Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-10-2016, 03:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Abs Inop, Brake Light, Trac Off

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jm01z28
thanks a lot for the info.

By the way, I went to a junk yard to pick up an EBCM. there was none from a camaro / firebird. The guy showed me EBCM of a Hummer H2 V8 6.0L 2005 model and looks like the connector is exactly the same as of my 2001 Z28. Does anybody know if the H2's EBCM fit my car?
No, READ THRU THE THREAD....you need one from the same year and same style rear as yours now if you want no lights to come on. Does yours have traction control or no?
Also, you may want to just get one off ebay or this site and save time. Running to a bunch of junk yards to find an fbody from your year with a working unit prob will not happen or at least call around, some yards do shipping too.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The EBCM may not be your the only problem...there is quite a bit more that can be faulty. The EBCM if scanned can be misinterpreting data giving a code which may be a by-product of the original problem.

Reducing the risk of getting another failed unit, which is quite common, either purchase one from someone on THIS site that hopefully they can be honest enough to let you know that when they took the ABS controller out of their car to install one of our ABS delete kits, they had a working system.

Most folks on here are pretty honest as this is a good community site...I'd definitely pick one up from a member here verses Ebay.

It's probably easier and less expensive in the end to delete your ABS using one of our kits...that is up to you though and what you're willing to spend to fix your ABS if you feel you need it.

The ABS controller is very expensive...up to 750.00 depending where you get one. Someone who purchased a working unit for under 50.00 as posted got a screaming deal.

As FbOdyOnly posted, read the thread (and others) as it can be very informative.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hate to bump an older thread but pointless to start a new one. My car has had this same problem for a while now so far only done the basic checks such as the brake fuses, wheel sensors, heck even changed the pads to be sure. So im pretty sure its EBCM or hopefully that just a matter of finding one cheap thats good and hopefully it fixes it. My question is has anyone with this problem actually had the Service Vehicle light come on as well. For a while mine never did but lately its on almost all the time with the other 3 lights and I have checked EVERYTHING for that even had the car scanned at few different places with no codes.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Launching!

That is common for the lamp to illuminate. It's just letting you know that something needs attention on your car. It should be throwing a code or at least a stored code should be seen with the right scanning tool.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

just got a new car. 98 SS a4. all three lights on all the time as soon as i start the car and the lights will not go off
Old 10-22-2011, 05:21 AM
Staging Lane

OK so I replaced the electrical part of my ABS unit with another one but now besides the dreaded 3 lights (ABS, ASR and Brake) the Service Vehicle light is also coming one.
What could be the problem?

When I scanned before replacing the machine was giving code 550 which is ECU malfunction I believe. Hence, I thought replacing the ABS unit should solve the issue.
Please help!
Old 10-22-2011, 05:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jm01z28
OK so I replaced the electrical part of my ABS unit with another one but now besides the dreaded 3 lights (ABS, ASR and Brake) the Service Vehicle light is also coming one.
What could be the problem?

When I scanned before replacing the machine was giving code 550 which is ECU malfunction I believe. Hence, I thought replacing the ABS unit should solve the issue.
Please help!
I am thinking, do I need to maybe scan the car again after replacing the unit and delete the codes?
Old 10-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Launching!

If its not a new unit...which I'm sure its not, it could be bad or something else is wrong. Your wiring could be faulty. It could be a multitude of concurrent issues.

This is why deleting ABS with our ABS delete kit is typically the least troublesome fix (ie cost and time). This thread is 12 pages long now...maybe something else mentioned previously may help.

Removing ABS doesn't change normal braking. Actually, you can now tune your brakes now with the adjustable proportioning valve...something you couldn't do before.

Good luck.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

I went to scan the car again and received this 2 codes.

550 ECU malfunction
PO452 - Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor. Now I understand this sensor has something to do with the Fuel Tank, is it a serious issue that it's not working?

Seems like the unit I got was again faulty.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:12 AM
Teching In

Default abs

need help with my abs prob i got on the brakes on day to prevent fender bender now my abs,asr,and brake lite comes on 4 out of 5times driveing my camaro think it could b just a dirty sensor
Old 04-22-2012, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

My brakes were bad and no pressure on the pedal. I changed the Master and then I changed the whole ABS Module/Pump (Used). The lights went away and my brakes work. I been driving with these lights and no ABS for 5 years. Finally, its fixed!
Old 12-13-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Great thread fellas. Some helpful info in here.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Banned

Ive read through this thread, have browsed other forums.

I have a couple questions.

