50.79%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

ABS delete...yes or no

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bzettler83
For those of you who have removed ABS what are you going to do when you need to slam the brakes and turn... this is where I find ABS to be a benefit. In the staights you can prob save a few feet by removing ABS but when you really need to avoid a situation and put the brakes to the test and TURN you will wish you hadent removed the ABS...

Plus who cares about 15lbs.... Just run a few gallons less gas or get on an agressive diet...

Im not going to remove my ABS but hey thats me
Driver skill will ALWAYS trump electronic bandaids. Learn to drive and you'll be far better off than relying on ABS.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bzettler83
For those of you who have removed ABS what are you going to do when you need to slam the brakes and turn... this is where I find ABS to be a benefit. In the staights you can prob save a few feet by removing ABS but when you really need to avoid a situation and put the brakes to the test and TURN you will wish you hadent removed the ABS...

Plus who cares about 15lbs.... Just run a few gallons less gas or get on an agressive diet...

Im not going to remove my ABS but hey thats me
I hear what you're saying. Obviously removing it would not be for you as you depend on it. The problem is when you're altering your car as most do on the boards ABS may not work as it's design intent. When you then rely on it...it may not work as you wished it had...

Is your car 3 or 4 channel ABS? Do you rely on traction control as well? I feel it is in a similar category regarding aiding in your driving ability. Earlier 4th generation ABS systems were worse then newer. 3 channel ABS is rather poor and doesn't really address well what you're considered.

I've addressed some of the benefits above...weight savings was only one of them. Once again modifying the car with performance enhancements aren't
for everyone...some rather leave their car stock which is perfectly fine.

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 03-26-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

have some pictures of the installed kit? i made my custom line lock set up if you remember (https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/759365-line-lock-question.html) and was wondering what would work for me.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to see some installed pics also. The more I think about this, the more I want to do it. Especially since I'm looking in to putting CTS-V calipers all the way around.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Launching!

It would be interesting to see the how an insurance company might react if you were in an accident and the claims adjuster noticed "hhhmmmm did this guy do away with his ABS?".....could they deny coverage based on that? That argument could be made for every non stock part on the car, I realize this. But I know I get small discounts for airbags, ABS etc. etc.? Curiousity, that's all

To answer the post, I would first make sure the brakes are 100%. Then decide to remove the ABS. I wouldn't remove the ABS in fear it might cover another underlying problem. Another thing so consider is the with the adjustable valve, unless its in the passenger compartment, you will likely adjust it once and never touch it ever again. I can't see very many people swapping the skinnies, tuning the brake proportioning, going for a blast getting out, tweaking some more, another blast, getting out tuning some more.......then going back the other way when the DD wheels go back on. You could probably count turns or make marks or something, but unless its at your finger tips it probably won't happen.

I have C5 brakes up front, 3 channel 12-bolt out back no traction control and the only time my abs light came on was at the track, usually at the end of a couple runs in quick succession. I don't think I have ever felt the abs, even when auto crossing.

Last edited by 1QWIKBIRD; 03-26-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:11 PM
FormerVendor

The stock brakes will function as normal. Actually, you'll have the ability for more control regarding brake bias due to an inline adjustable proportioning valve unlike the stock setup which relied on the ABS modulator.

Reject, you've made a one-off install. Give me a call if you would like to discuss your particular situation further. I may be able to help.

Here's one of our kits installed on an F-body.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:20 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1QWIKBIRD
It would be interesting to see the how an insurance company might react if you were in an accident and the claims adjuster noticed "hhhmmmm did this guy do away with his ABS?".....could they deny coverage based on that? That argument could be made for every non stock part on the car, I realize this. But I know I get small discounts for airbags, ABS etc. etc.? Curiousity, that's all

To answer the post, I would first make sure the brakes are 100%. Then decide to remove the ABS. I wouldn't remove the ABS in fear it might cover another underlying problem. ..... I don't think I have ever felt the abs, even when auto crossing.
If you've never felt ABS, you've never used it and you'd never miss it. Regarding insurance companies...my feeling is if you're being picked apart regarding removing ABS, you're going to get hit with the same problem that you've completly altered your braking system using non OEM components which are not approved for your car.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
If you've never felt ABS, you've never used it and you'd never miss it. Regarding insurance companies...my feeling is if you're being picked apart regarding removing ABS, you're going to get hit with the same problem that you've completly altered your braking system using non OEM components which are not approved for your car.
If my abs acted up, it be gone. No doubt. But I would first be sure it was the ABS module causing the problem, that's all.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

yank it. A) looks better B) the ABS systems from GM are crap anyways. they don't work properly and like said above can be costly to repair if they break/fail.

did it when doing my motor swap. won't go back.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jRaskell
Driver skill will ALWAYS trump electronic bandaids. Learn to drive and you'll be far better off than relying on ABS.
LOL Look at nascar they dont have abs hell old dirt cars i used to race didnt have ABS and i didnt have any problems.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is mine installed.. Its been 2 years I think and I have had no problems with it.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

That does clean up the engine bay a lot. How do the brakes feel?

My low trac light has been coming on too...I don't have traction control! What's up with that?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

does this delete kit mess with the tcs system at all and if i do have tcs is that a 4 ch i'll be looking into one of these come spring i hate abs and have never had it go off in my TA only in my winter beater on ice
Old 03-28-2008, 11:38 AM
FormerVendor

Brakes should feel no different then they felt at stock. You do have the ability to improve brake performance with the adjustable proportioning valve as you'll have control to biasing the front/rear brakes with the kit.

TCS will be deactivated...something most do not like either. If you have TCS, removing it as well will take a total of ~20lbs out of the engine bay and further clean up clutter. If your car has TCS or had TCS, then you need to choose the 4 channel setup upon checkout.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yea i'm not a fan of the tcs system either i keep forgeting to turn it off when i go to the track nothing looks worse then popping hte clutch at the track for a burn out and it doens't move
Old 03-28-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

but man Steve those valve covers look bitchin'!
Old 03-28-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Brakes should feel no different then they felt at stock. You do have the ability to improve brake performance with the adjustable proportioning valve as you'll have control to biasing the front/rear brakes with the kit.
That's my problem...my brakes feel like ****. I'm assuming it's because the abs is acting up. It keeps saying the rear sensor isn't working...but I've changed it.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:44 PM
FormerVendor

It's too hard to diagnose over the internet. I'd suggest taking it either to the dealer and have it repaired if it's important for you to retain ABS...Sensors aren't too expensive, but if it's the actual modulator control unit it's going to cost you quite a bit of money to repair.

You can delete it as well. There will be one less thing you'll have to diagnose on your car.

It all comes down to how important it is to keep the ABS system on your car. I can tell suggest to you our kit will not diminish normal braking performance as you used to have.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the info. It's not THAT important for me to keep the ABS. The more I drive it and think about it, the more I want to delete it. How does your kit install exactly? Do I cut and flare the lines that come up from the calipers and then plumb them into the prop valve?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

abs could save your life one day.

Quick Reply: ABS delete...yes or no