Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-10-2016, 03:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Abs Inop, Brake Light, Trac Off

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I replace the ABS relay and it fixed the lights, everything worked fine after that.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where is the abs relay? and what lights did u replace?
Old 05-13-2008, 06:49 AM
On The Tree

Default Abs/tcs/brake Lights

I just bought an 01 Z28 with this problem.I've had it for a couple of weeks now.The rear end was making noise when I bought it. I found a replacement and swapped it out.Lights still come one.Last weekend I reworked the brakes on the front and checked all the connections.I replaced the burned out third brake light bulbs and checked for codes.No codes and the lights still come on at the same spot every morning on the way to work.I drive about 3 miles through town to get to the freeway and the lights stay off.As soon as I get up on the freeway and reach about 70mph all the lights come on. Same thing on the way home. Off untill I get on the freeway. I noticed that on the weekends just cruising around town at slower speeds the lights will stay off for long periods of time. I have the stock size tires all the way around also.I've checked the brake fluid level and made sure the float inside the master cylinder reservoir isn't stuck. I'm going on a road trip over the holiday weekend and I'd like to figure this out so my cruise control will work.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camaroz87
my passenger side headers burnt the wires for the front abs or wheel speed sensor and all 3 lights used to come on every day after a few minutes of driving check any burnt wires from headers or manifolds
i just installed my headers and am now getting abs inop asr off. i am thinking that this is my problem as its the logical explanation. how do you go about fixing this issue? any pics or detailed info on the matter? thanks man.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How about a part number for the rear speed sensor the one that goes on the rear end please.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Launching!

Update finally, Ok here it goes fella's. Had my buddy tear into mine (he works at a gm dealership) and here's what we got. The tech 2 was finding a code for right front anad rear wheel speed sensor which were all replaced. Still the abs inop light was on, Turns out for what ever reason the wires running to the rear and right were frayed somewhere so he made a harness spliced from the abs module to each front wheel and the rear. Now I have front abs no problem but the light is on b/c he had to disconnect the rear b/c the car went in limp mode (speedo not working, car not shifting properly etc) but the abs was working. This was b/c my pcm is out of a tcs car and my car is a non tcs car, Now tomorrow evening he is going to make another harness to bypass this issue (I'm totally lost there) but will have him brake the details down and if it works I'll post the results here. Hope this helps.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:02 AM
On The Tree

Doesn't help me any but thanks for the update. Mine is all stock and I'm still having this problem. I ordered both front wheel bearing/hub assemblies a few days ago. If they come in before the weekend, I'm going to replace them. I know the right front one seemed a little too stiff last time I had the calipers and rotors off. Now it seems to be making a little noise at high speed. If that doesn't fix it I'm not sure what else to check. The only thing left is the ABS module itself.
Update......replaced the front hubs and still have the lights. All wheel sensors have been changed, all 4 tires are the same size,all bulbs are working, all connectors are plugged in, all fuses are good. Only thing I haven't done is check all the wires for continuity and replaced the ABS module. Any other components that will cause these light to come on? I'm going to Indy this month and would really like to get this fixed so my cruise control will work.

Last edited by txturbo; 08-30-2008 at 05:42 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Now I'm having this problem. Low trac and ABS inop op came on and won't turn off after I spun the tires in the rain? They turn off every once and a while but come back on. Gonna hook up a scan tool and see what I find.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Check your tire height...ie front and back. If they're offset in height it will throw all three lights. The system is thinking it's slipping due to the different rotation speed from front to back.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Launching!

Txturbo, I would try taking it to brake check or mieneke and have them hook up a tech II to it and take it from there (it's free too) if that does not help, try replacing the wire from the wheel hub to the module itself (wire is maybe all of 10 inches each side and you grab one from any pic ur part or dealer. If all else fails you might wanna look at replacing the module itself. If you do make sure its for a tcs car 4 channel IF YOUR CAR IS A TCS, and 3 channel if your car is not tcs. As far as mine is concerned my rear wiring that connects to the wiring that goes to the abs is unique and so far none of the colors are matching, My buddy tried guessing it out but the car is reading the rear tires spinning faster than the fronts and this is causing the abs inop to come on. My tires are 255 40 R 17 in front and 265 40 R 17 in the rear I'm out of ideas again I guess.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Launching!

My **** is all screwed up now lol, My car is not equipped w/traction control but when I lock up the brakes the rears lock and the low traction lights up on my dash. I know for an absolute fact too my car is not a tcs car. I dunno wtf at this point?????
Old 09-12-2008, 12:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem!

