Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Canyon Carver/Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Canyon Carver/Daily Driver

It is about time to upgrade the shocks and springs on my car.

I live in an area where roads are terrible and driveways are steep, and I need to keep about stock ride height (maybe .5" lower in interest of Center of Gravity). What I am mainly after, I think, is a stiffer spring in the front and (according to some) the rear springs are fine at stock rate.

I currently have double diamond (RK sport) SFC's and SS wheels with 275/40/17 tires. I also have poly trans and torque arm mounts.

I was thinking that my set up should go like this: 1Le springs in the front, stock replacement springs in the back, with a set of Custom Valved Bilsteins from Sam Strano and later LCAs, Strano Sway Bars, etc.

Any advice and help would be appreciated. The car really cannot be lowered much more than .25-.50".

The main goal of the car is daily driver that is able to hold its own in the canyons.

My only problem is where do I get a set of front 1le springs, or someone that can custom wind an equivelant spring for a reasonable price?

Thanks You Guys!!!!

-Jake

Last edited by gun5l1ng3r; 11-22-2006 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Resident

Just talk to Strano, he'll set you up.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Have you thought about running the Ground Control adjustables upfront?
Old 11-23-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
Have you thought about running the Ground Control adjustables upfront?
The only thing is price. I think a set of front 1le springs is probably no more than $100 and I can use the Strano Bilsteins.

What is the cost of the ground control set-up and can I use "regular" f-body shocks (Koni/Bilsteins)?

Also I don't have the time or know-how on what the correct tuning(ride height) would be for the GC Coil Overs.

And doesn't a shock, in order to work correctly, have to be valved for a certain ride height?

Thanks Guys
Old 11-24-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

to the top^
Old 11-24-2006, 12:18 PM
Launching!

What about Koni SA's and stock springs? If I remember right, it is about a 3/4" drop (using the lower perch on the front and heater hose mod on the rear) and you wouldn't have to buy new springs.

The rest of the set-up looks good in my opinion.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by soulless
What about Koni SA's and stock springs? If I remember right, it is about a 3/4" drop (using the lower perch on the front and heater hose mod on the rear) and you wouldn't have to buy new springs.

The rest of the set-up looks good in my opinion.
Good call on the Koni's soulless. Factory springs are just fine, the Koni's will make a HUGE difference!

Great shocks and swaybars is all you really need gun5l1ng3r. Whatever you do, don't go cheap on the shocks, you will be thrilled with the handling difference.

I would go for the 1LE's all the way around, having the rear a touch stiffer than factory is a good way to go.

Koni Single Adjustables are a GREAT way to go.
Revalved Bilstein's would be a great way to go too.

Koni's are the best. The advantage of these shocks is that you could buy different springs with a stiffer spring rate and you can adjust the Koni's to match the spring rate.

SCHWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!!!

IMHO.

Ditto with calling Sam Strano, he is THE guru in f-body handling, he will discuss with you what you want out of your car and steer you in the right direction and suggest parts that will suit your driving needs within your budget.

Don't forget, don't go cheap on the shocks.

GC Coilovers may be overkill for what you need for your car, talk to Sam Strano and he'll give you all the information that you need to make an educated and very sound decision for your own application.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think that the slight increase in spring rate with the 1le springs would be better for handling right?

I know it would be a slighlty rougher ride with the 1le springs, but I also think it will handle better.

If I get the Konis for the front, how do I lower the rear if I get Bilsteins for the back? or do I leave it stock height?

Thanks you guys for all your help. I don't know what I would do without LS1TECH!
Old 11-24-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the roads are bad rough potholes etc a higher spring rate like the 1le espeically inthe rear will make it more prone of it coming around on you if you on uneven road surfaces crappy roads.

As always Sam can help you.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolformula
If the roads are bad rough potholes etc a higher spring rate like the 1le espeically inthe rear will make it more prone of it coming around on you if you on uneven road surfaces crappy roads.

As always Sam can help you.
I know, I PM'd him and he hasn't responded yet. It IS thanksgiving weekend, so I probably won't talk to him until next week.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gun5l1ng3r
I think that the slight increase in spring rate with the 1le springs would be better for handling right?

I know it would be a slighlty rougher ride with the 1le springs, but I also think it will handle better.

If I get the Konis for the front, how do I lower the rear if I get Bilsteins for the back? or do I leave it stock height?

Thanks you guys for all your help. I don't know what I would do without LS1TECH!
From what I have found, the stock front spring rates are 292 lbs/inch, while the 1LE front springs are 360 lbs/inch. That is quite a difference, possibly more than the slight increase you are expecting. So, if the roads you drive on are really that bad, I would keep the stock springs. Keep in mind, the stiffer the spring, the stiffer the shock needs to be so that the shock can keep the spring under control. If the suspension becomes to stiff, it won't be able to do its job and you might as well wegde a 2x4 in there.

As far as the rear goes, you can still do the heater hose mod to decrease ride height. I am not exactly sure how this would effect shock choice though. But, it stands to reason, if you decrease the travel of the shock, by shorting its usable range, than you're also changing its dampening characteristics.

Sorry for the novel but I'm in the middle of trying to sort out how I want to set my car up and thought I would share what I have found. If any of it is wrong or unclear I hope the gurus will chime in.

Here's a link with some basic info: spring and shock rates
Old 11-24-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know, I PM'd him and he hasn't responded yet. It IS thanksgiving weekend, so I probably won't talk to him until next week.
PM'ing him is a long shot...he's a busy guy and one nearly every F-body board you can think of...call him....its the best way..real personable guy and seems to really want to help
Old 11-26-2006, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

1LE springs are certainly not harsh; I actually find mine to be pretty comfortable.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a similar plan, to put on 1le springs w good shocks to get the best daily driver/high speed AX car. Sam actually talked me into staying w stock springs. As stated the Koni SAs will improve both ride and handling--->GET THEM!

Stock springs, Koni SAs, Strano Sway bars will give you all the handling you can safely use on the street, and keep you comfortable.

I would also highly recomend an adjustable Panhard rod. IMHO get a single adjustable unit, as the DA (I have anyway) CANNOT b adjusted on the car--u have to remove 1 side, so a single adjustable will be just as good. This will realy help plant the rear in mid corner bumps.

Combine these parts w the hose mod, lower perch, performance alingment, and good tires and you will b a happy camper!
Old 11-29-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I talked to Sam today, and he also convinced me to stay on stock springs. Sam was VERY helpful on the phone and told me everything I would ever want to know about shocks. Now the choice of how much money to spend...

PS: Does anyone know of a cheap place to aqcuire some stock springs cheap?

Last edited by gun5l1ng3r; 11-29-2006 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Well, I talked to Sam today, and he also convinced me to stay on stock springs. Sam was VERY helpful on the phone and told me everything I would ever want to know about shocks. Now the choice of how much money to spend...

I think I still have a set, let me go and look.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

i got some stock SS springs w/ low miles and im in CA for cheap.
Pm if your interested.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am looking for Z28 low miles springs...
Old 12-01-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SLP sometimes has leftoveres

Quick Reply: Canyon Carver/Daily Driver