Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-10-2016, 03:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Abs Inop, Brake Light, Trac Off

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abs Big Three Lights

I tried to scan my ABS system and the Mac Taskmaster could not connect.(no comunication possible). So i had to go into the Air Bag codes, since that light is on as well. Got these two codes B0026...driver frontal deployment loop open...U1040 loss of comunication with ABS. Fuses are good, rear 3 channel plug is on, i am getting power and groung to the big plug to the ecbm plug in, i dont think the ECBM is talking to the PCM...or is it the other way around. Can someone tell me what and how to check for comunication between these two units. Thanks
Old 05-15-2014, 09:31 PM

Default problem solved

Your car’s “Check Engine” or “Service Engine Soon” light can flash on for more than 1,400 different reasons, and in the coming months, we’re going to share with you what some of those reasons are. The light is part of your vehicle’s on-board diagnostics (OBD) system and can indicate anything from a quick fix like a loose gas cap to a major repair like a catalytic converter.

Trouble code: P0500

This means the vehicle speed sensor is not reading the vehicle's speed correctly.

Symptoms of a P0500 IAC Malfunction may include:

Loss of anti-lock brakes.
The "anti-lock" or "brake" warning lamps on the dash may be lit (in addition to the check engine light).
The speedometer or odometer may not work properly (or at all).
Your vehicle's RPM limiter may be decreased.
The shifting of an automatic transmission may become erratic.
Potential causes of a P0500 code include:

The vehicle speed sensor is not functioning properly.
There is a broken/frayed wire leading to the vehicle speed sensor.
The vehicle's powertrain control module is not correctly configured for the actual tire size on the vehicle.
Possible solutions

Reset the code and see if it comes back.
Check all wiring and connectors that lead to the speed sensor.
Check the voltage at the speed sensor.
If everything looks OK, replace the sensor.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Default 01 TA wont start

I drove my 01 Trans Am to work Friday morning. Went to start it to go to lunch and there was no start no crank. Had lights and radio. I have replaced the battery since it was eight years old showing half charge and checked out bad. No difference. Took the starter out and had it checked and it was ok. I am at a lost. Has anyone else had this problem. HELP.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mykhaylo
Your car’s “Check Engine” or “Service Engine Soon” light can flash on for more than 1,400 Wrong, try again! There are not 1400 possible SES codesdifferent reasons, and in the coming months, we’re going to share with you what some of those reasons are. The light is part of your vehicle’s on-board diagnostics (OBD) system and can indicate anything from a quick fix like a loose gas cap to a major repair like a catalytic converter.

Trouble code: P0500

This means the vehicle speed sensor is not reading the vehicle's speed correctly.

Symptoms of a P0500 IAC VSS not IACMalfunction may include:

Loss of anti-lock brakes.
The "anti-lock" or "brake" warning lamps on the dash may be lit (in addition to the check engine light).Doubtful considering we are talking about two separate computers
The speedometer or odometer may not work properly (or at all).Wrong! Try again. The speedo and odo are controlled by the VSS at the transmission, this has nothing to do with the ABS speed sensors which are completely separate. We are discussing ABS failures here in this thread.
Your vehicle's RPM limiter may be decreased.Not from an ABS fault it wouldn't
The shifting of an automatic transmission may become erratic.Not from an ABS fault it wouldn't
Potential causes of a P0500 code include:

The vehicle speed sensor is not functioning properly.
There is a broken/frayed wire leading to the vehicle speed sensor.
The vehicle's powertrain control module is not correctly configured for the actual tire size on the vehicle.Wrong! Try again, the VSS reads at the trans output so tire size isnt factored! Tires sizes will effect ABS functionality however
Possible solutions

Reset the code and see if it comes back.
Check all wiring and connectors that lead to the speed sensor.
Check the voltage at the speed sensor.
If everything looks OK, replace the sensor.
What crap website did you copy and post this bologna from? Corrections in bold. You are only serving to further confuse people.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:47 AM
Teching In

So I'm having the asr and abs light on after a dyno. The guys at the shop said it should turn off after a bit of normal driving but it hasn't. What's up?
Old 06-28-2015, 08:47 AM
TECH Resident

I'd bet for the vast majority of people here replacing the ABS module is the fix
Old 07-05-2015, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

I had a lot of problems with abs inop, Trac, etc. going on and off periodically. When I upgraded my fuel pump, I decided to upgraded my alternator with a powerbastards stock size (came with overdrive pulley installed so I had to drop my serpentine belt a half inch) and do a quasi big 3 upgrade.
I ran positive from the alternator to the battery, ground from battery to chassis next to battery (sand down paint!), and a ground from the rear stock bolt of the alternator to the stock ground next to fuses on the driver's side. I cleaned the positive terminal next to the fuses as well.

Wouldn't you know it, all the problems went away! Pure happenstance but I haven't had a code in a freaking year. I used to get one every other day. Crazy. Hope it helps.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the same problem with my 04 (new body style) Malibu 3.5. It is outside temperature dependent on which lights come on. On hot days, it's the ABS, TCS, and check vehicle lights, cool mornings its ABS and BRAKE, and no TCS or check vehicle. Glad to see others have solved this, I'm wondering if the whole thing is ground related, to those who replaced the EBCM, I'm wondering if just when you replaced it you cleaned the grounds and that's why it went away, not so much the new EBCM. I'm going to try removing and cleaning the EBCM connections first.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:09 AM
Teching In

Default What a long *** thread

Originally Posted by 2000 WS6 Formula
I read through this entire thread. Lots of good info. But no real root causes, except for your post. I know its been a long time but is this fix still working? Just curious.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 09-16-2015, 07:20 AM
Launching!

