Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone use Monroe Sensatrac for a stock replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use Monroe Sensatrac for a stock replacement?

I was thinking about getting these shocks as a stock replacement for my shocks with 81k my rearend bouces alot when i push down on it. if you have used these shocks let me know your review on them. i mean they are realy cheap like 28 a shock so i might just through them if they're worth the time
Old 09-13-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Monroe I wouldn't think could be any worse than the stock ones..but you reall get what you pay fo rin shocks.

1. Shocks are pretty much working 100% of the time while your driving.
2. Get what you pay for.

On a stock car I would go with HD"s

I know the lower Monroe shocks like 16 dollars a piece are totally junk less than 20k on them and both were 100% blown.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Veteran

get the napa sensa-tracks. theyre pretty dam good for the price.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Driving a performance car is costly. When it's time for parts replacement many people do not want to spend the money for quality parts . You get what you pay for...
Old 09-13-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
Driving a performance car is costly. When it's time for parts replacement many people do not want to spend the money for quality parts . You get what you pay for...
Well GM didn't quite use quality parts on these cars in the first place. But I would not put 28 dollars shocks on my car either.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Monroe severe service shocks on my Caprice and they are excellent shocks, the cheap ones suck *** though.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Veteran

hence the LT1's optispark.

Originally Posted by LS1MONSTER
Well GM didn't quite use quality parts on these cars in the first place.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

severe sevice never heard of them. but yea everyone i know says the base monroes are not good at all but i have heard good reviews on the ride quality of monroes for the money. I want hds but they are about 4 times as much.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont get why "the majority" of people... spend thousands of dollars on go fast parts... heads, cam, turbo's... blah blah blah... then cheap out on all other parts of the car... namely suspension.. and tires. I dont get it.

you do get what you pay for .. and asking if Monroe shocks are decent.. is like asking if a 179/185 .425 lift cam.. is a good replacement for a stock LS1 cam...
Old 09-15-2006, 12:14 AM
Restricted User

awesome cam specs where can i get that bad boy lol yea man monroe or anything semi "cheapy" from an auto parts store sucks bigtime ESPECIALLY when dealing with something as um i duno IMPORTANT as the struts/SHOCKS that keep you on the road
Old 01-04-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea i totally understand, but as stated before 4 times the cost 100 dollars to 400 dollars for shocks. I am not road racing the car or drag racing it, realy i just drive it to school, work, and then out on the weekends to a car meet everyonce in a while. My stock shocks are blown to hell and i have ridden in my friends z28 with less miles and decarbons and i have to say i am satisfied with the ride on his car without blown shocks. yes you see a big difference when you replace blown factory shocks with bilstien hds but im sure you would also with brand new oem shocks. If you want to give me the money for HDs i am excepting donations by all means but for now i just want my car to drive normal and more predictable untill i graduate college and can get a better job where i can afford 400 dollar plus shock absorbers. Many people get by with stock shocks on there cars and i am no different but mine are blown to hell and i just want a resonable replacement that will give me an improvement in ride.

Thanks i know thier cheap shocks i just need some opinions on what to get for an affordable set of shocks.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Everybody says "you get what you pay for" but nobody
with a factual, "tried-'em-and" answer.

So try 'em and....
Old 01-05-2007, 10:29 AM
11 Second Club

Atleast get some takeoffs if you don't wanna spend the $$ on good shocks. A local guy is selling some.
http://www.sffba.net/forum//showthread.php?t=26054
Old 01-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I think I remember someone using some Monroes on his Trans Am once upon a time, and he said it rode like a big, squishy boat. He replaced them shortly thereafter. It was a while back, though, so I'm not sure who it was.

I, too, will never understand people's motivation for doing such things, although I see where you are coming from from a money standpoint. This stuff isn't cheap. I have a feeling, however, that you'll be replacing the Monroes eventually, thus spending your money twice on the same parts.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just want to say i replaced my old and tired de carbons 85,000 miles of ls1 torque on them. I put on the monroe sensatracs to give them a try, life time warrenty if they blow in the future too, for 60 dollars even from advanced auto. I have to say its a night and day difference i couldnt be happier with putting these shocks on i wish i did this before any other mod on my car it just drives so much better. I think because i used the stock springs that this came out so well. But now i need to do the front shocks which i will be doing on sunday. I dont see why people realy call monroes crappy and porry quality they are made in the USA and have a lifetime warrenty for a non lowered car i am going to have to highly recomend them. The fit was excellent and the ride is soo much better the car doesnt squat and drive like a boat any more much more enjoyable to drive. And even sam strano has said in posts that these are better shocks than factory which says the stock shocks realy do suck. For the money sensatracs are a realy good value. Not to mention my car gets alot better traction now. I pressed down on my old stock shocks and the monroes lol the carbons would shoot back up right away the monroes would gradualy come up at much less of a speed.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

The Sensa-trac is a joke. Do a little research about shocks and you'll find they are spring dampers. And they damp by moving a piston through oil to dispurse the energy stored up and then released by a compressing and decompressing spring. Fine.

Now, do a little research on Sensa-tracs (Monroe or "NAPA" which are the same). The first thing you find is the internal shock body is GROOVED to let the oil BYPASS the piston--you know, the piston and shim stack that gives you the resistance needed to damp the spring energy. *GREAT* idea <sarcasm off>

First line in the Monroe catalog RE: Sensa-trac: "smooth, comfortable ride in a wide range of conditions". And here's one. They say they shorten stopping distances by 10 feet. And shocks can do that. But then again, that's followed by a disclaimer... What they were comparing to was OE shocks, 3 good, one worn-out. And the best they could do was 10 feet better? Yikes. New stock shocks vs. trashed stock shocks can be as much as 30% better in stopping, performance shocks vs. junk shocks even more. 10 feet against OE shocks, one of which is junk is just an example of the lack of control Sensa-tracs have. The Monroe Reflex is a MUCH better shock, but then again, they don't make that for the 4th gen F-body. And for that matter, they are listed by Monroe as "struts", when they are really shocks (coil-over in front, standard shocks in the rear). That in itself is a little bit scary to me.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-05-2007, 02:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'll add the fact you improved the car is not surprising. But that has more to do with the stock shocks that were poor to start with when new, then add 60k miles to them..... The frame of reference is very narrow. None the less I'm glad you find the car better. Over time you'll start seeing it lacking again (just like I had to warranty my neighbor's PT Cruiser Monroe's after 1 year). Hopefully you have better luck.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea they arent performance shocks from what i know but they work alot better than my old beat up stocks for sure! I actualy can drive my car a bit more comfortably now. We'll see how they hold up to some miles, also these are on the car untill i get done with school at least. Yes they both are made by the same company i knew that. http://www.domesticmuscle.com/dmforu...ad.php?t=61585 i was reading this it was pretty interesting. But yea these are just cheap stock replacements that worked. Of course any shock would be better than a stock shock with 85k but i was just stating these shocks are riding much much better than my stock shocks.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they do float on freeway bumps and dips, make sure tire pressure is spec, make sure tire tread is good, its a decent shock for the "econo" person.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

See to me the "they do float" and it's a "decent shock" are self-negating terms. Seeing as the float is a lack of damping, and shocks are spring dampers. The floating is what you don't want from a shock, at all.... let alone a new one. FWIW

Quick Reply: Anyone use Monroe Sensatrac for a stock replacement?