I took my ecbm off and cleaned it out, obviously took the negative terminal off of the battery, but when i reinstalled everything the lights (ABS INOP, BRAKE, ASR OFF) were off and the asr actually worked like it had when i first got the car. The ASR would kick the pedal back when traction was slick.

But to no avail the lights came back on the following day, and the ecbm code was back. I have called the junkyards and the camaro/firebird shops in the area(never knew we had them) but none of them have a used ecbm.

the only thing i have found is abs rebuild places through ebay.

What is the part number for the abs module?
Is it a bosch 5.3?

and does anyone have any recomendations of who to get it rebuilt by?
Old 12-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Banned

Also would the fact that my back right eback connector is leaking and the rubber boot covering it is gone cause this issue?
Old 01-05-2013, 06:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm having the problem as well with all three lights coming on I just going to delete abs and throw on a SJM Manufacturing delete kit see what that does. I will keep you posted on how the braking feels after the delete kit is orderd and installed.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

Thanks for the info in this thread. I'm having this problem myself, intermittently but abs inop, low trac and brake light on. I tested the rear sensors and they seem to work and I have looked at all connections. I will try to test the fronts tomorrow ad double check that the ecbm is getting power, the fuses look fine though. I even checked the brake switches but not with the volt meter but they looked/worked fine.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Location: From Massapequa, New York / Now in Southern California
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000 WS6 Formula
Top three aluminum wires were broken (2nd & 3rd photo), lights would come on after engine bay got hot. I used silver epoxy, and added silicone sealant on those three wires. No problems since, You need a steady hand and a microscope to do this.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fitz98ta
there is a ground wire (on 98's anyway) on the driverside of the radiator support that will cause all those lights to come on if not grounded properly. it is on top of the support next to the airbox.

might check that, i know i left it loose a couple times and it threw those lights on for me
Thank you. I had no idea what was wrong with mine. It was this ground.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**Disclaimer: I read the first few pages of this but not the last half, I'm just posting my results for fixing this and realize its bringing a thread back that's long dead but I feel my information is useful. So FWIW**

Car: 1999 Trans Am, A4. ABS & TCS equipped car (4ch)

Car had always had the ABS INOP/TCS OFF and intermittent BRAKE lights on since I got it. It now has 3.42's and y2k rims. The rears are three quarters of an inch larger in overall diameter. I'm telling you this just to show as proff that does not matter and is not the issue in my case.

So the first thing i did was have the car scanned with a snap on tech 2 scanner and it coded left front wheel speed sensor. I found a guy local parting out a 2002 Camaro SS (M6, 4ch car) and purchased a 50k mile hub assembly and installed it to no avail. I was frustrated to say the least but still determined to fix the problem. The next day I made the 40 minute trip again this time to get the EBCM. After 12 torx screws and a key turn the problem was solved. The ABS INOP light was off and I can now toggle TCS on/off. Going on a week now and 400 or so miles and no issues. No reprogramming from the dealer, when you plug the replacement ebcm in and turn the key on you will know if it is good or not right then.

Just my experience. Anyone can PM me with any questions, thanks.

Edit: I also had the AIR BAG light on constantly since I got the car, I just replaced the srs module to fix that

Last edited by Neenjah; 03-27-2014 at 05:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Steven503 (07-12-2020)
Old 04-03-2014, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Neenjah
**Disclaimer: I read the first few pages of this but not the last half, I'm just posting my results for fixing this and realize its bringing a thread back that's long dead but I feel my information is useful. So FWIW**

Car: 1999 Trans Am, A4. ABS & TCS equipped car (4ch)

Car had always had the ABS INOP/TCS OFF and intermittent BRAKE lights on since I got it. It now has 3.42's and y2k rims. The rears are three quarters of an inch larger in overall diameter. I'm telling you this just to show as proff that does not matter and is not the issue in my case.

So the first thing i did was have the car scanned with a snap on tech 2 scanner and it coded left front wheel speed sensor. I found a guy local parting out a 2002 Camaro SS (M6, 4ch car) and purchased a 50k mile hub assembly and installed it to no avail. I was frustrated to say the least but still determined to fix the problem. The next day I made the 40 minute trip again this time to get the EBCM. After 12 torx screws and a key turn the problem was solved. The ABS INOP light was off and I can now toggle TCS on/off. Going on a week now and 400 or so miles and no issues. No reprogramming from the dealer, when you plug the replacement ebcm in and turn the key on you will know if it is good or not right then.

Just my experience. Anyone can PM me with any questions, thanks.

Edit: I also had the AIR BAG light on constantly since I got the car, I just replaced the srs module to fix that
Pm sent

Quick Reply: Abs Inop, Brake Light, Trac Off