Location: From Massapequa, New York / Now in Southern California
Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingerrray
I read through this entire thread. Lots of good info. But no real root causes, except for your post. I know its been a long time but is this fix still working? Just curious.

Thanks,
Rob
Yup! Still good, no problems since. It's hard to see in my photos but there were three broken wires that looked to be Ok at first glance but closer inspection revealed that they were broken and would disconnect when engine bay temperatures increased.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I found a service recall for my 04 Malibu and it has the dealer put dilectric grease on the EBCM connections. I found that it had already been done, but I put more on. Then I cleaned all of my grounds and now the TCS and check vehicle lights are gone, never come back based on temp anymore, and I'm left with ABS and BRAKE lights on. Check your grounds. Also my 3rd brake light has 6 LEDs and 1 LED is out, stupid POS malibu 3rd light new is like $90, since you can't just replace 1 LED. Check your 3rd brake light.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I read through the thread and didn't seem to find an answer to mine. I am having the running different size tires issue so my question is is there a fix to clear the lights while running my drag set up? Or will I just have to deal with the lights being on. I have all three abs inop, brake, and asr.

Thanks,
Old 03-12-2016, 11:39 PM

Default Wires

Originally Posted by txturbo
Doesn't help me any but thanks for the update. Mine is all stock and I'm still having this problem. I ordered both front wheel bearing/hub assemblies a few days ago. If they come in before the weekend, I'm going to replace them. I know the right front one seemed a little too stiff last time I had the calipers and rotors off. Now it seems to be making a little noise at high speed. If that doesn't fix it I'm not sure what else to check. The only thing left is the ABS module itself.
Update......replaced the front hubs and still have the lights. All wheel sensors have been changed, all 4 tires are the same size,all bulbs are working, all connectors are plugged in, all fuses are good. Only thing I haven't done is check all the wires for continuity and replaced the ABS module. Any other components that will cause these light to come on? I'm going to Indy this month and would really like to get this fixed so my cruise control will work.
I had same problem. Looked under front of car and on passenger side had yellow and green wires disconnected. I connected the 2 wires and now abs not working light and trac light is off. I test drove and abs and traction control work great again.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:48 PM

Default Abs not working light,and trac light

I had same problem. After checking all fuses and looking under hood and under car I found two wires disconnected from passenger side tire mount. The wires were yellow and green. I connected wires back and abs light and trac light went out. I took for test drive and abs works as well as well as traction control system. Now I just need to get fuel gauge to work. Any ideas?
At least my abs and trac light issue was an easy fix. I hope this helps some of you.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
I replace the ABS relay and it fixed the lights, everything worked fine after that.
Did you buy a new or a used one
Old 05-10-2016, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

this same problem just started with mine. I've read the whole thread and there's very useful info. I too am stumped as to what the actual root of the problem is. I have all three lights come on in my car, usually after having been on the road for a few miles.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the abs light on constantly and no one could read the codes so I had the module rebuilt by a guy on ebay. Now the light comes on sometimes and sometimes it is out. I still cannot find anybody to read my abs codes. Guy in the last shop I tried said that camaro's , firebirds and Malibu's used a special system and I would need to go to the stealership to have the codes read, probably not gonna happen. Such a f'n hassle over such a simple thing. I asked here on the forum if anybody had a TechII that could read them for me but no one seems to want to do it. If I can't figure it out I will put a piece of electrical tape over the light. Not gonna replace both front hubs because I can't get the codes read and sure as hell not gonna pay the stealership hundreds to read the codes.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Default ABS Trac off Brake Dash indicators

I have recently had this problem intermittently, my braking does not seem to be affected, traction control is deactivated. Have been checking into it but have not found the problem yet. No codes have been logged yet. After the indicators come on and I reach my destination, waiting about 5 minutes when I restart my car the indicators are no longer on. With my problem the indicators do not turn off after the starting initialization.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by therodmanbeek
I have recently had this problem intermittently, my braking does not seem to be affected, traction control is deactivated. Have been checking into it but have not found the problem yet. No codes have been logged yet. After the indicators come on and I reach my destination, waiting about 5 minutes when I restart my car the indicators are no longer on. With my problem the indicators do not turn off after the starting initialization.
I sent my module off to a rebuild company in ga. It was about $60. Working perfectly ever since. I found them on eBay. I have heard of a ground wire by the front grille opposite of the battery being loose and bad wheel sensors too. But most likely the module needs repair. It gets worse when the engine is hot.

Rob,
Old 06-25-2017, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingerrray
I sent my module off to a rebuild company in ga. It was about $60. Working perfectly ever since. I found them on eBay. I have heard of a ground wire by the front grille opposite of the battery being loose and bad wheel sensors too. But most likely the module needs repair. It gets worse when the engine is hot.

Rob,
I was thinking of sending my off to Idoha repair the electrical part of ABS cunk they charge $160. free back shipping

hello please post ebay link

Quick Reply: Abs Inop, Brake Light, Trac Off