I bought a used wiring harness and ABS sensor (the one that goes on top of the 10 bolt) from another member on the board and installed it. It didn't go away until I pulled the drivers side rear wheel and noticed that the sensor wasn't IN all the way even with the 10mm bolt tightened. So I pushed it in a little further and drove it a bit and the ABS INOP light is finally gone after nearly A YEAR! good luck to the rest of you.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:59 PM
Teching In

ok guys ive been reading this awhile and i 2 have had the very same problem but i did solve mine ok mine i swapped all my sensors abs block the module cleaned rear sensor blah blah blah and couldnt figure it out i was ready to light a match to it all however try this if your car says it not communicating with module first off check the grounds by radiator if they are good you can check the pins on the wiring harness side of the module with a est light that would be your hott then check the grounded side of your module by reversing the process with the test light if that checks out the sensor on the side of your master cylinder with the 2 prong plug make sure it is fastened snug and cleaned that is actually what was throwing my brake light your service vehicle light may be alot smaller issue than you think my serice vehicle was thrown because a bulb in my dash was blown so i used hp tuners by the way to help trouble shoot and the abs inop light went out when i bought a new block and module from a salvage yard from the same year car as mine and it did not have to be reprogrammed i assure you of that i hope you guys can resolve issues with yours if you do not wish to fix only make the lights go away there is a system jump you can perform with a wire or paperclip to make the lights go off if any of you are interested in that method let me know and i will post its like pin 7 to pin 12 andso on you have to make 2 jumps for sure i just dont remember which ones exactly i hope some of this may help out............................ i can find out the right pins to jump but i wouldnt recomend it id just fix it right and be done with it............
Old 02-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Launching!

i have this problem too, i did a cam and headers like the day after buying the car so its been this way as long as i've owned the car, i will try kellylmann says. i would love to have everything working. it funny, most of us drag race our cars and alot of us have problems with our brakes. hmmm not to smart. but im guilty of it too
Old 07-27-2009, 11:45 PM
Teching In

Default Time Is Running Out

I have the same issue with Abs Inop, Brake Light, Trac Off lights. In the mornings it seems to take about 10 to 15 minutes before they'll light up. All 3 come on at the same time. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the engine reaching its normal running temp or not. I live in Dallas, and in the afternoons after we've has a few 101, 102 temp days... the 3 lights come on when I start it. Inspection is up next month, and she won’t pass with the Brake light lit. I took it to a GM shop and they said it was the EBCM. $1,500 to fix. They did tell me it was safe to drive though, I just won’t have ABS.

Does anyone know of a site that shows how to replace the EBCM? I’ve got a 98 Trans AM and am thinking about scouring the salvage yards for one.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

I autocrossed yesterday and was hard on the brakes over some bumps in the slow down area - the ABS INOP, low traction, and brake light were on as I went back to the grid. I shut off and started it up for the next run, and all was back to normal - I didn't mash the brakes in the slow down after this (wasn't really necessary anyway). Is it normal to lose ABS during hard braking (even if over an uneven surface)? Just weird.... Thanks!
Old 12-31-2009, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Ok, same issues, But I think I found my problem. I thought it was a busted Wheel Sensor (front left) because part of the sensor that the wires plug into, was cracked. Still having issues with light coming on and it my brakes shutter when I'm doing more than 15mph it seems like. I don't have a traction control button, but the "low trac" light comes on from time to time. I've checked each of the rear wheels and it doesn't look like there are sensors on them. I've got a 12-bolt rear from Strange Engineering. The only thing I found was a nut on the top of the diff with a bolt coming threw it. There are two wires coming off of the top. One of which is no longer connected, one of which is. I've got a pic of it. I traced the wires back from the diff and they plug into one of 4 plugs attatched to the back side of the back seats. It is the Bottom left plug I believe. It's a plug that could have 4 wires coming from it, but only uses 2. I'm assuming this is the 3-channel setup. The other 3 plugs go to the top of the gas tank, I'm assuming for the fuel pump.

My question, Is this nut/bolt infact my rear wheel sensor? If so, does a Strange 12-bolt use a different sensor than the stock 10-bolt? I tried calling their number, but they are closed until Monday. I'd like this fixed sooner if I can. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:15 AM
TECH Regular

I still have ABS INOP light, TCS wont toggel on or off ( it stays off ) and my BRAKE light will come on about about 2 minutes of the car being on.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

My issue with this has been going on for 3+years and counting.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:53 AM

Default I have the same problem please let me know if you find something

i have the same problem? sometimes the lights turn off in cold weather. my car also sways and pulls it also feels like a tire is not balanced but not all the time. if i have it floored and let off the gas all the way the rear pulls almost uncontrolable. Im gonna take it to the dealer when i get a chance. i think it is the abs computer the price is $1500 and the dealer is the only place that seems to have it.

Quick Reply: Abs Inop, Brake Light, Trac Off