Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Time for brakes questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Time for brakes questions

I was doing a tire rotation and looked at my pads and it looks like im going to need pads soon. I would like to get all 4 changed and saw the hawk pads. Are they any good? Also i would like to get slotted roters to but is it really necessary? Do i need new calipers with the new pads and roters? But for now i think all i need are pads before the roters get bad.

I might put them on myself since i went to auto school. Any write ups on here how to change the pads?
Old 11-18-2006, 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

I have HAWK HPS pads on stock rotors and the difference over stock is huge, just buy them and throw them on. It takes 2 minutes to change each pad once the wheels are off its cake.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2001somws.6
Time for brakes questions?
Time for SEARCH function.

You went to 'auto school' but you need a write up ?? Is this the answer to indolent ??
Old 11-18-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chicane
Time for SEARCH function.

You went to 'auto school' but you need a write up ?? Is this the answer to indolent ??
Well its been 10 years since i had went to school i would like to refresh my memory and the fact the cars i worked on were late 70s and early 80s cars and not a 2001 trans am. Yet i do have books on this it might be out dated.

Also i dont think i have all the tools to do this all by myself. And would like a warranty with this. Not im not lazy i just replaced my fuel filter and my thermostat and tire rotation.

If you dont have any good info on brake pads dont reply.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used hawk HPS pads all around, so far so good. I was going to get brembo blank rotors all around but the fronts were back ordered everywhere a few months ago when I did them. I ended up with pro-slot fronts (tbyrne.com, sponsor) and brembo blank rears (tirerack.com, sponsor). Everything feels great.

People debate about slots or no slots. One nice thing about the pro slots is they have an anti corrosion coating. So my front discs still look new and clean all over. The brembo rears are showing rust where the pads don't contact the rotor. So if you like them to look good a coated rotor might help.

Installuniversity.com has a pretty good write up on doing the brakes. The thing they missed was servicing the pins/sliders and grease boots on the calipers. In my case I had a frozen front slider pin that caused trouble. A repair manual like Hynes might be helpful to you.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2001somws.6
If you dont have any good info on brake pads dont reply.
Relax cracker... you do see the >> << dont you ?? It is a representation of applied humor. Learn it... live it... post it.

If you would have taken the time to actually perform a search, you would have found hours and hours worth of reading... for this and your very specific question. But since you have not, the rest of us get to lead you to water, and frankly most if not all of us, are tired of beating a dead horse. You will find the opinions of many, to include my own on this very subject. Since I just might have considerable experience with just about every pad compound, I guess you could say I could have a lot of information about materials and compounds..... and its all been explained 100 times over. THAT, is good info on brake pads.

There are 276 threads in the "Handling & Braking" forum, so there has got to be a lot of information to be had for those motivated enough to find it. But you would have known this if you would have spent two minutes to type it in a search request. Here in America, we call that lazy.

All of this took less time than it took you to create your thread: Start with this and then... this and then... this about rotors and then... this and then move on to these:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15,16, 17, 18, 19, 20.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

read stickies, use the search button.