Any veteran fisherman here?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 12:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any veteran fisherman here?

So I went fishing with a buddy yesterday and loved it. Before that, I hadn't been fishing in about 12 years. I used to go with my grandfather all the time, so I would use his equipment. I want to make it more of a regular thing so I have a day to just chill out and relax with some friends.

We went out to Bolivar Peninsula and fished all day. We got a FEW decent catches, but mostly caught small perch and Dogfish. (Btw, the absolute UGLIEST fish I've ever seen in my life.)

I was wanting to get my own equipment, and I was wondering if you guys could recommend a good rod and reel, good line, and whatever else I may need. We'll most likely just fish from the shore, so we'll be shooting for speckled trout and redfish. Also, what bait is good? We started off with live shrimp, but then I switched over to squid, and every two minuted I was getting a bite. They just seemed to steal my bait a lot...
Old 09-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Banned

What's your budget?
Old 09-21-2012, 01:09 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Deerhunter-Z28
What's your budget?
To be honest, I don't really have one. But I don't want the best of the best, as this is just recreational, and I'm not a pro fisherman or anything.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

I'd like to get in to it with my sons. This would be helpfull for me as well. What kind of budget is needed? I'm not wanting to drop 10k on stuff but 1500 wouldn't be out of the question
Old 09-21-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's some good bass spots out in clear lake, my friends went out before the cold front came through and got 7 bull reds in a couple of hours.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:53 PM
ppp
Launching!

i use a shimano calcutta 150 on a custom castaway, tout-tail casting 7.5' rod. $450

depends on if you like a spinning reel or a bait-casting reel, if you are gonna be fishing for drum, trout, cat fish, perch....

cant go wrong with shimano reels.

rods: castaway, loomis, ugly stick, waterloo..... find one that fits the type of fishing you will be doing and what type of fish you are fishing for.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Let me know when i havent been in a while been wanting to go but nobody ever wants to go they say its boring. I usually just do pier fishing i use abu garcia reels
Old 09-21-2012, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

I fish real simple. For catching small fish to use for cut bait, I use a small spincast reel on a 8 foot 2 piece rod. Nothing more than $50 bucks for this setup. I usually seem to have great luck on the pier (Galveston Fishing Pier on Seawall and 91st.....galvestonfishingpier.com) catching the smaller fish. I use a small double hook leader with a 1 ounce weight and use very small hooks. One of the biggest mistakes is that people want to catch small fish, but the hook is too big for the fish's mouth. I catch croaker, sand trout, piggy perch as cut bait for the big rig.

My big rig is an Offshore Angler setup from Bass Pro Shop, which is a 9, 9.5, or 10 foot rod with a big spincast reel. Just put on some 30 lb test line and you're ready. I use a piano wire leader with a place for 2 big hooks and one big weight. Take a piece of sand trout, croaker, or piggy perch, and cast that bad boy out. Sooner or later something big may hit this setup. I've caught some nice shark and bull reds off this pier using the setup from Bass Pro Shops that I linked below. It's enough rod and reel to handle 95% of the fish and/or stingrays you will run into, for around $100. Pretty soon the bull reds will start running and fun times will be had.

You don't need to spend a lot of money to have good equipment. The rod and reel I linked to is made for salt water fishing and is heavy duty, and at <$100, it won't break your bank account.

http://www.basspro.com/Offshore-Angl...product/76025/

Last edited by old_goat; 09-21-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:54 PM
9 Second Club

Lol, sounds like we need an ls1tech fishing day. Just fishing, drinking, and car talk.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Launching!

i live in the beaumont area. saltwater and freshwater fish. for bass, reds, speck, flounder you can just go to acadamy walmart get you a good abu bait caster, im not a fan of the ambassaders though, alot are. a abu bait caster will run around 80-100 bucks and a good medium heavy rod will run around 75-100. def not the best but this is what ive always use and i fish alot. fishing line i just use 12-14 lbs. mostly 12 more of a challenge having to use the drag. bait live shrimp frozen shrimp. finger mullet. squid. frozen shrimp fishing on the bottom you will catch alot of croaker. not to many like them, but they are apart of the red family catch some big enough makes for a good fish fry. live shrimp you can use a speck rig fishing on the top with a cork or a poper type cork. or you can always use the spoon or almost any artificial. hope this helps some. glad to hear you getting back into fishing one of my favorite past times helps with stress and life in general.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Launching!

