for some reason) if you go to a dirt track speed shop. They also have alot more of it in inventory.
so you are talking about doing ur own kit? grrr. i just got the car a week ago, i really havent had a chance to look under it and see how its all put together. maybe it would make more sense then
Old 12-19-2006, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ide say these could be made really easily as well... What about using some flex joints like the Jeep guys use. Well Im sure others use it too... But use a flex joint at the body, and rubber/poly bushings at the axle. Then just use rod ends for the upper short arms.

Here is the "flex joint" Im talking about...

The arm would look something like this... but maybe without the adjustable center.

Those are parts from the Rubicon Express line... Its how my front suspension is set up in my jeep. Those super flex joints give a really solid mount, and allow awesome movement over a bushing. Torsional movement is substantial as well. So that might help for the cornering. Plus you can rebuild them if they ever wear out. I have over 2 years of hard use on mine, and they are still good to go. I just grease them up every so often. I say use the rubber bushings at the axle just to cut down on noise and have a nice sturdy point on the axle. The little arm can be rod ends or whatever you choose...

Justin

Quick Reply: No more torque arm. G-force suspension setup