extent of inspection in Texas.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default extent of inspection in Texas.

My brother from Texas is currently serving in Iraq but I am picking up a 2000 T/A WS6 6-speed for him this week. The car currently is in need of a couple of cats, at least one of them is cracked. The car has 127k on it. Anyway, I was considering having some of those dummy cats put on it before he gets home but don't know if it will pass inspection. As of now the car has a lid and flowmaster with a cut-out and has 2 bad O2 sensors. Any help and advice would be appreciated. I don't think the car has been tuned.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as far as i know, obd2 cars are not subject to the sniffer. last time i got inspected, they just checked the headlights/brakelights, the horn, hooked it up to the computer and all that. so you should get away with bad cats/o2s so long as they are not throwing an engine code. if you dont feel like throwing the money into it, you can have the rear o2's tuned out so it'll never throw a code. you cannot do this for the primary o2's though, i believe
Old 02-27-2010, 05:07 PM
12 Second Club

If you have 2 bad o2s and thats all it should pass 3 or more well not pass you need to have it tested 1st if you know someone that can
Old 02-27-2010, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks Jake. It's good to know.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Formula98ramair
If you have 2 bad o2s and thats all it should pass 3 or more well not pass you need to have it tested 1st if you know someone that can
thats if the check engine light is off. You are thinking of emission ready codes. If one O2 is out, usually it throws a code. There is no sniffer test on 96+ cars. You can put dummy cats in the y pipe and some kind of rear O2 MIL eliminators or simulators.

If the car is registered in a rural county, they only do safety checks and is like 12.50 or 14.50, cannot remember exactly. If it is Houston or Dallas or San Antonio, big cities, etc, then it will require visual safety and emissions test via OBDII, and a 39.50 price tag.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:32 PM
11 Second Club

thanks guys. He lives in South West Texas on an Army Base. Not sure which one. The bad O2's will be replaced or tuned out prior to inspection and the cats either replaced with cats or fake cats that are straight piped. I saw an ad on here through a sponsor for fake ones that don't look very real to me due to the lack of seams a one-piece construction, but I don't know how close they look at them? If there is a visual check for them maybe he is better off to hollow out some factory ones and straight pipe them. I don't know. Any ideas? The check engine light is on due to the bad O2's and a bad fuel level sending unit. They won't care about the fuel level sensor.. right??
Old 02-27-2010, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Formula98ramair
I think its two or more and not 3. I had 2 and it didn't pass.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by prokilllsx
thanks guys. He lives in South West Texas on an Army Base. Not sure which one. The bad O2's will be replaced or tuned out prior to inspection and the cats either replaced with cats or fake cats that are straight piped. I saw an ad on here through a sponsor for fake ones that don't look very real to me due to the lack of seams a one-piece construction, but I don't know how close they look at them? If there is a visual check for them maybe he is better off to hollow out some factory ones and straight pipe them. I don't know. Any ideas? The check engine light is on due to the bad O2's and a bad fuel level sending unit. They won't care about the fuel level sensor.. right??
mil must be off, blinkers work, no cracked lens, bulbs, functional wiper blades with no tears more than in inch, horn blows, parking brake works and holds vehicle, no exhaust leaks, rear view mirrors are good, tires more than 3/32 tread depth and nothing causing vehicle saftey issues. The fake cats would be more than enough for any inspection shop. Most techs dint know what egr and air systems look like anyway, much less to tell if it is there.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
mil must be off.
What's a "mil"?
Old 02-28-2010, 02:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

malfunction indicator light, aka check engine light.