Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

WTF!! is up with my brakes!!! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF!! is up with my brakes!!! HELP

So im coming back from the bar yesterday and *** im getting of the freeway and starting to brake my car started to shake ALOT and making all kind of weird noises *** its braking and right before its about to come to a complete stop its makes a loud THUMP like if someone threw a brick at my car. It did this crap 4 more times before i got home (damn red lights)!!! when im driving the car runs normal but its only when im braking that this happens! What do you guys think it is? thanks
Old 04-22-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

well the firs thing that i would think of is that you've got a caliper loose... hard to tell without being there.. But the car stops fine and has full braking power? your pads could be screwed up too... Ive seen the pad come off of the metal plate and cause some problems...(cheap parts.)
Old 04-22-2007, 03:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chromeplated500
well the firs thing that i would think of is that you've got a caliper loose... hard to tell without being there.. But the car stops fine and has full braking power? your pads could be screwed up too... Ive seen the pad come off of the metal plate and cause some problems...(cheap parts.)

+1 Seen bad pads- rotors do some messed up things.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

The car does have braking power!!! but when im braking it shakes like a damn 10.0 earthquake making all kinds of loud noises!!! and if im going at around 10-15mph and hit the brakes allitle the car just comes to a hard stop!!!

Last edited by SSmoked!; 04-22-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:33 PM
12 Second Club

if it has a loose caliper or a broken off pad it would still have plenty of braking power due to the other corners still working. Best bet would be to take the wheels off and inspect everything
Old 04-22-2007, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Has anyone had or have heard of this type of proble before?
Old 04-22-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SSmoked!
So im coming back from the bar yesterday and *** im getting of the freeway and starting to brake my car started to shake ALOT and making all kind of weird noises *** its braking and right before its about to come to a complete stop its makes a loud THUMP like if someone threw a brick at my car. It did this crap 4 more times before i got home (damn red lights)!!! when im driving the car runs normal but its only when im braking that this happens! What do you guys think it is? thanks

Try driving agian, it might have just been the old lady under your car that you hit while drunk driving .

haha, sorry couldnt help a twisted uncooth joke =D
Old 04-23-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had that happen to me with a previous car when the caliper came loose.
it would brake fine until you got down to 10-15mph, then the caliper would swing out and dig into the wheel rim. this results in the scraping then the loud thump when the caliper gets a nice grip of the wheel. since then i don't mind getting new caliper bolts from GM (they come with loctite on the threads) or using a bit of loctite on the old bolts.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Just got it fixed!!!! One of my bolts broke causing the calliper to come loose and that broken bolt was diging into my rotors!!!! OUCH!! Thank God this happend close to home and i didnt have to get new rotors!!!! thanks for all the info guys!!!
Old 04-23-2007, 07:33 PM
12 Second Club

no prob man glad to be able to help

Quick Reply: WTF!! is up with my brakes!!! HELP