Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-10-2016, 03:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Abs Inop, Brake Light, Trac Off

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is doing the same thing, all 3 lights. went and bought a new ebcm this morning and replaced, now the brake light went off... but the abs inop and the asr off light are still on. the service vehicle light came on for a minute or so and then went off

My friend who is a gm tech said when the same thing happens on a truck or tahoe with an ebcm they have to reprogram it for these to go off after the swap... is this true for the f-bodies too? 02z 4ch tcs

EDIT: He is going to attempt to program my car on monday at work... I will update with results

Last edited by atxz/28maro; 01-13-2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Thats what I was told atxz/28maro from a guy I took it to at a shop. Please post them results tomorrow
I am dying to know.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mike1500
Thats what I was told atxz/28maro from a guy I took it to at a shop. Please post them results tomorrow
I am dying to know.

*Sunday update*

Went to brake check and got scanned (only place open that could do it) found no new codes, checked for stored codes and found a u1070? "loss of communication with abs module" we pulled the harness off while the battery was connected to check pins... cleared it and still had abs inop and asr off.

Called my gm buddy and he confirmed this is the same thing the trucks do when a reprogram is needed, he is picking my car up lunchtime tommorow to attempt it... will post with results
Old 01-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Hey man, when you hammer your brake pedal, Does your ABS kick in? Or do you lose control.

Originally Posted by atxz/28maro
*Sunday update*

Went to brake check and got scanned (only place open that could do it) found no new codes, checked for stored codes and found a u1070? "loss of communication with abs module" we pulled the harness off while the battery was connected to check pins... cleared it and still had abs inop and asr off.

Called my gm buddy and he confirmed this is the same thing the trucks do when a reprogram is needed, he is picking my car up lunchtime tommorow to attempt it... will post with results
Old 01-14-2008, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Seems my abs is working after some aggressive test driving, still no traction control. I apologize to everyone in anticipation but my friend did not have time to attempt to reprogram my car today.

However I went to my old high school's autotech with a genisys scanner and did a full scan (brake check guy didn't seem to know what he was doing) got a current code of c0050 "RR sensor ckt malfunction". I cleared the code and it came back immediately.

I have not had time to check the Right rear sensor out yet today but will do so soon. I assume it also needs a program from what my tech friend's research has shown... will update as I know more
Old 01-14-2008, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Default abs inop, brake, trac off

mines f....d up 2. checked it w/snap-on scanner a while back & all sensors seem 2 be working fine but i havent had time 2 really tear into it yet (just got married) i hope 2 get 2 it soon, i am very intrested 2 see what atxz/28maro finds. i also heared that the ebcm is year specific....dont know 4 sure, just what i heared, anyway good luck.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SSMikeLS1
.... i also heared that the ebcm is year specific.........
I swapped the ABS Unit I have out from another years....
Old 01-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Launching!

Hey Atxz, can you ask your buddy if a ABS unit from a 99 Camaro will end up working int a 98 Trans Am?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Hey Atxz, can you ask your buddy if a ABS unit from a 99 Camaro will end up working int a 98 Trans Am?
it won't if it's a 3ch rear module vs a 4ch rear, do you have a sensor for each wheel or one on the pumpkin?
Old 01-15-2008, 12:34 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by atxz/28maro
it won't if it's a 3ch rear module vs a 4ch rear, do you have a sensor for each wheel or one on the pumpkin?
3 channel vs 4 channel is easily distinguishable.

no traction control = 3ch
traction control cars = 4 ch

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 01-15-2008, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

ya, what i did was blew my stock 4ch rear, swapped with a 3ch rear i got for cheap, swapped over my backing plates and axles for the sensors to work, worked for awhile... then the 3 lights
Old 01-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Launching!

both my rear and ABS unit them selfs are TCS/ASR
Chevy ABS block with ASR
and Pontiac Rear with TCS
Old 01-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Launching!

So Atxz does this mean it does not need to be re programed?
Old 01-16-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

This is still going on lol. Mike just have your dad pay to get it fixed already man !
Old 01-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by minesfaster
This is still going on lol. Mike just have your dad pay to get it fixed already man !
where the **** do you get off saying this?
Old 01-16-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

wow lol
Old 01-17-2008, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by minesfaster
wow lol

update, After receiving a rr wheel speend sensor ckt malfunction I took my right rear wheel assembly apart to find the speed sensor covered in metal shavings... cleaned the whole assembly and noticed no difference for about a day and a half of driving.

Randomly I got in my car yesterday morning and everything works fine, abs/tcs all back and no lights... lasted for about 10 miles. once cycled lasted about 20 miles. nex cycle lasted about 5 miles... then my lights come back on and I lose functionality... yesterday I drove over 50 miles once with no lights. Really weird issue I assume the lights would come on immediately due to the rr wheel speed sensor. Now fixed after so many miles (or time) it refuses the ebcm eventually, I scanned when the lights come back on and no codes... indicating that it does need a reprogram. I am still going to try that to see if it will fix it permanently.

I do have to say it's weird having tcs/abs back after not having it for almost 2 yrs
Old 01-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Launching!

That is really strange
Old 01-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Teching In

My car was doing the same thing you all have described. A while back I installed lowering springs and my rotors needed replacing so after reading some posts I decided to buy Autozone rotors. I bought GM replacement pads, too. During the test drive the brakes began to shutter and all of the lights came on. I thought I had accidently disconnected a wheel speed sensor so I inspected and found the wire going to the RR wheel speed was frayed, so I thought that was to blame. I fixed the wiring and replaced the RR wheel speed sensor with no positive results. My brakes still shuttered and TCS light was still on along with ABSInop. I thought the ABS may have taken a hit from the frayed wire making contact with something. After driving like this for a while, checking the brake light bulbs and searching for a reason for this, I bought PFC pads to try to fix this issue thinking maybe the replacement pads were poor. The shuttering was better, and only occurred after hard braking. But the lights would come on ~80% time while driving. Recently, as a last ditch effort I had the rotors turned and now my brakes are smooth and no lights have come on for over a week now. So all along it was that the Autozone rotors were warped from day one. Hope this might help anyone that has replaced their rotors with quality Autozone parts. Next time I'll take the Autozone rotors straight to the brake shop to have them turned.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Ok I finall got the car lifted up a little bit and went down there with a mirror and LED light.
There are a few harnesses the one i took note of was the one the wheel speed sensors plug into, there are 2 orange tabs on a plastic line that keep them from falling away. One of those was loose but the wiring harness its self did not appear to be loose or anything..
There is also a little box with some plug into it that is a few inches towards the rear that is not affixed to a location.
It appears all wires are plugged in.
BTW I do not see anything actually plugged into my rear end.
I know the Traction control and ABS used to work like a year or so ago.
The car is a 98
I didnt read the whole thread and T/A had the same problem when i had it. All it ended up being was the kick down sensor was barley disconnected. Yea that retarded!!!

Quick Reply: Abs Inop, Brake Light, Trac Off