Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Budget shock advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 05:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget shock advice

Hello,

My question is this. I have a 2002 Camaro Z28 Convertible with 80,000 miles on the stock suspension.
About 5,000 Miles ago I installed C6 Z06 Corvette Wheels front and rear 18 an 19 inches respectively.
While I love the look of the new wheels they have brought to light how worn the OEM shocks have become.
I am going to be installing some sub frame connectors and adjustable lower control arms on next 3 day weekend I have.
Anyone have an opinion on the KYB monotube shocks? Any other budget priced alternatives that you can suggest.

This is a sometime DD sometime weekend toy car that sees little to no track use.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Launching!

Around here the consensus is that if you can't afford top-of-the-line Konis, the distant second shock is KYB AGX (not their gas-adjust) shock. A close third would be the Tokio HP shocks. Anything other than those 3 (I'm excluding drag shocks) doesn't offer so much performance benefit over stock to justify the money.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At one point a lot of people were recommending Bilstein HD's, but I guess there's some issue with them being out of stock.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

bilstein HDs were designed for comfortable ride, not handling ability and are only to be used with stock ride height.

they are a decent shock, but you can't get them anywhere.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Junkie

I ran KYB GasAJust shocks for a while and didn't like them, but I used them with lowered (higher-rate) springs. I bought them when I bought my Hotchkis springs, so as not to put new high-rate springs on with 70,000 mile shocks. They simply weren't able to keep up with the springs. The ride was very "floaty", almost like driving a boat. I ended up buying a set of Koni SA's and never looked back.

What are your goals for the car? Do you have any other suspension mods? If you're going to drag race, you'll want a different shock than someone who road races.

-Mike
Old 05-19-2008, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks to those who have replied,

Specifically what I am looking to do is choose a spring and shock combination that will exceed the performance of the OEM suspension.

I am trying to build a well balanced car that performs well both in a drag race as well as in the corners.

I understand to achieve that balance compromises have to be made the same as the OEM did.

However I am not nearly as concerned with a compliant smooth ride as they had to be to keep the public happy.

I have changed the parameters of the vehicle so it’s not much of a surprise the OEM suspension isn’t up to the task anymore.

The motor is makes over one hundred more horses then it did when it left the dealer with another one hundred or so available in a bottle.

The wheel and tire combination has change dramatically from 245/60/16 all the way around to 275/35/18 fronts and 295/30/19 rears.

Sub frames are going to be tied together and adjustable lower control arms installed.

Currently the OEM suspension exhibits wheel hop under hard acceleration that I hope the LCAs with help correct.

Moderate brake dive I attribute to the worn OEM shocks and general sense of vagueness almost a floating feeling not unlike driving a full size car from the 70s.

I would also like a drop of one inch to one and half inches to cosmetically compliment the new wheels and tires.

I want the car to feel “tight” and respond quickly to steering inputs without being “twitchy” I want the car to feel planted and stable able to hold a line.

I prefer a car the might exhibit some under steer but with the throttle is easy to modulate between under steer and throttle induced over steer.

I understand that this a tall order even more so considering the term “Budget”.

Reading over my post I realize that I probably have not done a very good job explaining what I want but I wish to thank you for taking the time to read it and offering any suggestions you might have.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by popinsmoke
Thanks to those who have replied,

Specifically what I am looking to do is choose a spring and shock combination that will exceed the performance of the OEM suspension.

I am trying to build a well balanced car that performs well both in a drag race as well as in the corners.

I understand to achieve that balance compromises have to be made the same as the OEM did.

However I am not nearly as concerned with a compliant smooth ride as they had to be to keep the public happy.

I have changed the parameters of the vehicle so it’s not much of a surprise the OEM suspension isn’t up to the task anymore.

The motor is makes over one hundred more horses then it did when it left the dealer with another one hundred or so available in a bottle.

The wheel and tire combination has change dramatically from 245/60/16 all the way around to 275/35/18 fronts and 295/30/19 rears.

Sub frames are going to be tied together and adjustable lower control arms installed.

Currently the OEM suspension exhibits wheel hop under hard acceleration that I hope the LCAs with help correct.

Moderate brake dive I attribute to the worn OEM shocks and general sense of vagueness almost a floating feeling not unlike driving a full size car from the 70s.

I would also like a drop of one inch to one and half inches to cosmetically compliment the new wheels and tires.

I want the car to feel “tight” and respond quickly to steering inputs without being “twitchy” I want the car to feel planted and stable able to hold a line.

I prefer a car the might exhibit some under steer but with the throttle is easy to modulate between under steer and throttle induced over steer.

I understand that this a tall order even more so considering the term “Budget”.

Reading over my post I realize that I probably have not done a very good job explaining what I want but I wish to thank you for taking the time to read it and offering any suggestions you might have.
I know exactly what you're talking about, and honestly if you want that kind of control invest in the Koni SA's, they are a steal for how much they change the car.
The sentence I put in bold describes to a key how my car felt with just the konis and nothing else.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if those characteristics are what you are looking for, shocks are not the place to go budget.

Koni is what you want. Try using the koni on lower perch with stock springs to save you some $$, this will also help in drag racing as oposed to lowering springs.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

You need to know what you want to effect in the car, and what parts get that job done. The biggest complaints folks have are that the car is sloppy, won't a set, isn't stable, bad impact harshness, lack of roll and pitch control (rate too high). Those are all shock controlled things.

Yes, I understand budgets. I also know that many folks are left with too little to spend on good dampers because they buy 3 other things that are often no help.

Identify the problem, fix it accordingly. All the chassis stiffening in the world won't help a lack of damping.... chassis is not suspension.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Budget shock advice