Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

REVIEW: Strano Bilsteins+Hotchkis

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 02:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default REVIEW: Strano Bilsteins+Hotchkis

I got the revalved shocked and springs installed yesterday and drove around for a while. (I had 2" cut springs on deCarbons) LOL
WOW sick sick sick.

Somehow, the car now stays more level on the corners AND is softer over the bumps.

The 4 tires stay planted much much better on hard corners.

They fixed a problem I was having where the car pulled on uneven surfaces.

Car used to start getting scary at 120mph. Went 130 without realizing it last night and all was smooth. (save the lectures - Autobahn)

Ride height is perfect. I have to drive over a lot of speedbumps every day. The ride height is perfectly low but not too low like I had before.

Much better traction under power in a straight like and in the corners.

I did months of research before going with the combo and I narrowed it down to Strano revalved bilsteins + hotchkis OR konis with X spring. If you haven't upgraded, this should be your next mod. My car feels like a $10k nicer/better vehicle now.

I was thinking I would probably need sway bars after the shocks but after driving around a little, I think it's perfect the way it is so I don't want to change anything (for now )

It's worth noting that when you order revalves from Strano, they take about a month to get revalved and then shipped to you. I'm suprised I never saw that info in all the posts I read. Other than that, Strano was great. If you have the choice, deal with Arlyn, she's much more helpful and friendly than the other guy who answers the order line (not Sam).
Old 09-02-2006, 03:31 AM
Restricted User

awesome to hear, yeah my stock decarbons have been through every extreme spring setup possible from stock to eibach sportlines then to hotchkis and back and forth yada yada..lol this WILL be my next mod(i already have the hotchkis in now i gotta get the shocks in the near future), my friend has a 2000 WS6 19,000miles (stock bilstein+hotchkis) and it rides awwwesome at speed, over bumps, everything...like u said the car will feel like a million bucks glad to hear u got wut u paid for
Old 09-02-2006, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

so how much of a drop with the hotchkis springs you used? and has strano released his custom springs yet?
Old 09-02-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd estimate about 1 to 1.5" it's nice and level front to rear with the spring pads in the rear. If you have an aftermarket y or TD's, you don't want to go any lower than this.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good review. I have the stock shocks (eek) and Eibach pro-kit ONLY in the front. As stated before, with LT's and ORY, the pro-kit in the rear was too low for a DD so I put the stock springs in the rear again. I plan on doing the Koni's + Hotchkis from Sam once I get some money. My plan is to address issues where GM has failed- i.e. suspension, braking, etc.

Good luck with the setup

Andy
Old 09-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
so how much of a drop with the hotchkis springs you used? and has strano released his custom springs yet?
It's not that Sam hasen't released the springs, it's that they have YET to ship them to the states. He (and all of us that ordered) have been waiting for them just to get here to the states so he can in turn send them to us.

Jon
Old 09-03-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just replaced my stock deCarbons with a set of revalves from Strano. Running the eibach pro-kit. You hit the nail on the head. It's a great feeling going around corners and having all 4 stay planted now.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much did that run you if I can ask?
Old 09-03-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
How much did that run you if I can ask?
$100 for the springs used off ebay
$530 for the shocks
Old 09-03-2006, 11:37 AM