Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

WS6 rides very very rough!! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WS6 rides very very rough!! HELP!

I know these cars ride a bit rough (2000 ws6) but its getting ridiculas. How can i tell if my shocks (or other suspension parts) are shot? I live in L.A. and the roads are bad, however once the car is on a newly paved road (rare) its like riding on glass. But the grooves and potholes just tear it apart, on the highway too it shakes on vibrates like crazy and "skips" over road imperfections (meaning it does not stick to the road). Any insight would be very helpfull!!! btw, its stock as far as suspension goes and ride hight.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

How many miles on your car? Have you ever replaced the shocks, or are they the original Decarbons? That's one possibility for the rough ride. Wouldn't know how to check them without removing them, unless you can visually verify that one is leaking. Are you on the stock wheels and stock tire size?
Old 09-14-2006, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Car has 90k, dk if they had been replaced yet by last owner (they are white in color though). rims/tires stock (17" 275/40). Just wondering if you can soften the ride somehow, or if something just needs replacing etc.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Stock Decarbons are an orange color, so it's safe to say that your shocks have been replaced with something else. My first guess would be that one is blown, or they're actually worse than the stock Decarbons. I drive my g/f's car quite a bit ('00 SS with stock suspension) and it's actaully a pretty comfortable ride, so I'd say something is not right with your suspension. Although, feeling "comfortable" is subjective so...

Another thing, since your shocks aren't stock, are you sure your springs are?
Old 09-14-2006, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

the car was bone stock (still is except for a lid) when i got it. has not been lowered so i would assume the springs are stock. but im not exagerating when i say it rides rough.....real rough! like it has no shocks at all. ive always driven f-body's and this one is the roughest ride by far! before i start replacing **** i would like to get an idea of what i amy be dealing with. dk too much about suspension and dont trust a shop to "tell" me what it needs. so any help you huys can throw at me i'd appreciate it!
Old 09-14-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if they are white... chances are they are KYB Gas-a-just shocks...
Old 09-15-2006, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

well, assuming my shocks are shot. what would be the best shock for daily driving on crap roads?
Old 09-15-2006, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

I like the feel of the stock Decarbons for comfort, but my Bilstien's aren't bad either. I guess whichever is in your budget would do the trick if you're not looking to improve handling.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:58 AM
Restricted User

yea if theyre white, theyre probably some KYB garbage or even worse some discount/advance wanna be badass shock absorber like (monroe or gabriels lmao) i would save up and buy new decarbons(which feel surprisingly nice when "new") or save up even more and get either tokico/koni....or the yellow/blue heavy duty bilsteins
Old 09-15-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Please don't put stock DeCarbons on the car....it would be a huge waste of time and money. They really are a horrible shock. They don't control the spring and they wear out in about 10,000 miles.
If you really want to improve your ride quality, you should call Sam Strano ---> and talk to him...he can help you make an informed decision and his prices are reasonable. It may cost you $400-800, but the shocks will outlast your car. When you think about how important the shocks are and how much work they do, that price is a bargain.
$200 worth of shocks every 10,000 miles....or $800 in shocks for the life of the car?
Old 09-15-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Killer. Im going to be at the Bobs in burbank tonight. I can take a look and see what you have.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

It's your shocks, guarantee it. I don't know of any white shocks worth putting on our cars. Your WS6 is a bit lower than a regular TA which would make regular Bilstein HDs acceptable (and an improvement) but still rough and not an ideal match for your WS6 springs. They need to be revalved HDs or better yet, Konis, to match your springs well. Call Sam Strano and get some stuff from him based on his advice. www.stranoparts.com call him on the phone, he's awesome. It's your shocks, bet on it.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Shocks will undoubtedly help, but he might not need Revalves. Not all WS6 springs are stiffer than stock springs (earlier cars were, but the later cars use stock springs).

Probably HD's would be my recommendation. HOWEVER (note the big letters), it's something we need to talk about as there are different HD's we can use on the rear of the car. The part number shown in the catalog is IMHO no good. They made a valving change that made them more like DeCarbon's, which wasn't smart (and I don't know why). We still have options.... but it's not just a very simple thing that I'd recommend just jumping into with both feet until you understand what's going on.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: WS6 rides very very rough!! HELP!