Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

front end clunking when brakes applied....

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default front end clunking when brakes applied....

ok so run down of brand new parts....
tubular k member
a arms lower with rod ends uppers with derlin bushings
solid swaybar
koni adjustables
LG springs

everything is tight and the noises werent there when i first started driving now they are here and getting worse... it happens when im going foward or backward an i step on the brakes. noise only comes from front end and it clunks so bad i can feel it not just hear it. i woud say ball joint but they are brand new Moog joints installed byspohn so how the hell would it be those? the only thing old on my car are the tie rods which if it were those it wouldbe making the noise when i turn the wheel and it makes no noise even at stand still. what the hell is going on? ive spent soo much money just to have these stupid prblems...
Old 08-01-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

read this thread possibly the same problem with solution
I had the same issue as well
https://ls1tech.com/forums/northwest-members/954207-clunking-brakes.html
Old 08-01-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the thread I'm gonna check my calipers when I get Home. Sounds like a good possibility hopefully that's just my problem. I know I did everything else and may have overlooked trqing down My Caliper bolts
Old 08-02-2008, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok well checked the brakes and everything was/is tight. man this is getting annoying. ive triedpushing down on the suspensin while car is just sitting there and i dont get any noise, maybe im not pushing hard enough but its solid so i cant. could it just be my tie rods?? i mean like i said there are no noises turning the wheel just when im moving and press the brakes....
Old 06-08-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

ahhhh bringing this back.... ive lived with this problem now for a year and it seems to just be getting worse. like i said in the first post my entire front end k member and all is new and all bolts are tight. i get this clunking noise as i turn the wheel left or right when either moving very slowly or just sitting there. i cant really feel the noise in the steering wheel or anywhere beside what seems to fell like the chassis.

after reading some other thread with a similar noise that was blamed on the factory k member im starting to really panic and think maybe a weld on my SPOHN k member is broken and causeing the k member to flex as i turn the wheel. if this is so then my entire front end package from Spohn is ABSOLUTE **** (front lower a arms shock mounts are BENT) and i will be extremely pissed off. time to go look...
Old 06-30-2009, 03:50 AM
Teching In

Update???
Old 06-30-2009, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

The single tube tubular k-members can be kinda weak even for just daily driving.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Only thing I can think of right now since you checked your brakes and you say everything else is tight would be that possibly the rubber mount in the strut mount is coming apart. Might be worth checking.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Launching!

I installed a set of Strano springs and Koni 4/4s this past weekend, along with a full set of UMI rear suspension components, and I too am getting a "thud" sounds of sorts whenever my car comes to a stop. Do you notice the knocking sound as soon as you hit the brakes? I notice mine only just after I stop, when the weight of the car is transferring rearward, not simply when the brakes are applied. For that reason, I don't suspect it being my brakes, as I didn't mess with them at all throughout the recent install. I haven't noticed the sound occurring on takeoff. I purchased and installed a poly transmission mount to see if it might cure it, but haven't driven the car yet to see if it has. I originally feared that I may not have tightened the front shock nuts down enough, but have since figured if that was the case, the car would be making heinous noises whenever I hit a bump, not just when coming to a complete stop.

I let a local F-body guru take my car for a drive, and according to him, the thud I'm experiencing is completely normal (although I sure didn't notice it before). His reasoning is that between the shocks, springs, and suspension mods, the car will transfer more sounds from the brakes, among other things. If he says its normal, I'm not in a position to question his reasoning, but maybe because I don't have experience with lowered F-bodies, to me that noise doesn't seem normal. Will update you when I drive the car to see if the tranny mount may have taken it away.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

It's definitely not normal if the front coilover assembly is making clunking noises. Something is either broken or not installed right.

My car clunks but it's coming from the rear. I have another problem back there though. Finding the source of clunks is a lot of "fun"
Old 06-30-2009, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Finding the source of clunks is a lot of "fun"
A Blast! Ive got a similar noise coming from the rear just as i apply the brakes at slower speeds (5-15mph) moving forward. gonna check the calipers tonite, hope thats it!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sometimes rear area "clunks" can be from worn exhuast mounts. They're relatively easy to check and cheap and easy to replace if it's the cause.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Regular

I've had minor clunking in the front end post SLP/Bilstein install. Upper shock bolts were double checked and found to be tight, I've suspected the front brake pads were moving a little bit within the caliper so I live with it. A much louder clunk manifested itself and was loudest during braking or going up my driveway. Turned out my battery tray was broken and the battery was flopping around unrestrained! While swapping my dead battery for a new one I let the new one "drop" into place and broke the battery tray (coolant recovery bottle) securing block. A cool $85 later and a more gentle install of the battery and I am back to the occasional, quiet clunk/click.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:24 AM
Launching!

Well got the car back on the road, completely went through everything I installed to make sure it was all tight and torqued to spec, which everything was. Installed the poly transmission mount as well, sans preload plate and with the nubs ground down. The clunk/thud sound remains, still only when coming to a complete stop. I slammed on the brakes doing 80 mph, no heinous or unfamiliar noises occurred, until the car came to a dead stop; clunk occurred on weight transfer again. Maybe it really is normal?
Old 10-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Check your front sway bar bushings since it seems to be only during weight transfer.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:07 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

Did anyone else notice that there are a lot of non stock, presumably rod-ended type parts like A-arms and LCA's etc on these cars? Rod-ends will make some noise, nature of the beast.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-17-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by csxfbird
Well got the car back on the road, completely went through everything I installed to make sure it was all tight and torqued to spec, which everything was. Installed the poly transmission mount as well, sans preload plate and with the nubs ground down. The clunk/thud sound remains, still only when coming to a complete stop. I slammed on the brakes doing 80 mph, no heinous or unfamiliar noises occurred, until the car came to a dead stop; clunk occurred on weight transfer again. Maybe it really is normal?
Did you check your LCAs? I had this exact problem and it was the lower control arms.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

They make a tool called the "chassis ear." I know Ford dealerships have them, so if you have a buddy who works at a Ford dealer, maybe they will let you borrow it. Other dealers may have them as well.

Also, on this brake thing, I have ran into this once before and it sounds exactly what you are describing. If your pads can move in the retainer bracket, they can make a clunking sound when being moved back and forth. Make some slow speed maneuvers. Go forward about 5-10 mph, and stop. Then go backwards 5-10 mph and stop. Do that about 2-3 times. and see if the noise happens each time. If so, it's probably just the pads moving.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Did anyone else notice that there are a lot of non stock, presumably rod-ended type parts like A-arms and LCA's etc on these cars? Rod-ends will make some noise, nature of the beast.
Yeah, but we do not know exactly what the noise is cause we can't hear it. We're only going by what the guy is telling us.

Quick Reply: front end clunking when brakes applied....