Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

how much did sfc's help you???

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 08:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much did sfc's help you???

im gonna spend the money and get a set of subframe connectors but i was just curious if you could feel a difference after putting them on?
Old 03-05-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you have crappy shocks and springs, then yes you will feel a difference but that is not where the problem lies. you should change the shocks and springs first, then if you feel compelled to get SFC's, do it.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Yes, I felt a difference. The car rode much stiffer and impacts that before were absorbed by the suspension were transmitted to the body.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

the ride kind of sucks with them on bad roads. you feel every little thing in the road. I do have 315s in the back, 275s in the front, and a hell of alot of suspention mods, and this is the one thing that impacted the ride the worst. It handles better only, because the body doesn't flex so you are tricked into thinking it does. but thats my opinion...
Old 03-06-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iamsickofitall
if you have crappy shocks and springs, then yes you will feel a difference but that is not where the problem lies. you should change the shocks and springs first, then if you feel compelled to get SFC's, do it.

yeah I'd pretty much agree.

but you should feel a pretty big difference in the roll of the car and when doing hard movements left/right. feels flatter in turns and more controlled straight when hard braking.

i felt a pretty big difference anyways after getting some welded in. I have T-Tops also and some suggest it as one of the first mods you do.

it's more a chassis mod rather a suspension mod IMO.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:13 AM
TECH Addict

definitely stiffens the chassis up which will make you feel more "planted" around corners, i did at least and i have a hardtop.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They really helped me with jacking points.

Other than that, it adds about 30lbs to the weight of the car.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can tell a small difference with mine. I got the MAC weld-in SFCs. Whether you can tell a difference or not, you should still get them, because of that damn uni-body twist.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

I think most of the opinions you get here won't be very accurate as far as how the difference in handling is as most won't really have done a before and after slalom test or really tested it during high speed corners. Street doesn't really count.

I would get them primarily for a nice jackpoint where you can jack up the whole side of your car. If you plan to autox, I would avoid them since they bump you into street mod classes.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:08 AM
TECH Junkie

I couldn't tell a difference. But if I would just be putting them on now with the power I am making I would think I would notice.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

I could easily tell the difference. I don't know that it really corners better with them but it feels a lot better. Jacking is another good point. Before the SFCs it would groan/pop a little when jacking up a corner. Not any more.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I think most of the opinions you get here won't be very accurate as far as how the difference in handling is as most won't really have done a before and after slalom test or really tested it during high speed corners. Street doesn't really count.

I would get them primarily for a nice jackpoint where you can jack up the whole side of your car. If you plan to autox, I would avoid them since they bump you into street mod classes.

exactly perfect thank you
Old 03-06-2007, 07:26 PM
12 Second Club

if they effect the ride quality that much, im not gettin them....
Old 03-06-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 00slowredz
if they effect the ride quality that much, im not gettin them....
SFC's definitely don't hurt daily driveability ride quality at all. I can't comment on a 3 point setup, but my hotchkis boxed ones didn't hurt ride quality. Not like if you got lowering springs or solid lower control arms. Like I said, if autox is no issue for you, SFC's will be fine but don't expect miracles out of them as far as improving handling. Awesome jack point though. I can raise up the whole side of my car with my craftsman jack within a few seconds

EDIT: Looking at your sig now, you'd be in SM at least anyway with your mods. Go for the SFCs
Old 03-06-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

What about the other issues that no one talks about here, and what they were REALLY intended for? They are not to help your car handle better, they are not a part of your suspension in any way.

What about your car twisting when going over diagonal railroad tracks? Pulling into a driveway? Going over speedbumps? Etc...do they stop the car from feeling like its going to twist like a pretzel and bust? And help stop the creaks and groans when doing so?

Hope someone can answer this one.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Yes, they make the whole body feel tighter and the chassis stiffer. You don't feel twist or flex. But the downside is they make impacts much harsher. A week after putting mine on, I wanted to take them off. But they were welded on so well ...

I had no complaints with the stock shocks until I got the SFC's. They increased impact harshness so much that I had to go with Bilsteins. The Bilstein/SFC combo does make for a very tight, controlled, and yet supple ride, I must admit. Plus I've really gotten used to the convenience of jacking when I swap out my DR's. So I'm semi-happy with them now.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my car felt great after i did them (mostly daily driving) plus my ttops fit better! no more leakage!

and i only have to jack the car up once on each side
Old 03-07-2007, 04:34 AM
TECH Addict

you can always just get the bolt-on SFC's and install them with bolts to see how they feel....if you don't like them, simply unbolt them and sell them to someone else.

if you do happen to like them, take the car somewhere and have them welded in permanently and be done with it. there's nothing that prevents bolt-on SFC's from being welded, it's all metal....
Old 03-07-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 00slowredz
im gonna spend the money and get a set of subframe connectors but i was just curious if you could feel a difference after putting them on?
well... i was hoping they would never allow my dash to crack... but they saved my car from probably being totaled out
Old 03-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Launching!

i had a stang a long long time ago and the rear was tearing out due to hard launches ("torque box")....a known issue on the fox body... i added SFC and it cured the problem right up.... when i moved on to the TA as soon as i left the dealership i added a set of kenny brown DD SFC... there is a hell of a debate that they do nothing / do something... from my past experiences i added them for peace of mind... a few hundred bucks nothing to break the bank....

Last edited by 98ws61le; 03-08-2007 at 05:33 PM.

Quick Reply: how much did sfc's help you???