rod length 6.5 -7 ft. if you are going for the bigger fish though you will need a bigger set up. costs alot more. im not too familiar with the off shore rigs.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

fished all my life, 95% freshwater. i dont spend crazy money on it, id say (50-100) for a rod reel setup is fine for starting. prob dont need to spend big money unless you start fishing deep sea..
Old 09-22-2012, 09:12 AM
TECH Veteran

I was in your shoes last year, my buddy got me re-started in it. I don't have a huge budget, but don't think you necessarily need to to catch fish. Don't be afraid to get in the water and wade, some of the best fishing is wading the shore and back bays.

I fish with a Castaway Go2 Rod-7' with a Penn Fierce 4000 spinning reel, got the rod on sale last year at academy for $40 bucks, normally $100. Total setup cost me less than $100. I also carry a spare rod that is much cheaper but I actually prefer it. Its a Tournament Choice (Academy Special) 6'6" split grip rod, spent $15 on it. Have a Shimano reel on it, but will eventually upgrade to another Penn Battle 4000 reel for it too. Its a light weight rod, quick action, and have caught plenty of redfish and flounder with it, even pulled in a 50# stingray with it. I run braid on both my reels.

Live bait, live shrimp and mullet of shad. We will usually buy some shrimp, and then cast net for some mullet or shad. I also like to fish artificial in the shallows and along the shoreline or in a marshy area. Gulp Shrimp always works, but there are others that I use.

Oh and there is some good information and forum on 2coolfishing.com Its a texas based board. I've learned a lot on there, though alot of people have a lot bigger budget to fish than I do on that site and like to think that you can only catch fish on a custom built rod/reel package.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:10 AM
9 Sec. Club!!!

G-Loomis Rods with Abu Garcia STX reels
Old 09-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Banned

Every fisherman will have a different opinion. Since you are just starting I wouldn't invest a hell of a lot. A rod like a 6'9" all star fast medium is a good all around rod for what it sounds like you will be doing. I think they are around $40. For a reel I've really heard good things about the bass pro h2o series reels if you are on a budget. If you really get into it you can step your game up, I have a rod/reel for every bait I want to throw, live, plastics, topwaters etc. My favorite rod is probably my American rodsmith h3 titanium and I use Garcia and shimano reels

As far as bait I would say live shrimp is the best all around live bait under a good popping cork setup. Another poster said he wanted to get his sons into it, definitely stick with live bait, you might see a lot of trash fish but you'll always get action with live shrimp.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

head over to http://www.fishingtackleunlimited.com/ (FTU is just down the street from you 45s @ BW8) and take a look around. They have good deals on bad *** setups. Ask around the store, tell them exactly what you intend this first setup to be used for and they will assist.

for my light tackle setup, i have a Penn Battle 4k or 6k that can be used inshore (salt) or freshwater spooled with some nice 20lb braid matched with a generic rod i had in the garage, probably an old ugly stick or something similar.

There are tons of setups out there, best to do some research and ask more questions. Check out www.2coolfishing.com as well.

Edit: there are tons of great lures you can use for Reds and Specks, along with the fresh dead or live baits. I hear that artificial Shrimps under a cork work wonders in the shallow areas, but i havent fished galveston in years. Deep sea is where the addiction really kicks in.

Last edited by AGRV8D; 09-23-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Just be careful going down to the 45 south Fishing Tackle Unlimited. Don't leave anything in your vehicle that can be seen, there's been a ton of break-ins down there. They are a good bunch of guys there and should at least point you in the right direction.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you wade you should get some good boots and guards. Sure there will be some old folks talk about how they have waded for x years bare foot in cut off jeans with no shirt. But all it takes is one hit and six months later you will still be regretting it. PFD's are not a bad idea either. Plenty of people recovered floating face down from wade fishing.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Any veteran fisherman here?